Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=88283

Quote Originally Posted by onfire View Post
    Snr Moment - thanks for posting the images of your sock, it is very helpful to see it in 3D. I have a merkalon (fleece) sleeping bag liner which I might trial in the same way.

The idea of a breathable sock has me thinking now - perhaps I should incorporate a mesh strip along the bottom of the goretex sock so that any leaks / condensation can run down the sides and out of the bottom rather than gathering as a puddle
    That is what I am doing. I have been asking similar questions and bouncing ideas off guys in this thread:

Ok. It is the link at the top of this post.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Well, I have had good times and bad ones today. I have got further with my designs thanks to a number of threads (mostly on Hammock Forums) that have tried or explored the same ideas but I then discovered that the local military outfitters do not sell or work with MTP goretex / breathable membrane material :-( I got to looking at Pennine Outdoors and Point North Fabrics but there was simply too much choice ... and that all looked the same! PU coated nylon, PU coated polyester, Tectal, microfiber, pertex ......

So, I spent a bit longer on the design and realised that it wasn't workable without a little bit more preparation and eventually stitching ... but then I realised that I have 10m of khaki ripstop nylon (1.4oz) which I was going to make hammocks with ... and I think this will become my first sock (breathable, windproof but sadly not waterproof ... so it will still need a tarp in wet weather).

So ... my design so far:

Last edited by onfire; 02-25-2014 at 16:13.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Looks good Onfire. Whatever happened to the design on the right side of your second image?

Images
    When I made my DIY sock, I took some old bedsheets I was going to throw away, sewed them together into a large single sheet. Then I hung my hammock, put the bedsheet over the hammock, pinned it around the hammock to suit me. Then I cut of the excess fabric.

At that point you can unpin it and use it for a pattern to cut your real fabric.

Things I had to take into account included where the entry opening would be, openings at each end of the hammock, and an additional port in each side thru which I thread the side tie outs for my hammock.

The other thing making a pattern did was it helped me understand how I would sew the thing together, taking into account that I had to sew a zipper into it (my sock has a zipper closure)

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Well, I have had good times and bad ones today. I have got further with my designs thanks to a number of threads (mostly on Hammock Forums) that have tried or explored the same ideas but I then discovered that the local military outfitters do not sell or work with MTP goretex / breathable membrane material :-( I got to looking at Pennine Outdoors and Point North Fabrics but there was simply too much choice ... and that all looked the same! PU coated nylon, PU coated polyester, Tectal, microfiber, pertex ......

So, I spent a bit longer on the design and realised that it wasn't workable without a little bit more preparation and eventually stitching ... but then I realised that I have 10m of khaki ripstop nylon (1.4oz) which I was going to make hammocks with ... and I think this will become my first sock (breathable, windproof but sadly not waterproof ... so it will still need a tarp in wet weather).

So ... my design so far:

How long do you plan to make the zipper? it is surprisingly hard to get inside of a horizontal zipper unless it is VERY long. If I were you I would consider putting a slight bend in the zipper which would make the hole open a lot bigger.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Thank you Bushwacker ... the little doodle on the right hand side of the second image should have been labelled as the view along the ridgeline (as if looking through the anchor trees) to show the two separate pieces of fabric and the overlap which will serve as a mini pullout porch and stormflap over the zip

Thanks for that great idea UncleClark ... I have actually just thrown some sheets away :-( I have been trying to work the design so that I don't have to sew many seams but I think I will have to yield and sew the bottom curve as a seam rather than a fold. I intend to have a zip so the sheet template will help my make my mistakes in locating it before I use ripstop

That is a good point Refreshing. I am disappointed that my first idea didn't pan out with camo' goretex but now I am refreshed with the idea that the ripstop nylon might still be useful as a wind block / thermal barrier ... the ripstop might be slightly more pliable than Goretex but I am aware that the zip will need to be long to prevent damaging the ends.

I notice that a lot of the 'sock' threads on here have involved a smiley zip so I might go for a shallow unhappy zip with the door hanging down a little. Do you simply curve a straight zip or are there pre-bent ones for sale? I like the sock here: http://underquilts.com/shop/wexford-...re-tex-sock-2/ (I forget the name of the maker here on HF) but don't want the door to be quite so large to prevent the excess blowing or dragging on the floor

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I have actually just thrown some sheets away :-(
    Always can pick up some more from Value village and the likes.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / JRB UQ
    Images
    I did one sort of like that but without a zipper. It evolved when I needed a sock for a winter overnight trip the next day.

I took two hammock blanks that I didn't want to cut, sewed them together along a long edge and inserted shock cord on the long edge of one of the pieces. I used the gathered end channels to run the hammock suspension through, and then just draped the second piece over me like a lid. The shock cords are used to tighten it up around the hammock. I use hiking poles to either weigh it down or prop it open as required, it hasn't blown open in gusts up to 50kph.
    Simple but it works well, it could be tapered and tailored at each end to reduce weight but I probably won't bother since I can still use it as a DL hammock if I want/

This idea wasn't mine, it grew after seeing threads and videos from MacIntyre and Hangnout's Derrigible overcovers. There are more similar to that as well.
    Last edited by Ike; 02-26-2014 at 18:40.

instead of zippers and maming it an entire sock. couldnt you add shock cord along the hem like many of the bug nets?. would allow you to exit pretty quickly or enter quickly if needed. also saves some of the sewing and zippers

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast