Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    Great info guys, thanks a lot. I think I will pick one up as it sounds as though it may work in the hammock. Great idea to deflate for some added warmth with and UQ. Surely would be better than my current setup if I have to sleep on the ground.

Appreciate it.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    I have an Xtherm and pound for pound it is the best ground sleeper air mattress. As soon as you lay down you feel the heat it throws at you.

Problem I have is that I'm a hammock camper now and I find that the Xtherm raises me up too high in my Hennessy and I am almost touching the ridgeline.

I have to let out so much air that my butt hits the bottom. Also when semi or almost fully inflated I find that the comfort factor of the hammock is now removed and I can not get comfortable.

If I had a double layer like you WB guys this may not be a factor.

I love the idea of not inflating the Xtherm and using to extend my underquilt range. Awesome idea. Thats why I come to this site. Good job.

I just finished a sleeping bag/underquilt conversion that I hope to try out this weekend. if it gets too cold I will have to try my Xtherm in limp mode. Looking forward to it.

Cheers and thanks for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by barchetta View Post
    In a hammock? If so what kind?
    yes(in a hammock). Tested it in DL RidgeRunner.

I also tried it in a SL 11ft gathered end.....not anywhere near as comfortable as the RR but it's doable if I sleep in a fetal position(haven't tried a full night tho). If I am trying to lay flat/fully extended I do get the banana effect.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post
    yes(in a hammock). Tested it in DL RidgeRunner.

I also tried it in a SL 11ft gathered end.....not anywhere near as comfortable as the RR but it's doable if I sleep in a fetal position(haven't tried a full night tho). If I am trying to lay flat/fully extended I do get the banana effect.
    update:
    I had a(surprisingly) comfortable sleep last night with the Lg Xtherm in a 11ft gathered end sleeping fully extended. The pad was almost fully inflated(as much as the camptek/neoair pump can inflate it to)..... The head end seemed a little high/propped up but I ditched the pillow and it seemed ok.

Will continue to test...I wouldn't mind getting rid of my UQs if this works out.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post
    update:
    I had a(surprisingly) comfortable sleep last night with the Lg Xtherm in a 11ft gathered end sleeping fully extended. The pad was almost fully inflated(as much as the camptek/neoair pump can inflate it to)..... The head end seemed a little high/propped up but I ditched the pillow and it seemed ok.

Will continue to test...I wouldn't mind getting rid of my UQs if this works out.
    By fully extended do you mean no diagonal lay?

Quote Originally Posted by barchetta View Post
    By fully extended do you mean no diagonal lay?
    by fully extended I mean just laying on my back or side with legs straight(no fetal or curling/etc) and back "straight".

The Lg Xtherm was at what I would call an "extreme diagonal" (so, yes-I am laying dianonally) due to the mostly inflated pad "holding" the hammock wide open(holds shape,keeps hammock open) and being able to really get a diagonal lay...which resulted in a flat lay. It didn't feel like I was in a gathered end. Not quite as comforable as the Xtherm in a RR but close enough that I could make a compromise if I was worried about weight or wanted tighter tarp coverage over the bridge.

I am using a 11ft SL GE, sleeping directly on the mostly inflated/firm-ish pad.
    I know many like the DL when using pads, but, I prefer sleeping directly on the pad...feels easier to know where it is and move it around if needed.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    That is great to hear. Really liking the sound of this xtherm more and more. Ha Ha! Just checked REI online and all the locations here have them! Think I may go have an in-person peak this weekend.

Thanks for the update cliffhanger!

Quote Originally Posted by bartlax4 View Post
    That is great to hear. Really liking the sound of this xtherm more and more. Ha Ha! Just checked REI online and all the locations here have them! Think I may go have an in-person peak this weekend.

Thanks for the update cliffhanger!

Hopefully you like it...
    If you haven't tried an UQ, you might still be curious but so far I like the pad for GE and bridge use....especially in unfamiliar areas.
    I intended to use the Xtherm in the DL RR sleeve but after using it in the GE I think I found a solution to the "calf ridge" and twist feeling(at the hips for me) of a GE.

As stated before, with the pad in the GE....it does not feel like I am sleeping in a GE hammock. (meaning this could be a good thing or bad thing for you). YMMV

update:

Large Xlite(not xtherm) was warm at 45f+...woke up cold to light winds(gusting at times) and 39-41f temps.

I could feel the stronger gusts of wind robbing heat instantly. Xlite was mostly inflated.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0 w/NS50 1st gen
    Tarp
    DIY MEMBRANE 0.9oz
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 30*
    Suspension
    whoopie/Dutchbling
    Resurrecting this thread because I am thinking about getting an Xtherm and looking for more folks' experiences, specifically in a gathered end hammock. Which size pad are you using, do you think the Lg (25" width) is necessary for shoulder coverage? Used in a SL, do you think a knotty mod would help keep it in place? Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast