WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps

Looking for some advice on underquilts

Ok folks, hoping for some assistance in picking an underquilt. First, to give a little background info...I'm a fairly big guy, right at 6'0 350 (though that's coming down), and I'm built kinda weird (longish torso, shorter legs). My shoulders are 46" straight across (I have no clue what they are circumference-wise), my waist is 48". Obviously, finding stuff that fits me (and can hold me up) can be a challenge. I have an ENO Singlenest hammock, ENO's Atlas straps (thankfully I "listened" to the reviews of the slapstraps on Amazon), and the ENO Pro tarp. For a makeshift topquilt, I use an old sleeping bag (either my flannel 40* or my Coleman 0* mummy) unzipped. I've never messed with insulation beneath me before; the lowest I've taken my hammock-hanging was into the mid-50s. I didn't get cold or even chilly, just fairly cool, but it was enough that I didn't get the same kind of sleep I normally get while in a hammock (more of a light dozing sleep, instead of the deep hibernation style). I guess this makes me a "warm" sleeper?

Anyways, I've been reading up on different ways to add insulation to cover my backside, as well as trying them out. Pads didn't work...too uncomfortable, too sweaty, and the pad was sticking to my back the whole time. I have a fleece sleeping bag liner that I could put in the hammock which might get me down to 50* comfortably...but I'm looking for something that will cover all of the weather that VA can throw at me, which means getting down into the single digits occasionally, maybe even negatives (with wind chill factored in). From what I can tell, this pretty much leaves me with underquilts.

I've been doing a lot of research on these, and there are a few things that have me confused, but I've come up with a list of the quilts I'm considering (ENO's offerings didn't make the cut, mostly cause I can't find any reliable reviews on them, and the general consensus seems to be that they don't offer much bang for the buck). What I'm hoping is that folks who own or have used them can comment on which ones they prefer, and more importantly, point out small things that may or may not be in the product description, like "product X's suspension doesn't work well with gathered end hammocks" or "product Y is a bit harder to adjust while in the hammock." I'm trying to make this a buy once kind of deal, since this is a lot of money (honestly, if it weren't tax refund season, I wouldn't be thinking about doing this).

Before I jump into the list of underquilts, could someone please enlighten me on the concept of "hydrophobic down?" I can't remember which site I saw referring to this (maybe JacksRBetter?), but it confused me...hydrophobia means fear of water, and down really doesn't go well with water to begin with, so how does making it more "afraid" of water improve it...is this just a bit of marketing that I'm reading waaaaay too far into?

Anyways, here's the list I've narrowed everything down to...I'm leaning towards Arrowhead, as they're pretty darn cheap (comparatively) and that 48" width sounds like a good idea to prevent my shoulders from getting cold (assuming I understand how underquilts should fit)...however, will I notice a difference in a synthetic fill over a down fill?

From what I've seen on here, it seems that all of these companies are rock solid in both product quality and customer service, so no easy way to weed a choice out...so many choices, so small a budget...Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    You totally missed underquiltss.com I am a very large guy and when I ordered my first quilt from them the first thing they did was ask if I needed a couple of inches more in width or length at no extra charge to me and my quilt turned out great, the quality is top notch,, you are robbing your self of the chance of getting a great quilt at a great price if you don't atleast check them out,, use the link below, by the way in the first link is the custom made tarp they made me

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    You totally missed underquilts.com I am a very large guy and when I ordered my first quilt from them the first thing they did was ask if I needed a couple of inches more in width or length at no extra charge to me and my quilt turned out great, the quality is top notch,, you are robbing your self of the chance of getting a great quilt at a great price if you don't atleast check them out,, use the link below, by the way in the first link is the custom made tarp they made me
    Uh...underquilts.com is in that spreadsheet, second from the bottom, just above wilderness logics...though it is good to hear that they're willing to add in a few extra inches to more custom-fit the quilt to the customer.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Underground quilts and HG both offer hydrophobic down I believe.. UGQ does for sure. Anyway the benefit is that if you somehow managed to drop you quilt in the drink, instead of just wetting out and being useless the down would repel water for a reasonable amount of time and you'd have a chance to dry it out and sleep warm that night. Cheap insurance I guess. I'm a big fan of Underground Quilts so that's where my vote goes.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Looking for some advice on underquilts

Those 46" shoulders of yours need a custom quilt!
    What I would do is call Underground Quilt and Hammock Gear and any others that sparked your interest. Discuss your measurements with them and pick whomever gave you the warmest, fuzziest feeling. After all, that's what we want from our quilts.
    Last edited by MAD777; 02-12-2014 at 12:46.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Those 46" shoulders of your need a custom quilt!
    What I would do is call Underground Quilt and Hammock Gear and any others that sparked your interest. Discuss your measurements with them and pick whomever gave you the warmest, fuzziest feeling. After all, that's what we want from our quilts.
    +1 I would certainly call them and see what they can do
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

• + New Posts