Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    What concentration of permethrin do you use, SS? I have seen bugs dance a jig on clothing I have treated at 0.5%.
    I use 0.5%, or thereabouts (not like I exactly measure or anything). Permethrin is powerful stuff and you don't need much to kill bugs. Bump up the percentage if you want to see the bugs die faster.

By the way, bugs don't notice permethrin, a neurotoxin, until it's too late. I'll bet if you keep watching those dancing bugs they don't dance for long!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by -Sawg View Post
    My buddy has a single layer hammock and the bugs definitely bite through the bottom
    Luckily (interesting concept of luck ), I live in a country where sleeping without an underquilt isn't really gonna happen! LOL

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Quote Originally Posted by wa4chq View Post
    I made one to specs according to a link found on HF's. I included the shock cord for cinching off. I found it is not needed. What it did need IMO was an opening on one end so I could slide the bug net out of the way when I'm setting up. I hate putting my UQ and TQ in place and loading up my RL organizer with all my junk while trying to scoot under the BN. I keep it shut with velcro. I also treat the tarp with permetherin.
    That should have been bug net but I also treat the tarp.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    While we are on the subject (kind of) I am wondering about how well the bottom-entry nets work when it comes to lounging, getting dressed or eating in the hammock. How do you get it out of the way? With an integrated net, like a Blackbird, I just unzip and flip back. (bugs are generally not to active in the morning). This allows a good sitting space, shoe-tying space, coffee drinking seat, etc... Any suggestions on how a bottom-entry, Fronkey style net works for that?
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    I put a slit on the head end of mine and attached velcro for sealing closed. Wanna lounge, pull apart the velcro and slide it out of the way.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG / EE
    I wanted to like the fronkey net but it kind of didn't work for me. I was basecamping backpacking so I set it up, went for a hike and when I came back to the site hours later, I had a few mosquitos on the inside of the bug net. The cord lock was cinched tight enough while I was away that it sealed up against the underquilt so I'm not sure how they got in. The ends near the suspension were pretty tight. It looked like it would work but it didn't.

I say "kind of didn't work" because those mosquitos that I found when I got in didn't bite all night, at least not that I could tell in the morning. They got in and just wanted to get out, hanging on the inside of the net.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    So, i must say, this project scared me at first. lol. i ordered 2 kits from rsbr for the zippered kit. it was gonna be too much for me after just making 2 hammocks. so, i found your video for the bottom entry net and i decided to give it a try. Why was I stressing?? It was so freaking easy! i think the amount of fabric is what scared me. Thank you for your video! I will be bug free on my first camping trip this summer for a total cost of like 30 Bucks!!

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I'd love t try a Fronky style, but here on the water spiders and assassin bugs are insane. Some mornings I find dozens of webs outside my bug net and once woke to an assassin bug on the netting inches from my head. I couldn't sleep if I knew there was any way at all for the little evil hell creatures to get in. Plus after the earwig incident, I don't wanna push my luck lol. Its integrated bug nets for me unless everything is frozen solid outside lol.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345