spent my first night in the backyard this weekend

I got an eno singlenest probably over 5 or 6 years ago as a Christmas gift from mom. This was before the company got any traction because she found it at some sort of craft show. I thought it was a neat gift but never messed with it.

Fast forward to this fall and I did some camping in Virginia to do some deer hunting. That was the first time I had camped in quite sometime. Now that my son is scouts I see myself camping a lot more. I slept horribly it was cold and I could not get comfortable on the ground. I'm a cop who works night shift so sleeping at night is hard enough for me without being so uncomfortable.

I broke out the Google and discovered this movement to hammock camping. I already had the hammock so I acquired a set of Atlas straps and started sleeping in the basement during the day. That helped my back almost immediately. I slowly assembled a kit adding a jarbridge underquilt and a tadpole tarp. For the tarp I also got 2 door kits and the pole mod.

I got a few hours alone on Saturday so I hung the tarp in porch mode and add the hammock. I spent a awhile outside just watching Netflix on my phone it was great about 65 degrees and absolutely perfect. I told my wife I was gonna sleep out tonight and I get the "you're crazy and pissing me off" look. My wife complains a little because we rarely get to share a night in bed together because of my schedule and I want to spend one of those few nights outside in a hammock. I try to explain it to her and I begin to see the futility so I just tell her I'm sleeping outside. It is quickly followed by her exiting the room shaking her head.

About 1030 I pop an ambien and check the weather it is around 40 degrees and supposed to drop to 30. I have my jarbridge underquilt I'm wearing some midweight Patagonia capilene I layer that with 100 weight fleece pants and jacket. I throw on a fleece beany and use a synthetic down vest as a pillow. For top insulation i use my north face aleutian sleeping bag rated for 20 degrees.

It takes a while but i finally got to sleep. About 4 I woke up with the dreaded cold but syndrome. I checked my phone and it said 30 degrees which is what my underquilt was rated too. Other than that I never got cold and enjoyed being outside. I decided I had done enough research and went in to watch sportscenter.

The big thing I took away was finally getting my underquilt adjusted properly. I really had to pull the suspension tight to get it up against the hammock. I was also surprised to discover that because I'm only 5 ft 6 in the jarbridge is actually a full length underquilt for me.

Hammock
    DIY 11-1/2' Argon w/knotty
    Tarp
    WB SuperFLY
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ+ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    That is awesome, I am trying to get more time to spend in my hammock. I work PT fire and I am resigning, because it is taking my weekends.

So more time for me and my Son to camp, and other family stuff also......I can't wait!!!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I remember getting that look (well, I still do).
    When I started, I didn't have 2 trees together in the backyard, so it was off to the garage.
    I think my wife said something like "is everything all right between us?"
    How else was I to test my UQ?

• + New Posts