Hammock
    WL Lite Owl & ENO DN
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Buckle or Whoopie
    My suspension is 7/64ths Amsteel with 1" webbing. It easily supports my 200 pound load with plenty of safety factor. I'm not losing any sleep worrying whether or not my suspension is going to fail.

I feel the weakest point of my system is the hammock fabric & construction. I've seen several hammocks fail for various reasons.

Inspect your system. And, don't hang any higher than you're willing to fall.

Pleasant dreams,

fly fisher

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    My day hike hammock has an all amsteel suspension in 7/64ths. Easy to throw in a cargo pocket when going for a walk.

The daily use hammock has 1/8th amsteel or webbing. Having used all of these setups with several 300lb+ hangers for more than a year, including daily use for some, I would say you are good to go but since it is all about relaxing, go with what puts your mind at ease.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I sleep in mine every night. I worry about the eyehooks and wall, never about that skinny rope.

Frankly, I'm not that worried about the wall.

Long as you hang by the knot and not the toggle, you'll have a pleasant nights sleep without a sudden awakening.

Hammock
    Health
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Usa
    Suspension
    Whoopie, straps
    Images
    I've been using the harbor freight straps. They failed when combined with the metal buckles I got from dutch. Buckles are still fine, the straps failed. And it was only when using my two person couples hammock (three tree set up). I think those straps were rated under the load of the two of us combined but I thought with three corners I would be ok. Something about the way the buckles pinched the strap. I went back to descending rings with the strap and I haven't had any problems. I gues it is time to buy some real strap material.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images

You're Gonna Die

As it has been referenced here before...

Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    DH Sparrow DL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 11
    Insulation
    HG Incu20°/Burr0°
    Suspension
    Modified whoopies
    I use self made 1/8 amsteel whoopies/Atlas straps as well, and just make a habit of hanging no higher than needed to clear my lower gear hammock and/or my bug net. Have used this setup for 3 years now - (knocking on wood) no problems as yet.

I figure if the 'breaking strength' is 1500lbs+ (arbitrary number used for example), then I am well within the safe limits of daily use of the line at under 1/6th it's value.

I have to agree with the other posts as well though - no hanging over cliffs/fire pits/etc.

Cheers'

Dan

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    There is a cadre of folks here more concerned with weight and bulk than safety. They do all kinds of things. There is another cadre that reminds them that "if it did not break" does not mean "it's safe". The good news is that you get to pick the cadre you want to be in. I use 1/8 for my whoopee's but prefer straps. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    Some of the fabrics and cordage discussed here seem to have a sailing analog. How often are they replaced in that context? Every season? When they fail? Some time between the two?

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    I think I would be more worried about the fabric of the hammock body than the suspension. I have read more posts about the body letting go than the suspension.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

I've bothered more here on safety margins than most

Does that mean I expect to fall if I use ---carefully -- some 400 lb rated line for whoopie slings or soft-shackles? No, and I'd rather use them than sleep on the ground.

But, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them break if I fell on the hammock -- which, BTW, has stretch and mass, and therefor greater resilience to shock of a fall. And there are failure modes that have little to do with breaking strength. That key sticking out of your pocket, with pressure, can cause failure of a 2.8oz fabric-weight hammock as easily as the sharp edge of a buckle can cut into and contribute to failure of a strong strap of line.

Critical to the safe use of the line used here is that it can readily snap if dynamically loaded beyond its breaking strength. For more on this, find out about the different kinds of line that arborists, climbers, and cavers use, the difference between stuff for static vs dynamic loads.

Not paying so much attention lately, but there were some who insisted on the value of saving a few ounces from their 200--300 lb bodies and gear loads. Weight of line is about proportional to strength, and those few ounces are the penalty to using 7/64" instead of Dynaglide, or 1/8" instead of 7/64" if you are husky, or hike and hang with forgetful fellas who might ask to borrow some suspension parts to replace what they left behind at the last campsite. I'm partial, for safety reasons, to seeing the penalty against the total load. Others insist on seeing the penalty as a fraction of the minimum weight for just that component. For scale: 5 quarters weigh about an ounce.

As for "I'm still here" replies: Well if you weren't we wouldn't hear from you. That kind of reporting is called survivorship bias.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 03-03-2014 at 20:08.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast