DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images

Arrow Alternate Use for Bridge Spreader Bars(Pic Heavy)

So I started a thread awhile back in the Donating Member section detailing the progression of my MYOG Backpack that was designed around my Bridge Hammock Spreader bars. Often the problem with bridge hammocks is they are simply too heavy for some people to haul on backpacking trips. The bars add about 10oz to the pack-weight. There are however other options like using hiking poles as spreader bars.
    Dutch had designed a backpack awhile ago that utilized the spreader bars as part of the frame and this influenced me to try and design my own version over the past year. I am really happy with the results of it and it is very comfortable with 25lbs load in it. The spreader bars are a perfect frame for the pack. Here is a few pics of how the spreader bars are laid out as well as the hammock they go to. You can see the complete process by checking out the "Backpacks" section in the Donating Member Section. You can also check out my channel for some videos, documenting the process of making it. Anyways, hope this gives some hope to those who would like to bring their bridge hammocks on backpacking trips but were put off by the added weight.

My bridge hammock uses two full length bars at the head end and a 12 5/8" and full length at the foot end. So I took the short bar and drilled a hole at each end for the tips of two of the spreader bars to lock into. Then picked up a 1/2" thin walled pvc pipe for the opposite end to lock into. The 3rd bar is unused at the moment but I may add it as the middle bar later on. Not sure if the spreader bar can handle a hole in the middle of it. Gonna wait on some advise first. The square frame then nests in two pockets I made with some side release buckles attached to some webbing to tighten everything down.
    I haven't field tested this pack yet but plan to this weekend. I have tried it on with full pack weight and it is very comfortable.

Would love to hear comments, suggestions on this topic. I am really starting to like my bridge hammock and finding a 2nd use for the spreader bar was great. Not to mention, a great excuse for making my first backpack. This was supposed to be a prototype but it turned out so well I gave it a name. "Scrambler"

Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wow! That is great work. Your backpack looks pro. I love this idea.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    I think it looks great but I am not sure I want to break down my pack that far to put my hammock up. Sewing of the pack looks great.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon Special
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Wow that looks amazing! I'm always floored at what some of you guys come up with and your thread injecting skills.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Great work, looks very professional

I hope you bring that to MAHHA for a hands on
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    This looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Canoefor2 View Post
    I think it looks great but I am not sure I want to break down my pack that far to put my hammock up.
    I would see it as setting up the hammock minus the spreader bars (along with your tarp etc. pretty much setting up fully minus the spreaders on your hammock) then under your tarp if it's raining doing the break down of the pack to get the spreaders out and inserting them then.

I wouldn't see this changing my setup routine much as you can still put the hammock up 99% of the way.

You taking pre-orders

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderv7 View Post
    Wow! That is great work. Your backpack looks pro. I love this idea.
    Thanks boulderv7
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoefor2 View Post
    I think it looks great but I am not sure I want to break down my pack that far to put my hammock up. Sewing of the pack looks great.
    Thanks. Actually you dont have break down the pack at all to slip out the spreader bars. It's actually very easy to take them out and no more difficult than taking spreader bars out that are just simply inside the pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy247 View Post
    Wow that looks amazing! I'm always floored at what some of you guys come up with and your thread injecting skills.
    Thanks Cowboy, these projects are very doable and I hope to see others give it a try. That is why I tried to document the process alittle. I will do more detailed videos on future packs to help out others that may be interested in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
    Great work, looks very professional

I hope you bring that to MAHHA for a hands on
    Thanks, TZBrown. Yeah I will be bringing it. Might have a 2nd one complete by then.

Images
    Very nice looking.

The 10 oz in hardware sounded a little high at first. I just put my spreader bars, end pieces and the Dutch hardware for the Hikingdad hammock on the scale and it was indeed 10.4oz.

Out of curiosity I pulled one of the stays out of my Kelty Flight pack and it came in at 2.8 oz. So if the spreader bars were a convenient one to one swap with my stays, I'd effectively save 5.8oz off the Bridge since its going into the pack. That is assuming you use stays in your pack to begin with. The lighter pack options do not use them so you're making a bit of concession just to involve them at all.

After that I started to wonder about the logic of a bridge skin.
    I've seen cuben packs in the range of 6-8oz and expect to make one in the next year.

Since cuben isn't suitable for the hammock we can't make a cuben bridge skin.

I suspect in terms of shear weight, you'd be better off with a heavier bridge hammock and a crazy light cuben pack. I'd like to know how the math works out for you.

There are of course many reasons to build a bridge (I am) or a bridgeskin (probably do it one day). I'm drilling down on weight just to get some perspective.

Is the weight of the bridge skin less than the weight of a bridge itself and the pack (with no stays) you'd otherwise make or buy? What's the difference?

What if we compare the weight of the bridgeskin to the weight of a pack that uses the spreader bars as stays. The spreader bars will be a heavy stay, but we effectively lose some weight like that and could still use cuben for the pack.

Also for those considering a bridge its worth comparing the weight of a normal hammock plus pack compared to the bridge/pack or bridgeskin options regardless of how you want to account for the spreader bar/stay weight.

Thoughts for additional development...
    I've seen how Dutch's model folds up and buckles together, I can't tell how your pack comes apart. It sounds some of the guys are moving towards hammocks with down baffles in the bottom so it has an integrated UQ. and they effectively remove a layer of fabric since the hammock is now the top layer of their UQ.
    The Dutch version would leave this very exposed when in pack mode as rain could come in from the sides without a very effective rain cover or commitment to use a Packa in even the lightest drizzle.
    Do you think your pack would have this issue?
    Is making a bridgeskin with integrated UQ possible?
    We would effectively be making one piece of fabric the hammock body, pack fabric and UQ top layer.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    Very nice looking.

The 10 oz in hardware sounded a little high at first. I just put my spreader bars, end pieces and the Dutch hardware for the Hikingdad hammock on the scale and it was indeed 10.4oz.

Out of curiosity I pulled one of the stays out of my Kelty Flight pack and it came in at 2.8 oz. So if the spreader bars were a convenient one to one swap with my stays, I'd effectively save 5.8oz off the Bridge since its going into the pack. That is assuming you use stays in your pack to begin with. The lighter pack options do not use them so you're making a bit of concession just to involve them at all.

The bars transfer the load to the waist-belt from the top of the pack and stiffen up the backpanel that tends to be rounded ballooned on other frameless packs. Its a preference thing I guess. Concession? Just gonna have to I disagree. No worries. This pack can handle 30lbs, perhaps even more but I doubt I will ever load it more than 25lbs and that is simply because my base weight is getting lighter and lighter. Its just a backpack that utilizes the spreader bars as the frame.

After that I started to wonder about the logic of a bridge skin.
    I've seen cuben packs in the range of 6-8oz and expect to make one in the next year.

Since cuben isn't suitable for the hammock we can't make a cuben bridge skin.

I suspect in terms of shear weight, you'd be better off with a heavier bridge hammock and a crazy light cuben pack. I'd like to know how the math works out for you.

Have no idea as I have no plans to ever own a cuben pack. I would rip a cuben pack pretty fast. Those packs are for those who have better luck than I. Id be the first one to snag it on a branch or damage it crossing a fallen tree on a trail.

There are of course many reasons to build a bridge (I am) or a bridgeskin (probably do it one day). I'm drilling down on weight just to get some perspective.

Is the weight of the bridge skin less than the weight of a bridge itself and the pack (with no stays) you'd otherwise make or buy? What's the difference?

What if we compare the weight of the bridgeskin to the weight of a pack that uses the spreader bars as stays. The spreader bars will be a heavy stay, but we effectively lose some weight like that and could still use cuben for the pack.

Also for those considering a bridge its worth comparing the weight of a normal hammock plus pack compared to the bridge/pack or bridgeskin options regardless of how you want to account for the spreader bar/stay weight.

Hmmm...I am not sure, this pack is just a backpack that utilizes the spreader bars as the internal frame. Its really nothing like the Bridgeskin. You could try asking it in the Bridgeskin thread and see what others think.

Thoughts for additional development...
    I've seen how Dutch's model folds up and buckles together, I can't tell how your pack comes apart. It sounds some of the guys are moving towards hammocks with down baffles in the bottom so it has an integrated UQ. and they effectively remove a layer of fabric since the hammock is now the top layer of their UQ.
    The Dutch version would leave this very exposed when in pack mode as rain could come in from the sides without a very effective rain cover or commitment to use a Packa in even the lightest drizzle.
    Do you think your pack would have this issue?
    Is making a bridgeskin with integrated UQ possible?
    We would effectively be making one piece of fabric the hammock body, pack fabric and UQ top layer.

My pack doesnt come apart like Dutch's pack. His pack just gave me inspiration to incorporate the spreader bars into the frame is all. My pack is made with PU coated water resistant material and the next one will be made with 200psi waterproof fabric. Not too worried about rain. Some may absorb into the 3D-Spacer-Mesh but other than that, water will just roll off the pack.
    I appreciate the response. I think I addressed everything, but if not just let me know.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Just posted the final review of the pack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast