Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast

Nice!

I love it, Sara! Was also thinking it would be a good idea to make a practice bridge before tackling a full-sized one, so I'll be following in your footsteps here.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft 2.2 oz Hex 70
    Insulation
    HF wool DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling DIY
    I have been doing this piece by piece for months so ill try to remember the prices.

I made my own 11ft out of 4 yards of 2.2 oz Hex70 XL from Ripstop by the roll. 6.70 per yard total 26.80
    I sewed a rolled hem and channels for the gather head and foot end.
    I used Amsteel for the ridge line, continuous loops, cordage for under quilt, and woopie slings 5.50 per 25 ft. total 24.00
    Thank you You Tube and Hammock Fourms for instructions on working with Amsteel
    Under quilt is a wool blanket from harbor freight total 11.75
    2 camp nano 22 caribeners 6.95 each Total 13.90
    2 sheer panels from Walmart for a bug net 5.00 each total 10.00

so Grand Total is 86.55

No idea what temp it will go to i'm in Florida and it is in my house I know it works well to 69 degrees AC in the house at night.

I hope this helps someone

22D066C4-6C31-4B6D-9D07-79BF6BAF7032.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft 2.2 oz Hex 70
    Insulation
    HF wool DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by Drusilla View Post
    I am also a newbie. After fifty three years of camping ( I'm 60 and started camping at age 7 with my parents ) I was having problems with pressure points no matter what the pad, and I was really getting tired of the crawl in and out of the tent for midnight "stargazing" and just general lounging or resting after or before hiking on long trails day after day after day. Honestly you're tired enouigh at the end of each day...why make more work when one's supposed to be resting? I have done the CDT and PCT (five times) and the AZT and CT and hope to hike the AT. I will admit that after losing 70 pounds in the last three years that I attested my uncomfortableness on the ground to having less padding. I was plainly suffering. I love to cowboy camp just because of the view all night and the ease of not having to crawl out of the tent, but where I live there are scorpions and rattle snakes and black widows and recluse spiders so cowboy camping often results in finding interesting bedfellows that you didn't know you had in the morning while packing up! I had a friend who did a part of the AZT with me, and she had a Warbonnet and it seemed so elegant and practical, so I started studying hammocking. I saved some $$$ with the intent of going as ultralight as possible and now have two Chameleons with the bug net and the vented top cover, beetle buckles and spider poly straps, one HG dyneema fiber standard tarp with doors and am waiting on delivery of a Warbonnet superfly in camo ( I like to stealth camp ). I am using a zepplin underquilt and a EE underquilt with my normal overquilts but I did splurge on a Sierra Sniviller just for the added possible poncho use. I'm a scientific type and am enjoying the learning curve and the fiddle factor is for me, fun. Once I got it "right" it was amazing. Never have I slept so well with less tossing and turning than ever, in fact I may just put my bed in the guest room when I move and just go to hammock sleeping 24/7.
    I was having the same issue with pressure points in beds and it was bothering my back. I now sleep 24/7 in my hammock and my wife got a smaller bed that she can sleep in. I love sleeping in the hammock full time its just a pain to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    $110 on Amazon.

Got this for fun. I was really impressed by what you got for $40. I replaced the cordage and suspension then slept in it for two weeks inside and out. Leadvent Hammock kit. First link below.

Got a cheap underquilt ($60) and was good to high 30's (5c) in 22mph gusts. No UQP Thermal Base layer all I had on, 40(7)° bag for a top quilt.

Stretchy fabric, the right sag matters a bit.
    I am 5'7" 150# (170cm 68k) the Hammock is 9'5"(117cm).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KLQFXWQ...ing=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0834QVDLW...p_mob_ap_share

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I finally slept overnight in a hammock and can stand behind this set-up as it was pretty comfortable for me. I am 5'5, 140lbs.
    Total: ~$20 I slept in this indoors on a Amazon Basics stand and a cheap throw blanket.
    • Amazon knock-off of Double Hammock ~$16 , something like this one (not the one I own since its been 2 years), and comes with carabiners and daisy chains.
    • Daiso Picnic Mat ~$2, cheaper in stores at Daiso as it is $1.50 item for a 60cm x 90cm foam picnic mat. Lay this out in hammock and used some tape to keep in place, and definitely solved the too hot on top too cold bottom issue I had before inserting this. This foam is basically very thin packing foam, so you can probably find even cheaper if you don't have a Daiso near you.

I am upgrading my set-up so that I can go camping. (I have only used hammock indoors or on balcony). After reading all 37pages of this thread and many other threads, I have purchased, but have yet to test and compare these items: ~$220 including tarp and tools.
    • The cheapest 11ft hammock I can find: ~$30
    • A used tarp with mosquito netting shelter and tent pegs: ~$75
    • 5meters of 25mm polyester webbing on ebay: ~$4
    • The cheapest goose down sleeping bag with 15D ripstop and baffled walls that I can find to make a Clew UQ (and no blankets at Costco during this time of the year): ~$100
    • Clew UQ making tools: ~$25

Not sure why I am spending 10x the money for this just so I can go "camping" as the $20 set-up is pretty decent for home use.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird
    I love this idea, I've been trying to get more friends into hammock camping recently!

Realistically, if someone is not committed and is just getting started, I'd just say to get whatever cheap $15 hammock they can find and tubular webbing ($10) to hang it in their backyard, and tie a throw blanket underneath for insulation. But for a full hammock camping setup...

If I'm trying not to overwhelm people, I recommend them an inexpensive starter kit plus whatever insulation fits in their budget, and espouse the wonders of ridgelines. Most friends who say they hate hammocks, on further questioning, either didn't know how to get the sag dialed in right, slept banana-style instead of on the diagonal, or didn't know about underquilts and froze their butts off. (Thank you HF.net for teaching me about all these things.)

Context: I'm 4'10", 105lb. I run very cold, so I optimize for warmth first. I love utility knots and splicing but will restrain myself in these recommendations to anything that can be accomplished with only overhand knots and sheet bends. I'm including structural lines and bugnet in all these. I'm not including shipping+tax, which is kind of cheating.

Under $50, least overwhelming
    Amazon sells a bunch of complete camping hammock sets with everything but the insulation included. Saves newbies from getting overwhelmed by all the bits and pieces and guylines and suspensions. Caveat that most of these inexpensive hammocks are standardized at 9.5', so taller people probably won't love them.
    - This $42 kit includes a netted hammock 9.5' long, 10x10 tarp, daisy chain straps, carabiners, guylines, and stakes.
    - Insulation: Any warm blanket you already have around the house, at least 4'x6'.
    - Cordage: If you have cordage or rope lying around the house (clothesline?) that can safely sustain 100lb, use that. Otherwise, get 25' of paracord ($8) from the hardware store. Make one piece with overhand-knotted loops on each end for a non-adjustable ridgeline. Tie some to the corners of the blanket to make an underquilt suspension.
    Total: $43-50

Under $100
    Same as above, but upgrade the insulation to a Costco down quilt ($25). If not available, can get a military surplus poncho liner ($20-35?), but it's heavier and less packable.
    - Can optionally add $10 tarp clips for convenience or get 10' of shock cord ($6) to make a better UQ suspension.
    Total: $75-95

Under $200
    Same as above, but upgrade the insulation to an AHE Jarbidge 25F underquilt ($100). I scoured the entire internet for underquilts and this was the only one that met my requirements of being under $150, under 1.5lbs, and actually warm down to its rating. I'm also short enough that it's a full length UQ for me. Ugh I love this thing.
    - Bonus: Buy an adjustable structural ridgeline. AHE's is $14.
    Total: $150-164

Under $200, for people who need a long hammock
    - Hammock ($45): Dutchware 11' netless.
    - Net ($22): from Amazon.
    - Tarp ($10): 8'x12' from the hardware store.
    - Suspension+cordage ($18): tubular webbing or mule tape for tree straps, and cord for structural ridgeline + tarp lines from local hardware store.
    - Insulation ($105): AHE Jarbidge 25F underquilt + $5 foam sitpad for foot insulation.
    Total: $200

My actual hammock backpacking setup is in my profile. Honestly, if I upgrade my heavy tarp to an SLD Asym Tarp (5.25oz??), I think I'll have achieved my 3-season endgame kit. I do love the idea of an SLD Trail Lair but my $30 netless hammock + net setup is fine enough by me that it's not worth the upgrade cost to me to shave a few ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by rhotic View Post
    I love this idea, I've been trying to get more friends into hammock camping recently!

Realistically, if someone is not committed and is just getting started, I'd just say to get whatever cheap $15 hammock they can find and tubular webbing ($10) to hang it in their backyard, and tie a throw blanket underneath for insulation. But for a full hammock camping setup...

If I'm trying not to overwhelm people, I recommend them an inexpensive starter kit plus whatever insulation fits in their budget, and espouse the wonders of ridgelines. Most friends who say they hate hammocks, on further questioning, either didn't know how to get the sag dialed in right, slept banana-style instead of on the diagonal, or didn't know about underquilts and froze their butts off. (Thank you HF.net for teaching me about all these things.)
    Yes, the learning curve is steep, and just graduating from daisy chains is taking a while. There are just too many ways, products, situations, weights and weight capacities to consider.
    Do you think the 25F underquilt is the perfect temperature rating for California? (I am also short and sleeps cold, and will be hanging around Bay Area). I am trying to decide on a versatile temperature quilt set for California nights, which is still relatively cold during the summer. Do you have a matching temperature top quilt to go with it? I do not own any camping equipment, well until last week, but still time to change my mind.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ahhhh yes......the Hammock Learning Curve~~
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven