Advice on fixed ridgeline hammock

I just finished the base of the WBBB plans from XringHunt from the following thread.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=38451

I'm pretty pleased being my first sewing adventure of any kind. I believe I understand a vast majority of what is needed. However, I've poked the loops of my fixed ridgeline through each gathered end and run the rope wrapped around the gathered end through it as you can hopefully see in the picture.

I measured and made the ridgeline ~83% of the length of the hammock. You can see that while it is hanging, the ridgeline is basically taut. However, when I get in the hammock the ridgeline sags.

My question is whether this is normal. Oh, I also just finished the stand. It was made from quite literally scrap lumber. The only cost involved to me was my time and the hardware. The instructions laid out in this thread made it a breeze.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...?t=8758&page=8
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    More than likely the para-cord you are using to suspend it is stretching. I've had it snap on me.
    Look into a better suspension would be my advice.
    GrizzlyAdams has some good videos on basic suspensions. Look in the Stickies under Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets.
    Carry forth.
    The hammock looks mighty fine indeed))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Don't you want the ridgeline inside the net?

Of course that has nothing to do with the sag. It should tighten some with your weight, so yeah, that's weird. There were some videos on the Warbonnet site that showed how much play should be in the ridge line when loaded. You should be able to rock your hand a bit with a little effort while grasping the ridge line when it is properly adjusted.

You do need to get the hang right for the hammock first, so you have more variables until you get it right and you are working with a prototype in a way. The hammock body may be breaking in too, just to make you really crazy. I would get it tweaked so the hammock feels right and then make the ridge line match that. One of the benefits of the ridge line is to make it easy to know when your hang is right. Take you time and keep tweaking. I had to just start all over once after getting frustrated with it.

+1 on paracord being the wrong stuff. Dynaglide is popular for ridge lines and you can work in a whoopie style adjustment to make easy adjustments. I used Zing It for my last one.

Does your hammock stand move at all when you lie in the hammock? That may be why the ridgeline is sagging.

You could test your ridgeline in a few different locations to rule this out.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Some time back, I built a bamboo turtledog stand with a bamboo cross beam. I strung up my Blackbird as tight as I could, only to have it sag upon getting into the hammock. My problem was, that the bamboo cross beam bent, thus decreasing the original length. This caused the ridgeline to sag.

My guess is that your stand flexes. When you get into the hammock, your weight might pull the ends of your stand towards you. If you are unsure, tie a second line to the ends of your stand outside and independent of your hammock. If you get into the hammock, and the second line sags, too, you've got your proof.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    The sag from the hang angle is greater than the sag the ridgeline sets. So yes, this is normal. Either reduce the ridgeline length, or hang it tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    When you get into the hammock, your weight might pull the ends of your stand towards you. If you are unsure, tie a second line to the ends of your stand outside and independent of your hammock. If you get into the hammock, and the second line sags, too, you've got your proof.
    I don't know why I didn't think of this. Great advice.

On the paracord, I don't know I intended to keep using it long term, but I don't know I would have thought it to break either, so thanks for pointing that out. I guess I have some more playing to do.

The stand is nice and sturdy, but I have no doubt the ends could be pulling in enough to account for the amount of sag I get. Probably trees won't do this!

Don't you want the ridgeline inside the net?
    Yes, and it will be. The pictures may not make this clear. I'm trying to ensure the length is right before I sew in the bug netting, but the ridgeline will stay inside.

The hammock looks mighty fine indeed))))
    Thanks. I'm pretty happy with it aesthetically, and I know the next one will be far better. I've had a blast putting it together.

• + New Posts