my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    nice photos,,, looks like a great trip...

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    ...a Native Watercraft Manta Ray 12. Hetairoi was in a Perception Carolina 14.5

The Manta Ray is a sit-on-top kayak, vs the sit-inside Carolina. It is a little wider, and a little slower than the Carolina. But, it feels roomier and would hold more gear. For daily mileages at and above what we paddled, a touring yak like the Carolina is a better choice because it is sleeker, but for versatility in smaller waters and for comfort the Manta Ray is a great choice for recreational touring.
    you mentioned smaller water...what about open water, say the Apostle Islands in Lake Superior? Could it handle that or is a closed sit-inside boat better?
    I have some kayaking friends who think that anything not made of kevlar, cost less than $3000 and shorter than 15' is a POS. I have borrowed boats like that and they are great but I'd like to get involved at a lower price point and be able to run the rivers locally without worrying ifI shore against a sandbar!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Sweet trip. If you guys ever want to come to Georgia and do a river trip let me know. I am a guide here and know some great trips.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    you mentioned smaller water...what about open water, say the Apostle Islands in Lake Superior? Could it handle that or is a closed sit-inside boat better?
    I suppose it would handle the water fine, as it is actually a popular boat for ocean-going kayak fishermen. But, it is a 12' boat, so I would either add a rudder or opt for the 14' model so that it would track better in open water for what you're talking about.

Don't let the kayak-elitists bother you. It's more important to just get out there and enjoy yourself than to have a bunch of fancy stuff.

edited to add - That being said - I don't have any experience on Lake Superior.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 06-02-2009 at 14:34. Reason: added last part
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Super Traveler
    Tarp
    Spinn OES-2QZQ-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator by SC
    Suspension
    Dutch wear
    Images
    There's two native boats for sale like the one Southmark has. Near Memphis on the Nashville craigslist, $ 800.00 each. I wish I had one! Hey sparrow go buy one and you can have two. One for you and one for me to use!!

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    My kayak is a Native Watercraft Manta Ray 12. Hetairoi was in a Perception Carolina 14.5

The Manta Ray is a sit-on-top kayak, vs the sit-inside Carolina. It is a little wider, and a little slower than the Carolina. But, it feels roomier and would hold more gear. For daily mileages at and above what we paddled, a touring yak like the Carolina is a better choice because it is sleeker, but for versatility in smaller waters and for comfort the Manta Ray is a great choice for recreational touring.
    Also, if you intend to fish much, a SOT like that Manta Ray is about 10 times better than any sit-inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    Sweet trip. If you guys ever want to come to Georgia and do a river trip let me know. I am a guide here and know some great trips.
    Yes, this man knows where to go, and what to do when he gets there.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

great pics great report,yakin and hanging are here to stay.neo
    the matrix has you

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I don't have anything to add to the report other than to say it was a very relaxing trip, a little hot and some moving water would have been nice, but quiet and super relaxing.

Hetairoi got a sun burn!
    I already had most of it from last week at the beach, but forgot to wear my hat on Sunday and paid for it

As far as the boats go, this was my first trip of any distance in the carolina and I'm happy with it. I got a great deal because a local outfitter was moving, but for open water and long flat rivers it seems to do well. It was hot and my legs were sweating, but I didn't have to worry about getting burned (on my legs). It's a little tight getting in, but it's possible to sit with knees pulled up or legs hanging out, but you definitely want to try it out first (at least sit in it). The seat was more comfortable than I thought it would be.

I learned that your paddle makes a HUGE difference. I opted for cheap paddles, fine for short trip, not so much after mile 20.

I was lucky that AS brought an extra paddle he wanted to try out, it probably weighed less than half what my cheap one did. I would have been very sore had I used the cheap heavy paddle the entire trip. With the touring kayak and a nice paddle I did not get tired and wasn't sore after ~70 miles.

I really like the Manta Ray because it seems to be very versatile and will hold a ton of gear. There are many rivers around here that I would not be able to take the Carolina down, but the Manta Ray would be fine for just about any of them. Speed and mileage, Carolina wins hands down. Comfort and versatility Manta Ray wins hands down. Oh, and the Manta Ray just seems to have everything already built in and thought out well, the Carolina needs some additions (I guess Perception just hasn't been building boats long enough ).

Ok, enough rambling, here are a few pics I got. I also took a few short videos that I'll post as soon as I figure out what to do with them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    my friends like L O N G boats...touring and fast, no flowing water. I think I'd like the opposite...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast