Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Why I love my Snipe (Ode to My Snipe)

Okay,

I am a huge hammock fan. I started with 2 Hennesseys, went to a Blackbird, then a RidgeRunner, even flirted with an ENO Double Nest. So here is why I think the Snipe is my favorite.

First, I don't in any way want to dismiss the other hammocks. They are all wonderful pieces of kit. I still have a close connection to my Blackbird.

The HH system wins on all round functionality (integrated net and tarp) but just seems too claustrophobic and finicky settling into.

My Blackbird saw me through many, many nights of camping, bug-free, light, top-loading, still love it.

My RidgeRunner was a nice hammock, for me it was a bit hard to insulate and the poles can be annoying to pack and store. BUT, it is the only hammock my wife is comfortable in and I love the removable net so while it is not MY hammock of choice, it is my wife's, and that likely makes it the most important piece of kit anywhere.

I didn't get much time in with my ENO DN, but I liked it. Enough that when I saw the Snipe I had to try it.

Of course when I first read about the 'Snipe' on the forums I thought it was a joke. Like the guy at the hardware store who tells me I need a board stretcher. Or when you tell your High School girlfriend you want to take her to watch the submarine races at the lake. Or when I tell my kids at the ski hill to watch out for those dangerous snow snakes. I almost dismissed it until someone actually provided a link.

So here's my rundown of why the Snipe is currently the best hammock out there. In fairness, I haven't tried the WB XLC and it looks like something I might consider testing.

1. Comfort. The Snipe is easily the most comfortable hammock. From the flat lie with no calf pressure to the fabric which feels nice (not weirdly soft like my ENO DN). This thing makes you feel comfortable no matter which side you sleep on.

2. Simplicity. No pockets (I clip stuff on my ridgeline), no zippers, no poles, no integrated tarp clips or storage pocket with clips. Just a hammock (with whoopies so you don't need to switch anything out) in a perfectly functional double ended sack for quick deployment.

3. Durability. While I haven't put a ton of hours into my Snipe, it feels as rugged as my HH without the weight or stiffness.

4. Versatility. Because of its simplicity, I can outfit my Snipe as the conditions warrant. For winter camping I forego the bug net. For summer camping I don't need a DL as the bug net removes any need for it. For shoulder seasons I can bring both, either, or neither.

5. Cost. This is the least expensive (not counting my ENO DN) of my top 3. For just over $100 I was able to buy a nano buginator with the change. I didn't need to as I already had a ENO bug net, but the lighter net looked tasty.

6. Cool factor. While hammock camping is already an elite and cool niche, it is even cooler to be counted with the rare, yet hip, Snipers. Instead of pulling out my MEC Hennessey now, I can drop into a camp and deploy my Snipe with whoopies and camo tree huggers, a nano buginator, my green dyneema SRL connected by a Dutch biner, my HammockGear Phoenix UQ connected by Dutch quilt clips and a Dutch Ridgeline Quilt Hooks, with a Warbonnet Cloudburst tarp suspended with Stingerz and secured with DIY Self-tensioning Lines tricked out with mini Line-Locs.

7. Weight. This is not even the Lite hammock, and still it's lighter than my other hammocks. I think I'll have to add rocks to my pack just so I don't fall over forwards.

You'll have to pry my Snipe from my cold (actually warm because my HG UP keeps me toasty even in the winter), dead (actually alive thanks to all that healthy fresh air and the incredible strength and reliability of my amstell whoopies) hands (or feet which will be roasting inside my Flamethrower down booties).

An Ode to my Snipe Hammock

Oh Snipe,
    Dear beautiful Snipe.
    Packed reverently by Marty on December 9, 2013,
    Boxed with down pillow in a USPS cardboard container,
    Opened cautiously by my CRKT Minimalist blade,
    Hung in the bedroom with Whoopies at exactly 32 degrees, shiny side out.
    Swung in gently, and then rambunctiously until I dozed off to my favourite zydeco lullaby.

Oh Snipe,
    Dear, favorite, beautiful Snipe.
    I love you,
    And, yes, I'm thinking about you
    Last edited by Hangandy; 02-04-2014 at 10:02.
    Please enter your signature here.

Images
    So you like it OK then?

I have the Lite Owl DL, which I have not yet put to the test as far as replacing some of my other fav hammocks, like my Claytor No Net/PeaPod combo or my JRB bridges with MW UQs. Or, still on some days, even my HH Explorer UL/HHSS combo. ( that is more because I still get a kick out of the HHSS than it is preferring the hammock, though it aint bad).

But the Lite Owl is a little long and wide for optimum use with my PeaPod, so I'd have to do break down and learn to use UQs with non-bridge hammocks like every one else. Still, I need to break down and put this thing to more use. It does seem uber comfy in some ways with really nice fabric. Though it is a bit long, and I have had, unlike most it seems, a hint of calf pressure sometimes. But maybe I just need a RL? How long is your RL?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Switch can be a drag.

I know what you mean about switching to a new system. My big question would be whether I need new insulation. That's one reason I didn't get into the RidgeRunner. It's fine for a fair weather camper, but if I tried to take it 4 season I'd need 500 bucks in new quilts.

I can't remember the length on my ridgeline. I dialed it in until when plucked it sounded like a low e string on a guitar with me in.

I'll measure next time I have out. One thing I do like about the Snipe is how well it works with Dutch gear (quilt clips, ridgeline quilt clips, Dutch biners). At first I didn't like the black color, but it has grown on me. It makes the other colored gear pop.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangandy View Post
    I know what you mean about switching to a new system. My big question would be whether I need new insulation. That's one reason I didn't get into the RidgeRunner. It's fine for a fair weather camper, but if I tried to take it 4 season I'd need 500 bucks in new quilts.

I can't remember the length on my ridgeline. I dialed it in until when plucked it sounded like a low e string on a guitar with me in.

I'll measure next time I have out. One thing I do like about the Snipe is how well it works with Dutch gear (quilt clips, ridgeline quilt clips, Dutch biners). At first I didn't like the black color, but it has grown on me. It makes the other colored gear pop.
    Cool. I got one after Shug's rave review but got a dbl layer. But, like the WBRR ( which I also got) it has not YET replaced my favs, even though in at least some ways it is super comfy. I hope to, soon, finally give it the attention/testing it deserves, I can see the potential. Same thing for the WBRR.

The Lowcountry - SC (previously Boston, MA)
    Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Slings, Dutchware
    snipey goodness
    fishwater youtube channel: Check out my channel to see backpacking in New England

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    Love the pics. One of the things I forgot to mention about the Snipe advantage is the weight factor. It's maybe a bit heavier than some of the Lite hammocks, but it's definitely lighter than my HHs, my RidgeRunner and even my Blackbird.

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    That was beautiful.....*sniff*

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adkrella View Post
    That was beautiful.....*sniff*

LOL, you guys are out of control

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Adkrella

I love Adkrella's signature line which states;

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."

May I add an improved variation;

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. The best distance apart to plant them is 15'."

Great fun!

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangandy View Post
    I love Adkrella's signature line which states;

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."

May I add an improved variation;

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. The best distance apart to plant them is 15'."

Great fun!
    that's perfect man...

• + New Posts