Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok Tarp 3.0
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 9LW
    Suspension
    Amok Suspension
    If you're okay with a bag instead of a top quilt, look at a Slumberjack Ultimate 20. It's definitely not a 20* bag, more like 40 at best, but it is light and compresses well (for a $40 bag). I used it for a few years before I upgraded to down. It's not a bad bag to use until you can get a quality TQ or Bag.

Another question...

How well would this work: using an underquilt with a wool blanket? Or some kind of down blanket for the top. I will be in obviously dressed for the weather. I used a pad with my single layer last time and I didn't like it much.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMach1 View Post
    Another question...

How well would this work: using an underquilt with a wool blanket? Or some kind of down blanket for the top. I will be in obviously dressed for the weather. I used a pad with my single layer last time and I didn't like it much.
    Wool will not pack small...at all))))
    Go with down. A down blanket may let in cool air unless you perfect the Art of Good Tucking)))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl & ENO DN
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Buckle or Whoopie
    Down top & underquilts are lightest & most compressible, everything being equal.

Yes, top quilts pack smaller than sleeping bags. And, down is lighter & more compressible than synthetic. (That being said, the latest synthetic insulators are getting close to mimicking down. And, historically, they're cheaper.)

In my opinion, DIY'ng when starting from scratch isn't cost-effective unless you put little or no value on your personal time, you can get equipment & materials at minimal or no cost & you're sure you're going to make a bunch of stuff.

The most cost-effective way to achieve your goal of lighter, more compressible hammock insulation is to buy it from one of the reputable dealers mentioned on this forum.

Get out and hang,

fly fisher

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Do top quilts pack smaller than a sleeping bag?

On that note, do down bags pack up smaller than synthetic bags?
    Yes and yes.
    Packed size and weight will be greatly reduced by going to quality down.
    Down is the lightest most compressible insulation available. And can be pricey.

TQ's have evolved to be just enough to cover your body. Meaning no zippers, no hood, no excess fabric, and no back side full coverage, versus your sleeping bag. You rely on the UQ to provide back side warmth. It is a system, TQ/UQ or pad, go together.

One cheaper DIY option (if you got the skills?), is to trim down your present sleeping bag. Cut off the hood, and trim off both sides, eliminating the zipper's and ~3-4" of fabric/insulation. You'll reduce the SB's weight and pack size by a considerable amount.

This DIY step of course makes the bag strictly a TQ. So if you really use your SB in other camping trips, it will take a good pad in the future to maintain any ground sleeping comfort/warmth.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Yes, a top quilt rated to the same temperature and constructed of the same materials as a sleeping bag will pack smaller than that bag. Differences in construction materials and temperature rating will alter that, of course.

I'm one of those folks who avoided down for a few years, due to the price point and my fears of getting my stuff wet. I shaved weight and bulk elsewhere until I was back to my insulation.

Yep, down is expensive. On the other hand, it's worth it if you want very compressible, lightweight insulation.

Yes, some of the synthetics are close on weight (especially at warmer temperatures where the shell of the quilt[s] is/are a larger percentage of the total quilt[s] weight[s]); none of 'em are close on bulk. The most compressible synthetics that I've personally seen are 1.5x to 2x the size, compressed, of high-fill power down quilts rated to the same temperatures.

On the other hand, they tend to be 50% to 75% the cost of said quilts, so you need to make a call there: what's more important to you? Cost? Or packability?

I've been using a poncho liner for all of my trips for three years now, due to its price point, weight, and compressibility. However, it's gotten to the point where if I want to shed weight and pack volume, it's time for a down top quilt. I can make one, no problem. It's the price that's still giving me fits. For me, that's something I need to bite the bullet on this year. For you? I dunno; only you can answer that.

Yes, any kind of blanket will work for a top quilt, if you're able to tuck it under you well. However, they will have varying levels of effectiveness. A wool blanket won't compress...at all. Nor will polyester fleece. Synthetic polyester insulation (Climashield, Primaloft, et al) will compress some, but not as much as down (see above). Down will compress the most and be the lightest, especially at higher fill powers (850+ fp is the cottage standard these days; older and/or cheaper down products may be in the 550 fp range, which is close to the synthetic insulations' effective weight but still more compressible than the synthetics).

Insulation is often the most expensive single item outdoors, unfortunately, and it's one of the most necessary for a good night's sleep (and even safety, as far as that goes). It's worth purchasing good insulation once, rather than getting something half-baked and then spending even more money down the road, if that's possible for you. If not, then spend as little as you can for the temperatures you expect and then upgrade as soon as you can put together the funds.

At least, that's my opinion. YMMV, as always.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    The saying goes something like -

weight, quality, price - choose 2.

If something is inexpensive, its probably poor quality and heavy. If something is light weight, it's probably high quality and expensive. If something is high quality, it's probably light and expensive, etc. etc.

You get what you pay for. Save and buy once.

If you need something to get out and hang sooner than later then buy something cheap and use it a few times. If you're trying to build a kit that you can use for years, save up and purchase one time.

If you can use your current setup and hang comfortably, keep using it and save up.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images
    I'm a motorcycle camper so I'm toooo concerned with weight - bulk is another matter. I'm cheap too

Another question is what temps are you camping in?

I spent the $$ on a KAQ and it's been worth every penny. For topside I have a cheap Walmart mummy bag and a fleece sleeping bag liner.

I find this combo really flexible. I usually camp in the summer but sometime in the mountains it can get cool. I usually fall asleep with the fleece - if I wake up cold I can just drag the bag on top of me. I've slept down into the 40's with that setup.

My daughter is starting to sew and I'm going to see if she can cut the hood off the mummy bag - then it'll be perfect. Probably have $50 in the bag and fleece liner.

Jim

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhp45auto View Post
    I was in the same boat this year, I got the WBBB and also upgraded to my first down bag, Marmont Helium 15F bag. I have done 3 hangs in the 30F range, using my ground pad insulation and done fine.

Buy good gear when you can.
    Great bag! I bought the 15° Pinnacle a few years ago and it just screams quality. Kept me plenty warm down to 3° without even trying. But I wouldn't try taking it that low if sleeping on the ground.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Another question...

The pad should/will work very well if you have a Knotty Mod done on your single. If you don't, it's easy to add one externally. This can easily be done by hand with some grosgrain & a couple pieces of shock cord.
    The mod keeps your pad from flopping out and keeps it more in line with your lay.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast