Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Finn, I'd love to take you up on that offer at some point. However, the coming months are a little crazy for me. I've got 3 meetups (hangs) on the books this month, CT thru next month (which I still have to get ready for), and August will be a return to work after 3 weeks off; that should just be loads of fun.

I might be bugging you about trying it out in the fall if you're still open to it then.
    As I said, it is a spare so it is always there whenever you want it. I bought it off a member to test some mods that I wanted to make to the Clark Tarp, and just ended up making a Clark Tarp clone. The design of the tarp as an extra weather barrier and being able to close/velcro/batten down the hatches so the tarp isn't a sail, stores more heat/becomes more like a Garlington Taco - well, I just like the extra features that even the tarp possesses. There isn't a more feature rich hammock out there.

As I've told Brandon before, if he had a zip-off weathershield option on the BB, it would make the BB the undisputed champ in comfort. I still plan on adding that to my winter BB myself (I will post the results when done) - but like you, Cannibal, find myself extremely busy at the moment.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    As I said, it is a spare so it is always there whenever you want it. I bought it off a member to test some mods that I wanted to make to the Clark Tarp, and just ended up making a Clark Tarp clone. The design of the tarp as an extra weather barrier and being able to close/velcro/batten down the hatches so the tarp isn't a sail, stores more heat/becomes more like a Garlington Taco - well, I just like the extra features that even the tarp possesses. There isn't a more feature rich hammock out there.

As I've told Brandon before, if he had a zip-off weathershield option on the BB, it would make the BB the undisputed champ in comfort. I still plan on adding that to my winter BB myself (I will post the results when done) - but like you, Cannibal, find myself extremely busy at the moment.
    I could not agree with you more about the weather shield on the BB in fact since I got that from you I have not slept one night in my Clark with the exception of the Vertex and I do like the fact that it could be zipped off but what you made works just as well you can use it if needed or you can leave it in the pack.

Brandon I think that you could count that as to hints to make those.....

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Good overview of the Clarks

I found a reasonably tight hang was my preference and side sleeping seemed automatic in the Clarks.
    Side sleeping was probably the only option with a tight hang. Kinda like a bridge with no spreader bars I have used a Clark UL for years and still have to be careful to get the correct sag in it. This is one hammock a structural ridgeline really helps. With a big asym hammock like a BB or HH if you don't get the hang perfect you can adjust by changing the angle you are laying to find a comfort point. When I get it right, the Clark is as comfortable as any hammock I have used, its just harder to get it right every time without the ridgeline.

The tarp is a love/hate thing but if I know it is going to storm give me the Clark setup in storm mode anytime when using with pad inside hammock, not quite enough coverage for UQ's in storm mod

I agree with Cavedivers comments other than the pockets not interfering with an UQ. The colder it gets the more the air gaps caused by items in the pockets would become a factor. Plus the best UQ for a Clark is a diff cut. Pulling the diff cut uq tight against the hammock would take away the feature of the pockets that pulls items in pocket away from hammock.

I "grew up" in a Clark UL. I keep going back but it is kind of like going back to where you grew up. Great for a visit and remembering the good times but after a night I am ready for my bridge hammock. But if someone said I could only keep one of my hammocks I would have a hard time giving up the Clark, but that is never going to happen!
    Last edited by hangnout; 06-26-2009 at 18:17.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200 & Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    RX-200
    Insulation
    Shenandoah Long
    "I can see me putting a headlamp in one of the pockets and finding it on accident a couple of years later. I found a $10 bill in my WB ElDorado two weeks ago; another souvenir from the AT I guess. Overall size is going to take-up some real estate in a pack, but probably fewer cubic inches than a hammock, tarp, and weathershield packed separately."

Don't know how to quote from a review?

Good Post. That above comment made me laugh. I use a bicycle light inside the hammock. I lost it one night and thought I had left it behind in the woods. So I pick up a cheap flashlight @ the drugstore and two nights later I find my bicycle light in one of the pockets. Maybe, I'll search the pockets today and see if I can find $10

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    I appreciate this review, been looking at these and the black bird..
    If the blackbird had the weather shield, I wouldn't hesitate..... Either way, I have much yet to learn, and will sit back and enjoy!! Thanks again...

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    Any chance of get as through a review of the NX-250 Camo? It is the hammock i am thinking about. With the Vertex tarp of course!

Great Post for review....

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The Time Capsule strikes again!
    Trust nobody!

@Cannibal.
    Hi I'm a new member your review is the reason I joined. This is my first post. My name is Jeremy. I have a question for you, were did you get a Clark North American to test? After reading your review I feel i will fit just fine considering Im alot smaller than you, I'm 5'8 150LBS. The reason I want the NA is because its Cheaper in price, lighter, There best seller, and I dont like the pole set up, to much going once you throw that in the mix.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to the forum OutdoorJunkie1992!

The Clarks that I was testing back then were lent to me by another forum member and friend. It would be a dream come true if there existed a place where one could test various hammocks before purchasing. Closest thing we have right now are Group Hangs, where folks are always happy to show off their rigs. A quick look in the Hangout sub finds that it looks like they're trying to get one going this spring in Ohio. Should be a Clark hanger there. If Jsaults shows, I'm pretty sure he uses a Clark on occasion.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast