Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    Quote Originally Posted by barchetta View Post
    I have used my xtherm in my ridgerunner down to 16F. My feet were a little chilly, but i can't say it wasn't my top quilt that is only rated at 20F.

My back was fine the entire night though.,
    Reviving this for a quick question. I too am interested in the xtherm. Quick question though. I read a review somewhere saying folks using top quilts might not like it if you sleep directly on the pad because the top material is weird. Maybe even sticky? I think that was along the lines of what it said. In any case, I was just wondering what you thought of the material and if sleeping directly on it has been at all an issue?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by bartlax4 View Post
    Reviving this for a quick question. I too am interested in the xtherm. Quick question though. I read a review somewhere saying folks using top quilts might not like it if you sleep directly on the pad because the top material is weird. Maybe even sticky? I think that was along the lines of what it said. In any case, I was just wondering what you thought of the material and if sleeping directly on it has been at all an issue?
    Wish I could help more, but my ridge runner is a double layer so I don't sleep directly on top of it. I wouldn't call the material sticky by any means though. I could see it getting sticky over night due to sweat and moisture just like any other plastic material would. Just like a leather couch in summer.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    Ahhhh, ok. My hammock's a double as well, so there wouldn't be much of an issue as it would if I was in the tent. Leather couch in summer sounds terrible, though I don't ever plan to be laying on it in my birthday suit. Thanks for the info! Had just wondered if there was anything REALLY weird with the material.

The neoairs might seem a little "sticky" when brand new(way less than an inflatable pool toy). It wears off and not really a big deal.

BTW- picked up a Large Xtherm.... got down to 40 comfortably with the pad partially deflated.

I have had the Xtherm on ice on the ground only inflated 1/3 and be just fine because they achieve their high R rating from the reflective material. On another note, I have used them with the wrong side up in barely below freezing temps and have gotten really cold --> the reflection works on one side only.

I have used it UNINFLATED IN ADDITION to an underquilt to extend low temp ratings and it makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE and is super comfortable - like it wasn't even there (like sleeping in a regular UQ hammock) aside from the additional heat. It almost feels like an active heat source under you and not just "insulation".

I will always bring an Xtherm pad with me from now on even if planning to go in a hammock because it is a great, 1 lb safety margin for temp latitude and the possibility of ground sleeping.

I will be trying to use it alone with just a couple of puffs of air one of these days...
    Last edited by alukban; 03-11-2014 at 09:08.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by alukban View Post
    I have had the Xtherm on ice on the ground only inflated 1/3 and be just fine because they achieve their high R rating from the reflective material. On another note, I have used them with the wrong side up in barely below freezing temps and have gotten really cold --> the reflection works on one side only.

I have used it UNINFLATED IN ADDITION to an underquilt to extend low temp ratings and it makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE and is super comfortable - like it wasn't even (like sleeping in a regular UQ hammock) there aside form the additional heat. It almost feels like an active heat source under you and not just "insulation".

I will always bring an Xtherm pad with me from now on even if planning to go in a hammock because it is a great, 1 lb safety margin for temp latitude and the possibility of ground sleeping.

I will be trying to use it alone with just a couple of puffs of air one of these days...
    That's a really good idea for "extending your underquilt" and i wouldn't have thought about that. Thanks

I haven't had any luck using it in a gathered end hammock alone though. I can't seem to get a flat lay out of it. I've tried it in my warbonnet xlc, my claytor jungle, and my simply light streamline and none of them seem to work. I always end up feeling like a banana laying in a bowl.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post
    BTW- picked up a Large Xtherm.... got down to 40 comfortably with the pad partially deflated.
    In a hammock? If so what kind?

Yeppers on the "banana in the bowl" thing That's why I just deflated the thing.

I'm thinking an uninflated Xtherm alone may be a good enough alternative to an UQ in 40+ degree weather. It would be interesting if a hammock could be built with reflective material already built in to the weave of the bottom material of a hammock, not as a replacement for the usual bottom insulation but in addition to.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by alukban View Post
    Yeppers on the "banana in the bowl" thing That's why I just deflated the thing.

I'm thinking an uninflated Xtherm alone may be a good enough alternative to an UQ in 40+ degree weather. It would be interesting if a hammock could be built with reflective material already built in to the weave of the bottom material of a hammock, not as a replacement for the usual bottom insulation but in addition to.
    I'll have to give it a shot fully deflated. If I find anything out I'll be sure to post.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast