Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Merino Wool Baselayer instead of Underquilt?

I live in NC and am new to hammocks. Since I an not sure how much I will use the hammock I am trying to decide the best way to get outside now without spending $300 - $500 on a nice underquilt/top quilt. Probably about 30 degrees would be as low as I would go here and out for no more than 2 or 3 days. My thought is if I am going to make an expensive purchase, let it have dual usage and not just for the hammock.

Therefore, would it be possible to get by at 30 degrees comfortably in a pair of mid-weight or expedition weight merino wool baselayer underwear? I could get top and bottoms from Minus33 for a total of around $100 (mid-weight - 21oz) - $160 (expedition weight - 32oz). I could then use these for other activities (outside of camping) as well. The idea sounds great cause you could wear them around camp and also stay warm during the middle of the night bathroom break. Of course I would have on wool socks, something for my head, maybe a heavy jacket, tarp close to block wind, etc. My thought is if ice fishermen can sit still for hours and stay warm at zero degrees, then surely I could at around 30 degrees in a hammock with the right clothing. While an underquilt is probably lighter I am ok sacrificing the weight until I determine my long term hammock usage.

So the question is, will thick merino wool base layers be sufficient down to about 30 degrees without the need for an underquilt/top quilt or any other pad for that matter. Or am I just crazy

Thanks for your help.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    ummm....no.....any insulation you have on is going to get compressed when you are laying on it and lose alot of it's insulating value, even in temps quite a bit warmer than that you are going to need something under you, and that's pretty cold to go without something on top too

if you are looking for an economical way to keep warm you can always use a pad underneath you inside the hammock, you can pick up a blue foam pad from one of the big box stores for $10 or less

boot
    Last edited by Boothill; 02-15-2014 at 14:51.
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I love my Smartwool baselayer and would love to help you justify that purchase however, it would probably not keep you warm enough without at least a pad under you.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    So the short answer is no. Even with heavy weight thermals...the type here does not significantly matter...you will still feel convective air flow. Most of us feel the chill at anything below 70F. Your heavy weight thermals may take you a little cooler than that...60 maybe but I would not think you would stay comfortable warm much below that without something for under insulation.

When I first started out I had hoped to be ok in moderate temps with minimal under insulation my self. I started off with a 1/8th" foam pad. I did OK for a while but it did not take long for that thin of a pad to not hold out the chill at 8000' in July. By morning I was mildly hypothermic and was shivering almost out of control. Luckily we had decided to car camp that first night and I watched the sun rise with the heater running full blast. Was not a fun way to find out I was under prepared for my first hang.

No a good thermarest, or even a good piece of closed cell foam will get you into the 30's to try hammocks out without a underquilt. Lots of folks here start off with the cheap blue CCF from Walmart camping section. It's cheap and bulky but will keep you warm to around freezing. Higher quality CCF will work better and you can go to a bit thinner foam aka less bulk if you can get ahold of some good stuff. 1/4" should do if you find a good quality. The one thing to remember is that foam will detract from the comfort of the hammock....which is why under quilts are better.

Welcome to the forums and hanging.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Doublenest/RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    Web+Whoopie Sling
    I can tell you for certain that it isn't enough. I live in a warm climate and can't invest in serious winter gear either. But this year we needed it even in TX.

So. My merino base layers allow me to use insulation that otherwise wouldn't be enough (sometimes a summer UQ, sometimes a pad). But it would never be enough by itself. Once this winter I even had to go to bed in full layers (including down pants and jacket), but still needed the little something my light 3/4 length UQ provided underneath. Plus, I sometimes lay a down vest or puffer jacket (<$20 online on sale) spread out on top of the UQ to also give a little boost..

So, use the base and mid layers to allow yourself to get by with less than sufficient insulation on those unexpectedly cold nights, but I wouldn't use them exclusively.
    Last edited by wesbri; 02-15-2014 at 13:35. Reason: addition

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by slinc View Post
    I live in NC and am new to hammocks. Since I an not sure how much I will use the hammock I am trying to decide the best way to get outside now without spending $300 - $500 on a nice underquilt/top quilt. Probably about 30 degrees would be as low as I would go here and out for no more than 2 or 3 days. My thought is if I am going to make an expensive purchase, let it have dual usage and not just for the hammock.

Therefore, would it be possible to get by at 30 degrees comfortably in a pair of mid-weight or expedition weight merino wool baselayer underwear? I could get top and bottoms from Minus33 for a total of around $100 (mid-weight - 21oz) - $160 (expedition weight - 32oz). I could then use these for other activities (outside of camping) as well. The idea sounds great cause you could wear them around camp and also stay warm during the middle of the night bathroom break. Of course I would have on wool socks, something for my head, maybe a heavy jacket, tarp close to block wind, etc. My thought is if ice fishermen can sit still for hours and stay warm at zero degrees, then surely I could at around 30 degrees in a hammock with the right clothing. While an underquilt is probably lighter I am ok sacrificing the weight until I determine my long term hammock usage.

So the question is, will thick merino wool base layers be sufficient down to about 30 degrees without the need for an underquilt/top quilt or any other pad for that matter. Or am I just crazy

Thanks for your help.
    Dude, you live in Asheville! What do you know about ice fishing?

As all others have said, the merino wool clothing is great. It is not adequate to keep you warm in a hammock by itself. I get by without a TQ, but spent the money on a quality UQ.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    As Paul said, "convective airflow" is your enemy. Its hte reason why bridges ice over before the roads do. Air passing below it make is colder faster. You'd essentially be warm everywhere except where your body touches the hammock.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slinc View Post

Thanks for your help.

Yes, you are crazy. If you are out that cold you already will want a warm base layer as soon as you stop moving much. You should see the insulation outside ice fishermen wear and then they sit on a pad or two or three. Go spend $20 at Walmart and get a decent CCF pad or two so you can cross part of one to get shoulder coverage and added torso insulation plus a sit/foot pad. Use your sleeping bag as a top quilt. You will manage and probably not freeze that way.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    One can remain warm in a hammock with clothing alone...but it will take quite a bit of clothing. It also wouldn't provide much comfort.

Ice fishermen wear everything but the kitchen sink, and even with that they are only out for a few hours. Stretch that few hours into overnight then factor in a lower sleeping metabolism and you'll need a LOT of clothing at 30. Something like a Carhartt insulated coveralls and sleeping in your boots might work. Personally, I have use for a top quilt and an underquilt far more often than I do insulated coveralls.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Try the long johns for one night and the next day you will looking for a ccf pad or at Paul's store at Arrowhead for a UQ and TQ.

The longjohns will help but will not cut it by themselves. Also you will need to test your setup before you head out into the woods so you know if it works as expected.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast