Tarp
    BCUSA UL Multicam
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing

TQ Question Help

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to replace my sleeping bag with a nice TQ so far I like the Burrow the most, I have a couple of questions that I sent to HammockGear but haven't been able to get a reply as yet (close to a week, I know they're a cottage company and are busy) they're pretty generic questions so I was hoping some of the members here who have the burrow might be able to help.

Basically i'm after a TQ to use in my WBBB XLC most of the time but I also want to be able to go to ground with it. I live in Australia so the Burrow 20 will likely cover me all through winter etc.

I'm 6ft and 190lb so i'm trying to find out which size will be best given my needs will the standard be enough when going to ground or will the standard/wide be better???

I know everyone that has the burrow seems very happy with them so I know i'll get great quality but being in Australia I just want to make sure I get the right size for my needs.

Thanks in advance everyone

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

TQ Question Help

A top quilt for ground use needs to be wider than one for hammock use. You definitely want to go wide to prevent drafts while you're on the ground.
    In a hammock, the hammock sides, and underquilt, wrap part of the way up around your sides. So the top quilt doesn't need to be as wide.
    The ground is flat, or worse, you are up on a pad, the quilt needs to wrap around, even a bit below you.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I was in the same position as you. I got:

1 x Burrow 20°
    (Outer Shell Color: Black, Inner Shell Color: Olive Green, Length: Long 79" (+$15), Width: Wide 55" (+$20), Footbox Style: Snap closed , Taper: Straight taper (standard), Overfill (oz): 2 ounce (+$16.00))

I'm 6'1" and about 215. I've used this both in my hammock and on the ground, in a tent with a pad. Overall, I'm happy with the quilt -- both this quilt, and that I got a quilt to replace my old synthetic bag I'd been using.

What would I do differently? Well, I'm not so sure I'd have gone quite so wide (it really seems overkill in the hammock), mainly to reduce weight. You can get tabs on the exterior through which you string shock cord. This allows you to wrap it under a pad, which helps in keeping the sides wrapped around you. I have used those sometimes, not other times. Then again, I haven't tried the normal width on the ground, so take this with a grain of salt. Maybe it depends on exactly how often you think you'll sleep on the ground.

I also think I would have gotten the sewn footbox. I think, even sleeping on the ground, I'd rather have this closed up. And, I think it would be a bit warmer on the feet to have the sewn footbox. YMMV

I've considered maybe putting my Burrow up for sale, to replace it with the same thing just regular width and sewn footbox. But, haven't done that yet, and not entirely certain I will...

Hammock
    WBBB DL Multicam
    Tarp
    BCUSA UL Multicam
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    thanks for the replies...

drchip thanks for the info. I'm trying to work out if I get the sewn footbox if I need to get a long instead of the standard?

I think I will get the wide, just to give the added versatility. I have a Klymit Insulated Static V I intend to testing a bit this winter so might be going to ground a bit. I will also be getting mine in multicam to match my WBBB

SNAFU

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I think -- THINK -- that you need it longer when you get the snapped rather than the sewn footbox. With the sewn footbox, you can really use the full length of the quilt. With the snapped footbox, there's a drawcord that cinches it closed on the end, and that loses some usable length.

At least I think that's the way it works. Maybe someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

Hammock
    WBBB DL Multicam
    Tarp
    BCUSA UL Multicam
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    drchip,

Again thanks for taking the time to reply. I shot Adam another email with questions and this time he was able to get back to me (thanks mate I know how busy running your own business can be) and he cleared a few things up for me. In regards to the footbox I will post up what Adam sent me in the email so it may clarify things for anyone else that had been wondering the same thing as me.

"The Snap Burrow is longer when it is laid out because it needs the extra material at the end to close things up when the foot box is created. That is whey you will see that the standard length Burrow with the snap foot box is 78 inches when it is laid out. 4-5 inches is taken up when the snaps are secured and the draw cord is closed. All of that is to say that the standard length Burrow, in either the sewn OR the snap foot box, will be the right one for someone of your height."

So it looks like i'll be ordering a Multicam Standard/Wide when my next pay comes through

SNAFU

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Smokehouse 1
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by SNAFU View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking to replace my sleeping bag with a nice TQ so far I like the Burrow the most
    I did the same thing. Been tent camping so far but looking at moving to hammock. But still want the option to tent camp. I replaced my sleeping bag with a Burrow 20*, sewn closed foot box, standard length, 55" wide and half taper. This is working great for me on a pad. I am 5'11" 240lbs. Much better than a sleeping bag. That sleeping bag zip was making me curse a lot

• + New Posts