Hammock
    Blackbird Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Images

Single Stuff Sac System

I have been lurking and reading here for a while now and got bit by the hammock bug and I just got my first hammock; a Blackbird and 3 season Yeti and would like to simplify and minimize my packing and setup. Does anyone use a single large bishop sac to stuff their entire sleep system into complete. I was considering leaving my down bag in the hammock with underquilt attached and just stuff the entire system into a single bishop sac. If there is anyone who uses this system and what size sac does it stuff nicely into?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Bakersfield... we're practically neighbors. Welcome to de-lurk-hood.

I think if I were to opt for your method, I would just stuff the whole works into the pack liner with clothing and roll down the top, then put all the rest on top - bear canister, kitchen kit, water filter, anything else that isn't going to threaten survival if it's wet. But I am typically a 3 season hiker in the Sierras and rarely encounter anything more than an afternoon shower.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 15
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Just got bit myself but my first hammock won't be arriving until the end of the month.

The only problem with this system is it may make things too easy, in which case there could be a law against it.

If not, getting a double-ended stuff bag the right size would be the only impasse. My sleeping bags range in their "stuffed" dimensions from pocket-size to double-armfull, so the idea of over & underquilts is beginning to grow on me.

I travel by water though, and am thinking about doing something like this with a #2 Duluth Pack. The two ropes can then hang out the two "earholes" and the pack itself can expand or contract to accomodate whatever bag/quilt is necessary. If everything is stuffed into the same place at once, when you have part of it you have all of it. Nothing gets lost.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    You might like a gearskin pack.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    what about... a double ended stuff sack like what comes standard for the BB, only larger... exept: it has extension collars on each end much like some backpacks.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Yea, I do that: Down No sniv Underquilt# from JRB, Skeeter beeter hammock without the netting, RayWay Overquilt all fit in one double ended BlackBishop sack.
    Take down with 3 stuff sacks about 3 min* per sack. Take down with the BBS, about 5 min.
    Set up with 3 ss, about 3 min*. with the BBS 30 seconds!

#Soon to be my overquilt & a Hudson River as an underquilt.

*The time is mostly taken by hanging/taking down the UQ, but other "Issues" are getting out/in the seperate stuff sacks.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Yes, I'm doing that. I saw it on one of Shug's videos and thought I'd see if it would work for me. I just took an old larger sleeping bag stuff sack and cut a hole in the end and attached to my line. The biner on the end of the line clips to a strap on the end of the sack. It is great, quick, up and down. I really like it.

You might have to adjust the system if it's raining, as you might not want to put your bag and UQ in the bag with damp/wet lines/straps. I haven't had to deal with this yet, so we'll see.

Hope this helps, Randy
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    Blackbird Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Images
    What size sacks are you guys using to fit it all together? I was thinking a 12"x16" or 12"x19" would work nicely and loose to allow room for everything 4 season and then just stuff into the bottom of my pack.

Images
    Try making oversized skins for your setup. This is the method I use currently. Your hammock will have everything attached and be ready to sleep in as soon as you hang it and pull back the skins. It also fills the wasted space in your pack because you can stuff it into every little nook and cranny not taken up by your other items.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    what about... a double ended stuff sack like what comes standard for the BB, only larger... exept: it has extension collars on each end much like some backpacks.
    I would buy 2 of them today.

I pack my rig pretty much as the OP described, only I currently use the stuff sack for a really crappy (bulky and heavy) sleeping bag that's really big. When I was out hiking last week, every time I was packing my sleeping gear I was thinking how useful it would be to have sacks that could accommodate my hammock, underquilt, sleeping bag, and also had drawstring closures at both ends. Pretty much exactly what you're talking about, but the extension collars is a touch that I hadn't thought of.

Mesh pockets on the outside would great too for wet straps...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast