Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adkpiper View Post
    Days later, I'm still laughing about "another one leaves the dust".
    Yea, do it to the tune of Queen's "Another one bites the dust"

I am currently working on the lyrics to "Leaves the dust" We can all sing it at the next hangout.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I know that the hesitation to try hammocks within the community of ultralight backpackers is based on the weight factor. I come from this community and they simply won't even consider hammocks because the first thing they do when evaluating new gear is weigh it. They never get to the point of trying one.

I am switching because I'm getting older and comfort is now trumping weight on my priority list. And here's the kicker, I can carry all the weight associated with a hammock comfortably because I shed all the weight from my other gear.

So, in my mind, the two styles are not opposed, they actually compliment one another!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I know that the hesitation to try hammocks within the community of ultralight backpackers is based on the weight factor. I come from this community and they simply won't even consider hammocks because the first thing they do when evaluating new gear is weigh it. They never get to the point of trying one.

I am switching because I'm getting older and comfort is now trumping weight on my priority list. And here's the kicker, I can carry all the weight associated with a hammock comfortably because I shed all the weight from my other gear.

So, in my mind, the two styles are not opposed, they actually compliment one another!
    I'm a lot happier carrying that extra pound and a half when I've had a good night's sleep.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    ... I naturally assumed it was to the tune of the Queen song

I'm working toward lighter gear, though I'm certainly not there yet. I have my own opinions about the pursuit of low pack weight above and beyond all else, but I'll hold peace about that.

The thing, though: I've read all the ultralighter books I can find: Beyond Backpacking, Ultralight Backpacker, Lightweight Backpacking and Camping, etc., etc. When it comes to sleeping, it seems like these people just have different physical gifts from me, or else they aren't hiking where I am. I'm well aware that, as Jardine recommends, it's lighter not to carry a sleeping pad at all, preferring to camp on un-compacted forest duff that will both insulate and cushion. Sounds great!

Try it sometime. It's a skill that serves well in picking campsites, but I just couldn't sleep without a pad. Even with a pad, I usually woke up cramped and sore, often having spent the whole night trying to keep from falling off the pad.

Now, maybe there are people for whom that's just a delightfully comfy option, and all this "comfort" crap seems like so much B.S. That's fine, and those people are welcome to hike their own hikes. But for me, it diminishes the joy I find from being outdoors.

Then there's the question of location. Jardine suggests that staying in vibrational harmony with insects will obviate the need for bug netting. Others say that a simple headnet will work fine as long as you keep your sleeping bag zipped up.

Last weekend, I did a hike where clapping my hands in front of me killed three or four blackflies, each time, all day long. After retreating into my Hennessy hammock, it took nearly 20 minutes to kill off the insects that had followed me in--they were riding on my clothing. I think we all lost a bit of sanity on that trip.

Sure, it would be lighter just to carry a tarp and a headnet. But I would have hated it. I've done that kind of camping, and I just didn't enjoy it at all.

There are lots of other areas where I'm embracing the ultralight philosophy: clothing systems, cooking gear, water purification and carriage, food, etc.

But if a hammock gives me restful sleep (which it does), it's an easy decision to add those two pounds to my pack weight. Life is just too short.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Hammock is lighter for me

I have been on the lightweight kick for a number of years. But switching to a hammock has cut my weight down substantially. For the past few years I have been using a Black Diamond Lighthouse which I felt made a great shelter for me. But at 3 pounds versus my HH ULBA I cut out a full pound switching. Then you figure in that instead of using my pro-light 3/4 pad on the ground now I am looking at a light piece of foam at 4 oz ish instead of 13 oz. Then we could start talking about a quilt instead of a full bag and we are really talking some major cuts in pack weight. Now that heaviest thing in my pack is my pack. Just in the switch to the hammock it self and basic sleep gear I went from 15 pound base to 12.5 pound base weight. Now I know that if I change to an UQ that I will go back up a bit, and same with getting a bigger tarp than the stock HH. But I am very happy with the savings, it all starts to add up and. I tried the hole tarp thing a few times over the years and liked the simplicity but always hated the bugs. The Hammock is a great solution as I have comfortable place to retreat to if needed. I had a freind who tried a bivy sack on a trip or two. very light, but if you have to retreat to the shelter due to rain storms or bug swarms....Lets just say he only did that on one trip. Now I just need to convince my hiking buddy that this is the ticket befor he drops big bucks on a Tarp Tent.

Cheers,
    Paul

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    Strange how a little wet stuff can kick start the grey stuff.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Today at work I made an unexpected convert.

Was watching (Yet again) one of Shug's videos waiting for my relief person. He: "Hey, what is that?" Me; "a video about hammocking" (I think it was one of the hangouts). He: "Yea, I tried that once, couldn't get comfortable. But I have to find a better way of sleeping outside!!!" He isn't a camper, just likes sleeping outside. Used to do it on his trampoline. As usual, his hammock experience was laying mid line on an improperly set up hammock.
    So, I took him to my room at the station & gave the sermon "Here, lay in my hammock" And, as usual, another one leaves the dust!
    When I left him, he had already signed up as a HF member, & was cruising the pictures of various set ups.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I talk about my hammocks at work (Army post). One of the guys I talk to most, and who has helped me move into my new apartment this past week, suggested seriously that I should really look into just sleeping in it all the time. I laughed and said he was making a haha, and he said no, he was serious. I thought he was joking because that is my intent, as soon as the machinist there at work stops hunting elk long enough to make my portable hammock stand (in his home shop so no personal use of government equipment!) He acted like he was voicing a thought that had just occurred to him as a great idea. When I have my stand I'll have to take it in to work to show what a great job Tom did making it (I know he will), and folks will just have to lay in the hammock to try it out to see what I'm talking about. (insert evil laugh)
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Images
    Here's one phrase I have used quite a few times to mess with the heads of primitives who insist on sleeping on the ground in tents or swags -

"Evolve to the Trees".

Well, it is the next logical evolutionary step, isn't it?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Most of the folks I convert are over email...they stumble on the website searching for ways to reduce packweight, send me an email asking if it's really that comfortable, and then they end up here.

Other than that, just my kids. Still working on my wife (outlook not so good). My best friend is back in the country now, and our last trip on the AT was pre-hammock and miserable. I'll bring him a hammock on our next trip and see what happens.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast