Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Neoair Xtherm Vs. Xlite

any body try either or both of these in a hammock?
    what low temps were you comfortable at?

On the ground, the xtherm is clearly warmer(I've tried both on ground)......I guess in the hammock it is going to be warmer also, but I suspect the differences in warmth between the xtherm and xlite will be less noticeable in a hammock vs the ground especially when partially deflated for hammock use. Thoughts?

I am leaning towards the xtherm if it significantly warmer(for hammock use)...but the 4oz weight penalty and extra $ over the Xlite doesn't seem worth it if the xtherm isn't much warmer when used in a hammock.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I would guess it is significantly warmer in the hammock too based on how it reduces heat loss due to radiation compared to the xlite.

Hammock
    Health
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    GB
    Suspension
    Whoopie, straps
    Images
    Nice to have an option to go to ground if necessary. I tired my neo air in the hammock, and couldn't quite get comfortable, by the time I let out enough air to let it conform to the hammock, I felt like it was really compressed in the butt region and I was going to end up with a cold butt (I haven't tried it through the night). I bought it while I was tying to cut weight from my pack before I found hammocks. So.....I have a neo air I don't use if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    I would guess it is significantly warmer in the hammock too based on how it reduces heat loss due to radiation compared to the xlite.

My hope and guess is that it(xtherm) will be significantly warmer than the Xlite, but, have some reservations due to the neoairs being designed to be on ground and achieving their R rating based on the mat being fully inflated.....the xlites are also insulated the same way as the xtherm but from what I read they use less/thinner aluminized coating-or something like that.

If the xlite can get me down to 45...and the xterm to 25...I'd spring for the xtherm. For whatever reason(design/application) I don't think it'll work like that in a hammock and just want to get some numbers from people who have taken the xtherm/xlite to their limits in a hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tlcseven View Post
    Nice to have an option to go to ground if necessary. I tired my neo air in the hammock, and couldn't quite get comfortable, by the time I let out enough air to let it conform to the hammock, I felt like it was really compressed in the butt region and I was going to end up with a cold butt (I haven't tried it through the night). I bought it while I was tying to cut weight from my pack before I found hammocks. So.....I have a neo air I don't use if anyone is interested.
    very nice option to have when no trees are around....I have numerous UQs but no real solution if I go somewhere with an unknown tree situation+I like the versatility.
    The neoair would be for a bridge hammock....I've tried pads in a GE and I can't get them to work either. Yeah, I know what you mean..the butt pushes the middle down, and the head and feet end up higher(IME)-talk about uncomfortable.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    I have used my xtherm in my ridgerunner down to 16F. My feet were a little chilly, but i can't say it wasn't my top quilt that is only rated at 20F.

My back was fine the entire night though.,

thanks barchetta.. I didn't expect the xtherm to perform that low but that is really good to know.

Was the xtherm fully inflated? -I guess it doesn't matter....if I was in 16d temps I'd take a hard fully inflated pad over being cold. It would be sweet to hear if the pad was like half deflated at 16degrees.

My Xlite starts feeling cool around the low 30's. That is fully inflated in a bridge hammock. I have been interested in the Xtherms, but have not tried one yet.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post
    thanks barchetta.. I didn't expect the xtherm to perform that low but that is really good to know.

Was the xtherm fully inflated? -I guess it doesn't matter....if I was in 16d temps I'd take a hard fully inflated pad over being cold. It would be sweet to hear if the pad was like half deflated at 16degrees.
    It was fully inflated. I tried letting a little air out and I started getting cold pretty quickly. It seems to perform best when inflated completely.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Also, it's hardly noticeable in the ridge runner. Stays in place really well too

I should mention that I had my spindrift sock installed as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast