WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images

Kayaks and Hammocks - southern Tallapoosa/Coosa/Alabama Rivers - May 30-June 1

This weekend Hetairoi and I decided to meet up and take a long weekend kayaking trip. We chose a ~70 mile river route from Tallasee AL to Montgomery AL that was composed of the last ~50 miles of the Tallapoosa River to it's junction with the Coosa River (there they combine to form the Alabama River) and then continued south another ~20 miles into Montgomery AL. This river section is very slow moving, with lots of slack/flatwater, but is quite scenic and largely remote and uninhabited. It was a wonderfully quiet journey.

Background - We actually had paddled the first portion of this trip once before, but wanted a longer voyage this time. So, when looking at the map it was a no-brainer to just extend the trip further south to Montgomery (which worked nicely for a number of logistical reasons).

Friday - I made the drive down to Montgomery and met up with Hetairoi. We had a leisurely dinner and spent the evening chatting and catching up.

Saturday - Hetairoi's girlfriend shuttled us to Tallasee AL. We launched into the Tallapoosa River below Thurlow Dam just above the last rapid in the dam's tailwater section. We spent the day paddling steadily but leisurely, enjoying the beautiful scenery, observing and listening to the waterfowl (herons, cranes, hawks, bluejays, etc) go about their lively river routine. Late in the afternoon we came across a large rock that sloped into the water beside a high bank with a row of spanish-moss covered trees...an obvious camping spot. So, we slid our kayaks onto the rock, climbed up and made camp just in time to get a nap before having dinner while watching a lovely and colorful sunset. Mileage for the day was about 20.

Sunday - We woke relatively early, and took our time striking camp and beginning the day's journey. Not long after setting out, I had a nice-sized bass jump briefly into my kayak, which very amusingly caught me off-guard. He flopped back into the water as quickly as he came, though, so all I could do was laugh and be amazed. So, we paddled on steadily for the rest of the day, again enjoying the quiet calm, the birds, and the views of the river. Late in the afternoon we came to the junction of the Tallapoosa/Coosa Rivers, where there are a a number of islands. We paddled down the river a short distance before finding a nice little beach on one of the islands with a grove of shade trees behind it. We camped there for the evening, again getting a nap before having dinner while watching the sunset. We covered about 30 miles for the day.

Monday - We woke a little late, but weren't in a rush. We again took our time setting out, and paddled steadily through the morning, despite a couple of brief stops to explore interesting places along the bank. Late in the morning we came across a striking old swing-span railroad bridge, and were enjoying the view when Hetairoi noted the sound of a train in the distance. So, we paused for a few minutes and enjoyed watching the train roll over the dilapidated old span. After that, we continued paddling on. The temperature really started to heat up during the middle of the day, but luckily we were just paddling the last stretch into the marina in Montgomery. So, we took out at the marina and loaded our gear just in time to have a late lunch on the deck at the marina's restaurant before calling the trip complete.

Enough report...on to a few pics..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Some more pics..
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    A few more pics...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Just a few more...

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    It would have been nice for that bass to stick around long enough for you to club it in the head and cook it up for dinner.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    AS,
    nice report...love all the great pics
    What kind of boat is yours? what are the advantages/disadvantages Vs the other Carolina boat?
    Thanks
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

great trip report..thanks for sharing
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    seen out of my office window right now...a couple of high-rises in the distance, cars speeding down a busy street in the foreground, a lot of asphalt. On my computer screen....ahhhhh.....thanks for the pics.

Grizz

Hammock
    Super Traveler
    Tarp
    Spinn OES-2QZQ-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator by SC
    Suspension
    Dutch wear
    Images

Sham Wow!!

Sham Wow!! Another Great adventure!! You guys have had some great trips this year! and your only halfway into the year. The bass jumping in the boat was great! It would have been cool if Hetairoi had been taken your picture at the same time. It looks like you wore sun screen and Hetairoi got a sun burn! I glad you guys made it home safe and had a Great trip! Thomas

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    AS,
    What kind of boat is yours? what are the advantages/disadvantages Vs the other Carolina boat?
    The kayak I used on this trip is a Native Watercraft Manta Ray 12. Hetairoi was in a Perception Carolina 14.5

The Manta Ray is a sit-on-top kayak, vs the sit-inside Carolina. It is a little wider, and a little slower than the Carolina. But, it feels roomier and would hold more gear. For daily mileages at and above what we paddled, a touring yak like the Carolina is a better choice because it is sleeker, but for versatility in smaller waters and for comfort the Manta Ray is a great choice for recreational touring.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast