Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Z-Rest and Yeti
    Suspension
    web 'n beener
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBadgerBrigade View Post
    it can be a totally flat lay, you just need to retie the ties on the spreader to suit you.... i sting mine very very tight, tie-out to the ground and im on a 90inch floating cot!
    This is actually really interesting -- so, tie the cords tighter in the center of the spreader bar, to reduce the sag? If this works, it could breathe new life in the LBRH... but the instability issues remain. Tying out and staking each corner is something I am loathe to do at the end of a hard day on the trail, especially when darkness looms.

Hammock
    Dutch 11-foot
    Tarp
    HammockGear Cuben
    Insulation
    HammockGear quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Story about the guy whose company makes these: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/bus...e37531521.html

Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    with Doors
    Thank you for the great post. Did you ever weight the hammock without two spread bars? if so, do you remember how much lbs? Thank you in advance!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Z-Rest and Yeti
    Suspension
    web 'n beener
    No I never did, but I estimate the two bars add up to around a pound together, maybe a little more. So I guess without the bars, it's around 3ish lbs, maybe a bit more? Unfortunately there's no way for me to confirm that, since I sold my LBRH last year.

Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    with Doors
    Thank you very much for the answer! It was my first hammock and I love it but the weight and large pack size is now getting to me. I might also have to sell it...

Quote Originally Posted by rjc149 View Post
    No I never did, but I estimate the two bars add up to around a pound together, maybe a little more. So I guess without the bars, it's around 3ish lbs, maybe a bit more? Unfortunately there's no way for me to confirm that, since I sold my LBRH last year.

I have to say that once I tried a Lawson, it was no going back to my regular hammock. I don't find it tippy like other's say, but I make sure I get a good enough sag when tying the gathers. There are people like myself that love this hammock because of the way you can move around in it and get super comfy. I have to sleep on my side and turn numerous times at night. So I was always waking up to turn over in other hammocks. But with this one I don't do that and can wake up and find I've slept the night thru and turned over without waking up. The Lawson requires you hang it properly to get the right sag so it doesn't tip much. The learning curve is well worth it for me since I can get such a great night's sleep, or day sleep!
    JUSTBEHERE
    JUSTBEHERE
    JUSTBEHERE

Sorry to bring this one back up, but did you ever try tightening them up? is it the center cords that need tightening?
    Quote Originally Posted by rjc149 View Post
    This is actually really interesting -- so, tie the cords tighter in the center of the spreader bar, to reduce the sag? If this works, it could breathe new life in the LBRH... but the instability issues remain. Tying out and staking each corner is something I am loathe to do at the end of a hard day on the trail, especially when darkness looms.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Z-Rest and Yeti
    Suspension
    web 'n beener
    Hey no worries lol. I haven't checked this thread in some time.

I ended up selling my LBRH after I got a WBBB and a Superfly, which in my opinion, is one of the ultimate backpacking hammock setups. There are many reasons, but as is pertinent to this thread, there just isn't any fussing or configuring involved. You hang it, tension the straps for a proper hang, and that's it.

The LBRH is really a backyard hammock design, so I believe adjusting the spreader cords will only do so much to achieve a flatter lay. In other words, I don't think it's the lack of tension on the center cords that causes the sag, but rather the overall design itself. I feel that if you tightened them, it would simply place undue strain on the area where the spreader cords are attached to the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12