Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Is a fronkey style bug net effective?

Hello I have decided to build myself a hammock and bug net. At first I was going to build to build a gathered end hammock ( the design from cryptic cricket) and a fronkey style bug net. But I live in florida and a lot of my hangs would be next to swamps. I have heard of people getting bit through single layer hammocks and since there is a space between the shock cord I was wondering if I would be vulnerable. If there is a way to make a fronkey's ends overlap or a video/thread you could point me too for a simple double layer please do. Also I was thinking it may depend on cloth thickness so if you could site some very tight woven ( ripstop or other wise please let me know.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I would treat the bug net with Permethrin.

Edit: I misread your post, you're concerned about the opening under the net. This is another option, although I like Fronkey's better. I used this type of net for a while, until I could afford a zippered net. It's harder to get in and out of, but eliminates the small opening at the bottom.
    Last edited by awilder; 02-10-2014 at 18:05.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    treat all your gear (hammock and bug net) with Permethrin

DIY Hammock and Fronkey Bugnet
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It's the greatest bug net in the history of time!!!

Seriously though, you pull the cord lock and it does seal pretty tight on the bottom and the under quilt adds extra protection as well. Also, you can add velcro, omni tape or make another cinch cord on the gathered ends for extra seal, however mine always stayed pretty plugged up by the gathered end knots pushing on the hole. I've personally never had any issues with it and this is coming from a dude who spent the first 25 years of his life in South Florida.

Others have modified it and had some great success with their mods such as "Fire in my Bones."

There are some other cool designs to check out too like the TED bug net and the HUG bug net.

Have fun making your gear and I'm sure you're going to do an awesome job.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by floridaman View Post
    Hello I have decided to build myself a hammock and bug net. At first I was going to build to build a gathered end hammock ( the design from cryptic cricket) and a fronkey style bug net. But I live in florida and a lot of my hangs would be next to swamps. I have heard of people getting bit through single layer hammocks and since there is a space between the shock cord I was wondering if I would be vulnerable. If there is a way to make a fronkey's ends overlap or a video/thread you could point me too for a simple double layer please do. Also I was thinking it may depend on cloth thickness so if you could site some very tight woven ( ripstop or other wise please let me know.
    Those people getting bit through single layer hammocks are using integrated bugnets in all probability. With the Fronkey-style bugnet, or its close relative, the BIAS Buginator, I treat the bugnet with permethrin, but never the hammock. I don't even cinch up the bottom entry because mosquitoes simply aren't smart enough to fly down and then up through the bugnet opening to get at my tasty blood.

I didn't believe it till I tried it. I heard so many folks say that the Hennessy Hammock's classic bottom-entry hammock was better at keeping bugs out than a side zip, but I just couldn't believe it.

I believe it now - the mosquito is the State Bird of New Jersey and the mosquitoes never get in through the bottom entry of my Buginator. They are chemically attracted and attack straight at you.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    No problems with mine. Bug free in SC. I used a little shock cord on the ends and just tied a knot in it. They grab around the gathered ends nicely.
    Bill

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Floridaman, welcome to the fun in hanging glory.

Sorry, SS, the mossies here aren't smart enough to know what you know and just keep flying and pushing inch-by-inch until they go up or down or around and into a bugnet.

I changed my bugnet from weight pockets on the bottom of net(hanging) to Fronkey/CC style(cinched with shockcord) and only have problems if they come in with me as I get in.

Floridaman, I have a single layer(SL) DIY hammy and haven't had a problem using this bugnet IF I can keep them out as I enter. The shockcord on the bottom is tight enough to seal nicely against my UQ making it(the UQ) the only xtra layer I need.

Last year at the "No UQ Hang" in July, I still had no problems from the little part of exposed SL hammock body. It's on bottom and there is no skin touching the hammock there.

I hope this helps.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Does anyone know of any commercial versions of the Fronkey?

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Mine is the Easiest Bug Net Ever: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=76129

I'm working on an UL version that uses half the material but have been sidetracked by a ammo can stove project.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    Does anyone know of any commercial versions of the Fronkey?
    The BIAS Buginator and Nano-Buginator are similar.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast