Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    Scott Von Pork chops mentioned the spreader bar being heavy. The one on my new Ridge runner isn't so heavy unless I'm really concerned about being UUL. But since it only spread the hammock ends and is under compression (yes?) I have to wonder why it's the size it is?
    For various reasons I won't be using my trekking poles but wouldn't a thinner and less bulky tent pole set serve? Especially those with inserted bungee cords?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    No, a thinner tubing would not work reliably and I'm confident the standard .340" tent pole tubing would fail immediately. There have been a few reports of the standard WBRR spreader bars catastrophically failing with hangers over 200 lbs. Brandon has a larger diameter head end spreader available for them.

With the standard pole you have to be careful not to exert side loading such as pulling on it to move around or using it as an armrest when sitting.

I'm sure someone has or will use a slightly lighter pole, but they are pushing the limits.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Only thing left to do is work those pole pieces into a bucksaw. Practically there now.
    Tempting, but I suspect that would destroy them.
    Hmmmm

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I have a double hammock to build this weekend and then I will be on to the next pack made from rockywoods Xpac Expedition Multicam fabric. This will also use the spreader-bars as the frame. Now that I kind of know what to expect alittle, I will be able to shoot better videos of the build. If yall enjoy the process of making gear, then this is the ultimate project to take on. It is alot of fun and I hope yall give it a shot. Just try and source all your materials from the same place, shipping is what was killing me on the cost of this pack. Also, whatever amount of webbing that you think you will need, double it or triple it.

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey X. Ae you going to post the new videos? I think I am going to try one of these. I love the spreader bar frame. What are your thoughts on using the PVC piece on the bottom. I'm thinking that bottom piece will take the most abuse.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker42 View Post
    Hey X. Ae you going to post the new videos? I think I am going to try one of these. I love the spreader bar frame. What are your thoughts on using the PVC piece on the bottom. I'm thinking that bottom piece will take the most abuse.
    Yeah it will take the heaviest hits and could easily be swapped out for some 3/4" aluminum. But to be honest, I think the thin-walled pvc will do ok. I will put some abuse on it this weekend and let ya know how it did. I have broken that pvc with my hands before so who knows.

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was just thinking the last thing you want is a ding in the spreader bar. I could picture myself laying there watching my fat rear end slowly bend the bar in half. Just ever so slowly thinking....oh S.........

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, the videos are abit long and draggy at times. I try to edit them down to eliminate some of that but can only go so far with editing. They are merely there for those who are DIYing their own packs and trying to soak in some info on what worked for me and what didnt. On the future builds I will plan out all the steps and footage so that everything flows nicely and is short and to the point. I am a bit of a rambler.
    I rarely watch any videos TBH so don't change on my account I've always preferred pictorial guides as they are much easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeVee View Post
    Scott Von Pork chops mentioned the spreader bar being heavy. The one on my new Ridge runner isn't so heavy unless I'm really concerned about being UUL. But since it only spread the hammock ends and is under compression (yes?) I have to wonder why it's the size it is?
    For various reasons I won't be using my trekking poles but wouldn't a thinner and less bulky tent pole set serve? Especially those with inserted bungee cords?
    I'm in no way UL but I just wont take, needless, extra fat up the mountain. If they can be introduced into a pack like Xtrekker has it opens up the possibility, for me, to use them.

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Very nice as always. Thanks!
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    Take extra fat up the mountain? Hey! I resemble that remark.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast