Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Dangerbird vs. Blackbird

Newbie here, I did a quick search but didn't see exactly what I was looking for. Please forgive me if this has been discussed at length already as I am sure it is a comparison that has been drawn often before.

I was pretty sure that I was going to get a Hennessey as that is what one of my camping buddies has. That was until I stumbled on this forum. Now the two top contenders are the Dream Hammock Dangerbird and the Warbonnet Blackbird.

I camp in early spring and late fall in the Adirondack mountains, we see nights down near and sometimes below the 32 degree mark. That being said I was thinking about getting the DL Blackbird so I could use one of my existing ground pads with it. Then I saw the Dangerbird and fact that it is sold as a four season. I don't really consider my camping to be four season but am wondering if it will be that much warmer than the Blackbird?

One final note is obviously overall comfort, I understand this is subjective but any argument for one or the other is welcome. Thanks!!

Edited to Add:
    I am a medium framed but shorter camper, around 5'5" and 150 ish lbs
    Last edited by skinn; 02-05-2014 at 07:40.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WL Bullfrog/Tadpol
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    One thing you'll want to consider is that the Dangerbird will have an overcover and the Blackbird will not. If you are looking for a hammock with an overcover you might want to consider the Blackbird XLC and Thunderbird from Dream Hammock.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Oh boy, the Blackbird XLC wasn't on my radar for some reason. I guess now I have another decision!! I like the looks of that too, any pros or cons for going with the Blackbird XLC??

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    I've own both the DB and BB, both are great hammocks, both are well made, both have great customer service. DB is convertible, meaning you can go with open hammock, stowing both bug netting and over cover, you can have bug netted hammock stowing over cover, or you can have enclosed hammock stowing bug net. BB no options, BB does have the shelf, which can be nice for storage. The DB hammock pullout are on the hammock body and allow for the hammock to be staked out when not using bug net or over cover.

Personally I prefer the wider feeling DB over the BB, that is not to say the BB is inferior as it is my personal preference to have a wider more open hammock. I also like the multiple setup option available for the DB. As for warmth of one over another with the over cover the DB may have a temperature benefit. Even with the bug net both the DB and BB will see a temp differential inside the hammock compared to outside air temps, won't be much 3-6* but it will be there.

With the DB the bug net and over cover stay attached to the hammock at all time, the Thunderbird allows you to complete remove these items to lighten the weight of you system as needed.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Both great hammocks! I had the same dilemma a few months back, between the exact same two hammocks, when deciding which one to purchase for my upcoming AT thru-hike.

I had the opportunity to lay in a few gathered end hammocks and then the BB. Once I experienced the "footbox" of the BB I was sold. For me, it completely alleviated calf ridge and suddenly I was ultra comfortable. Many have no issues at all with calf ridge or comfort in a 'standard' gathered end but I did.

As probably more will suggest, try out as many hammocks as you can to find out what you like and don't like, it doesn't matter who makes the hammock. Once you begin to understand your body and comfort levels, the choice will become clear(er) : )

Final word on quality, you can't go wrong with either of these two hammocks.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the honest review of both systems, really leaning toward the Dangerbird for most of the reasons that you stated. I like the option of the top cover since we do see some fairly cool nights. Man this is tough, of course whatever I decide on I have to get past the finance committee (wife), she agreed to the Hennessy when I showed here but now for the price of the Hennessy package I am getting just the hammock and will need to spend another ~100 or so on a tarp!! Oh well it is an investment, I like nice gear and am willing to spend the money on it.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WL Bullfrog/Tadpol
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    If you can hold off until spring you can go to one of the group hangs and I'm sure someone will give you a chance to try out either hammock. If you make it to MAHHA at Pine Grove Furnace you can try my Thunderbird.

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable web
    Check out the trip planing threads and see if there are any up coming events in your area. It helps a LOT to get into a few hammocks and most Hammockers don't mind you trying there stuff.
    I purchased a hammock and went on a hang. Had a chance to try other hammocks and that gave me a huge education.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I really like the personalization you get with the Dream Hammocks, as in choice of colors and material. Also the quilt clips on the hammock are very nice.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    I owned a BB and currently use an SLD Streamliner (and add a bugnet, etc as needed).

The BB is highly regarded, but just didn't work for me - I am an R-L sleeper and the stock BB is for L-R sleepers (I think I got that right). In addition, I don't really need a 'shelf' and felt there was a lot of 'extra material'. Most, however, love that feature and I'm probably the only person in the western world who felt otherwise. I just like to hang a stuff sack or mesh sack from ridge line for organization and the Streamliner has a great lay so I can keep it simple.

I had a chance to see a dream hammocks product at a hang - think it was a Roaming Gnome, and am really impressed with them - but I've never owned one so no multi-night observations on that one. But I think DH will be my next.

btw, I also use a ccf pad in a DL hammock - never had any warmth issues down to about 23F or so (I just layer up if needed).

Hope this helps.
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Cinch, Whoopie/Marlin, whatever
    JRB TQ with CCF underneath
    DIY tarps

"When In Charge, Ponder. When In Trouble, Delegate. And When In Doubt, Mumble."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast