Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Speaking as a designer with 25+ years experience.
    Your color choices are fine. A lot of what you'll hear on that is subjective. As long as the colors don't actually clash or go against what you are, no problem.
    With the reduced cost of digital printing these days, the number of colors, use of gradations don't really matter anymore. Also your logo can easily go to black and white by the simple removal of the background color.
    Type use is is good.
    What concerns me most is the proportion of the hammock to the trees. The hammock gets lost and appears to be hanging too high in the trees. The logo also does not hold up too well when reduced to a smaller thumbnail size. In my opinion this is most critical.
    I agree with outandBack as far as name. Why is it misspelled? If there is a good reason for the different spelling such as double meaning, the the logo should emphasize that point.
    As hikingdad pointed out, who is your audience? What is your product? These are important questions when developing a logo.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post
    Why is it misspelled? If there is a good reason for the different spelling such as double meaning, the the logo should emphasize that point.
    If I'm correct, Meck is the last name of the family running the company. I think it is a nice personal touch.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by awilder View Post
    If I'm correct, Meck is the last name of the family running the company. I think it is a nice personal touch.
    This is correct. Meck is our last name. I appreciate the varying feedback/concern about the name, but I don't expect we will change that.
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post
    Speaking as a designer with 25+ years experience.
    Your color choices are fine. A lot of what you'll hear on that is subjective. As long as the colors don't actually clash or go against what you are, no problem.
    With the reduced cost of digital printing these days, the number of colors, use of gradations don't really matter anymore. Also your logo can easily go to black and white by the simple removal of the background color.
    Type use is is good.
    What concerns me most is the proportion of the hammock to the trees. The hammock gets lost and appears to be hanging too high in the trees. The logo also does not hold up too well when reduced to a smaller thumbnail size. In my opinion this is most critical.
    I agree with outandBack as far as name. Why is it misspelled? If there is a good reason for the different spelling such as double meaning, the the logo should emphasize that point.
    As hikingdad pointed out, who is your audience? What is your product? These are important questions when developing a logo.
    I appreciate the feedback. I created a black/white version of the logo to start, and added the gradient as it looked a bit bland.

I was concerned with making the hammock too big, and detracting from the 'H' standing out (which is also why hammock is so high in the trees). I'll play around with it some more, but I'm a Computer Engineer by trade.

As mentioned, Meck is our last name, thus the play on words. Some seem to think it's cheap trick, which I don't exactly follow. I personally think the "Meck Family Hammocks" or "Meck and Sons" type names are played out.

As far as target audience... We discovered that there's a big gap in hammocks. You have your ENO and GT, which are generally anywhere from $30 to $70. Then you have Warbonnet, Dream Hammock, Hennessy, etc. - which will run you anywhere upwards of $175. There's nothing in between. That's where we come in. We're basically the "middle class" of hammocks. You get a handmade hammock at a lower price than the existing cottage vendors.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Updated...

I made a few changes. Thickened up the hammock, removed the gradient, and added some "ground" to bring the hammock closer to the ground. Thoughts? I personally think I like gradient better than orange. I tried a few greens, brown, grays, etc. Orange is my favorite color, thus I went back to that. I think I'll mock it up with the gradient again, though...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Like us on Facebook!

The Lowcountry - SC (previously Boston, MA)
    Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Slings, Dutchware
    First, I think what you have looks good. But since we are all intentionally taking a critical eye to this...

Are you making two logos or one? Some of the more successful outdoor companies that I can think of (patagonia, north face) seems to stick with one logo for everything. Maybe having the orange background extend behind your entire name would look good in a way to merge both logos? maybe not.

In my opinion the solid color looks better. The gradient gives off a 1990's look, but perhaps that is just me.
    fishwater youtube channel: Check out my channel to see backpacking in New England

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Cool.. I like it.. when you make it into a patch can you send me one for the banana hammeck I got off you for my kid?

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwater View Post
    First, I think what you have looks good. But since we are all intentionally taking a critical eye to this...

Are you making two logos or one? Some of the more successful outdoor companies that I can think of (patagonia, north face) seems to stick with one logo for everything. Maybe having the orange background extend behind your entire name would look good in a way to merge both logos? maybe not.

In my opinion the solid color looks better. The gradient gives off a 1990's look, but perhaps that is just me.
    The circle logo itself is going to be the logo, but I'm also attempting to incorporate it with the company name for the website banner and other things of that ilk.

It's funny, some people really love gradients, some hate them. I'm in the boat of loving them. In this case, I wanted it to look like the sun setting. I like the solid orange, as well.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    Cool.. I like it.. when you make it into a patch can you send me one for the banana hammeck I got off you for my kid?
    Absolutely! I'm going to try to get a run of stickers to start. Not sure who to work with on that, though... More research!

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    First time I ever stitched a logo onto a hammock was Sept 15, 2013.
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/photos/...el_Hammock.jpg

"The greatest thing to be achieved in advertising, in my opinion, is believability, and nothing is more believable than the product itself." ~ Leo Burnett

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast