Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner; Chameleon
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I made a Fronkey net for my ENO DoubleNest (a single layer hammock) which worked GREAT. I found that I didn't need to cinch up the bottom, but just let gravity hold in around the hammock. I did treat the hammock & net with Permethrin and never had any problem with Louisiana mosquitos.

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    All I use now is the Fronkey bug net.
    Inexpensive, easy to make light weight, cooler than most nets out there and it works!!!!!
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Mine works great and I let mine hang also never have been bitten.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Here's a tutorial for a double-layer hammock:
    https://diygearsupply.com/wp-content...ock-lowres.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Sorry, SS, the mossies here aren't smart enough to know what you know and just keep flying and pushing inch-by-inch until they go up or down or around and into a bugnet.
    Sounds like you haven't tried what I'm suggesting. While Florida is probably the buggiest state in the nation, New Jersey is no slouch. We have 63 species of mosquitoes in New Jersey, including some you'll never see like snowpool mosquitoes. We've also got the Asian tiger mosquito and gallinipper.

I've left the bugnet uncinched and have yet to get a mosquito inside. They just don't approach their prey that way. They follow chemical leads and use some optical recognition, but they just can't seem to figure out bottom entry bugnets.

I also wonder if you're spraying your bugnet with permethrin, which creates an absolute no-fly zone. My daughter was having a birthday in the backyard during a particularly buggy summer here. I got the bright idea of spraying the entire back yard with permethrin - shrubs, grass, walls and fences. Not only was my back yard mosquito-free for a few weeks, it also killed or kept away every pollinating insect known to man. Needless to say, my vegetable garden did not do well at all.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I've had the mosquitos get stuck between bottom of hammock and draped net and enter from underneath coming up into the enclosure on the old style net, but, your right. I didn't have permethrin on it.

On the new bugnet, I also don't have permethrin on it, but the tightness of the net against the hammock due to the shape created by cinching the bottom keeps them from getting stuck and entering in. At least, that's how it seems to me.

Either way, I'm glad I found a solution that works for me. Now, I need to start bringing ear plugs. They can keep me awake at night patrolling the perimeter. I think they carry mini megaphones here.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    I've had the mosquitos get stuck between bottom of hammock and draped net and enter from underneath coming up into the enclosure on the old style net, but, your right. I didn't have permethrin on it.

On the new bugnet, I also don't have permethrin on it, but the tightness of the net against the hammock due to the shape created by cinching the bottom keeps them from getting stuck and entering in. At least, that's how it seems to me.

Either way, I'm glad I found a solution that works for me. Now, I need to start bringing ear plugs. They can keep me awake at night patrolling the perimeter. I think they carry mini megaphones here.
    You're probably right that they're smart enough to enter an untreated bugnet from the bottom entry, but the permethrin seems to stop them in their tracks enough to say, "I'm not so hungry as to die an agonizing death from a neurotoxin that will kill me on contact."
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    To answer the OP: yes, a Fronkey-style is very effective. I'm probably going over to that particular style of net here in about a week and an half. I've seen 'em used by three or four folks down here in FL, and I've yet to hear any complaints about 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    You're probably right that they're smart enough to enter an untreated bugnet from the bottom entry, but the permethrin seems to stop them in their tracks enough to say, "I'm not so hungry as to die an agonizing death from a neurotoxin that will kill me on contact."
    Permethrin definitely reduces the amount of 'em that bother me, but it isn't a cure-all, even on the hammock body and net. I still get the occasional mossie in the hammock with everything (including my clothing) treated, and they definitely like to buzz me all night regardless. However, there's definitely something satisfying about hearing that whine, followed by a sharp cutoff of that whine...

So, yep, I still definitely need a bug net from ~February to ~December here, even when everything's treated.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY Spear
    Tarp
    Tyvek 9'x11'
    Insulation
    Static V
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    they really do work well, i made two one noseeum, and another one out of tulle.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Fronkey's bugnets have pissed off alot of bugs. I would trust it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast