Anyone tried tapered baffles to prevent down migration?

Hi all, I recently made myself a down summer top quilt with ~1" baffles and I'm very happy with the performance, although concious of the need to make sure the down is evenly distributed in use. I based the fill on a 30% overstuff with 5" wide horizontal baffles and did notice that if you don't carefully fluff and distribute the down it does have a tendancy to shift to the sides.

I'm looking at making a 3 season quilt now with ~2" baffles and one idea I had to reduce the chances of down migration is to taper the baffles towards the edge of the quilt. For example have 2" high baffles for the middle half of the quilt width and taper the baffle height down to say 1" from there to the edges. I'd still stuff the quilt as for uniform 2" baffles and I think this would result in quite plump baffles at the edge of the quilt, preventing the down from shifting off the top. I guess the potential downside would be more cold seeping in at the edges due to the narrower baffles, though the edges should be largely tucked in and I feel like you probably need a bit less down towards the edges.

Has anyone tried this method before or anyone have thoughts or comments?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    So does it look kind of like this from the side (not bird's eye view)?

I think Hammock Gear Incubators taper the feet, except it's much longer. And I think the purpose of that is just to decrease weight, while concentrating warmth to the torso.

Edit: Sorry for the lazy drawing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So I'm imagining a top quilt with horizontal baffles and the bafle wall material is shaped like in the attached picture. The baffles reduce in height towards the edges of the quilt, in other words where you would tuck it into your sides. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my description.

Others have come up with other solutions to mitigate down shifting such as using lengthwise baffles in addition to the horizontal baffles to prevent the down from shifting (http://seatosummitultralight.blogspo...old-spots.html).

That approach seems like a lot of extra work sewing, I was wondering if anyone had done or thought about the approach I outlined above.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    It would hold it towards the centre but I've never experienced down shifting unless its damp or underfilled. I imagine it would be pretty easy to try out on a DIY project though and the down can easily be harvested for another TQ if it doesn't work out.

I've just made a diagonal sewn baffle quilt which could help with down shift (though I tend to think it will exacerbate down shift)

I'll be interested in how your turns out though, good luck

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Von Porkchop View Post
    It would hold it towards the centre but I've never experienced down shifting unless its damp or underfilled. I imagine it would be pretty easy to try out on a DIY project though and the down can easily be harvested for another TQ if it doesn't work out.

I've just made a diagonal sewn baffle quilt which could help with down shift (though I tend to think it will exacerbate down shift)

I'll be interested in how your turns out though, good luck
    I know this is for an underquilt, but you may find this calculator useful for giving you an approximation of how much down you need.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=53701

Edit: Does anybody know if you can use topquilt designs and underquilt designs interchangeably?

• + New Posts