SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    If coyotes were a problem for campers, we'd be hearing a lot more about it...

...or would we?!!??!!!

Of course we would, we'd be hearing about all the down someone harvested from an empty campsite!!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by g2outdoors View Post
    Earplugs. Crisis averted.
    +1 here. I've had crows, woodpeckers, coyotes, and other critters make all kinds of noise that keeps me awake - amazing how much better I sleep with some earplugs.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by hawghangar View Post
    +1 here. I've had crows, woodpeckers, coyotes, and other critters make all kinds of noise that keeps me awake - amazing how much better I sleep with some earplugs.
    I'd rather lay awake listening to the sounds of nature - wolves howling, loons calling across the lake, coyotes talking to each other!! I even found an alarm clock that has the sound of loons as one of the choices for the alarm...for the days at home when I have to use an alarm clock.

The only nature sounds I'd rather not hear are my fellow campers snoring...that I could use ear plugs for but then I'd miss the good sounds.

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●
    they are getting more aggressive it seems..someone i kno had two coyotes back down the germanshepard they had on leash...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Thanks for the report, them ole yotes can send a chill up ur spine especially when they wake you out of a dead sleep
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    Cat's Meow & IX UQ
    Suspension
    12'Poly Tree Strap
    I'm pretty sure my snoring keeps most of those critters away. We don't have bears here in Kansas. An occasional mountain lion, but that's about it besides the Coyotes. I enjoy listening to them when I'm awake. My buddies tell me that they don't hear my other critters when I get to sleep. Maybe they are wearing earplugs, I don't know lol.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBB Superfly
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Images
    Found out something funny as we checked out of the park. One of the ladies in the office asked about late check-ins the night before. The ranger stated I had put up my hammock on spot 27. The lady asked him..."Hammock? He's in a Hammock? Don't he know the Coyotes will get him?"

Seems the coyotes have been wandering into the camp grounds lately and are getting more bold. Although there was concern in the office, to date, no one has been bothered by the coyotes. More research on my part shows that coyotes are not a threat to tent or hammock dwellers if you follow simply campground rules...no food in tent, no trash in campsite, etc.

Now I know...the next time...I stay in the hammock.
    Hammocker Prayer - "Don't every let my wife sell my hammock equipment for what I told her I paid for it."

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post

The question comes to mind though, has anyone had one or more coyotes actually come into their camp or bother them directly in some other way?

Pappy
    I have years ago when tent camping. I was with some friends at a remote but developed campground just east of Jackson, TN. We set our tent up on one side of our campsite and then commenced to grilling brats in a bath of beer. (I know, we were just asking for wildlife.)

We had a good ol' meal but at about 2 am that morning the coyotes came in to investigate. I heard the howls first but they were all around us like they were right up on us. Our campsite had gravel that had been placed down to prevent erosion and I could hear coyotes walking right through the gravel right beside our tent. I could even hear them panting! Our tent was closed up so I didn't get up to look but each time they walked through I would make some noises and could hear them retreat back into the woods. They finally left but I didn't get much sleep that night!!

Hammock
    Dutchware half zipped
    Tarp
    Cheap Amazon speci
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UG
    Suspension
    Dutchware beetle b
    I'm actually more concerned about the two legged critters in areas people gather. I trust wildlife to do what is natural to them and be curious about who is in their area. People on the other hand are a bit more dangerous in my opinion.

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 03XJeep View Post
    I'm actually more concerned about the two legged critters in areas people gather. I trust wildlife to do what is natural to them and be curious about who is in their area. People on the other hand are a bit more dangerous in my opinion.
    +1 here. Remember waking up one night in a State Park campground after hearing a noise... my LED headlamp lit up a grown man that had two hands elbow deep in my cooler. Obviously surprised, he yelled that he "was just looking for firewood"... needless to say, we had some words.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast