Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Camped up that way before. Making the reservations is the hardest part of getting a shelter on the IAT. Is the water spigot on at the ranger station this time of year?

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    Camped up that way before. Making the reservations is the hardest part of getting a shelter on the IAT. Is the water spigot on at the ranger station this time of year?
    Yes. It said my response was to short. Yes it was

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    I thought there were some shelters that were not reservable, but were a first come first serve on the day of. I'm not sure. I think I read somewhere that those still need to be reserved through a ranger station or a phone call.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You definitely have to make reservations. I believe the problem comes in with the computer kicking it back. Their policy is for a minimum of two days, yet when you hike the IAT you want to move on the next day and then it doesn't want you in a shelter for more then one night because it's a backpacking thing. Something weird like that. All I know is it takes a minimum of an hour to complete, with the help of a supervisor. It was not just me. A friend had the same issue.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I like shelter two at South Kettle Moraine because there is water at the ranger station. When I hiked from one to another I stashed water and firewood close to the shelter and then hike to it. Most of the wood is picked over pretty early in the season. Shelter three had a farm close by with a cow that MOO'ed all night. Drove us crazy

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    I am planning another 1 night camp out on Saturday March 8th. I got some new equipment and readjusted my peapod setup. We are suppose to get some snow but the temps should be above 12 for the low.
    I was planning on doing another walkin but this time at Mauthe Lake in the Kettle North but am open to another location if anyone else is interested in going.
    Last time I mis calculated my water needs and the temps got 15'f lower then I had anticipated. I normally can start fires real fast but was having issues with cold hands, lack of dry wood and I started getting dehydrated.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Marking the calender, I'll do my best to make it. Haven't been to the Northern Kettles yet, Southern Kettles are just quicker and easier for me to get away to.

I always carry 5L if water, 3L bladder and a pair of 1L bottles usually used only for cooking. Overkill by some peoples standards but I've run out before, and as you know that's not a good thing.

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Marking the calender, I'll do my best to make it. Haven't been to the Northern Kettles yet, Southern Kettles are just quicker and easier for me to get away to.

I always carry 5L if water, 3L bladder and a pair of 1L bottles usually used only for cooking. Overkill by some peoples standards but I've run out before, and as you know that's not a good thing.
    It had been a while since I went winter camping. I hiked in which only was a mile or two but it ended up snowing and I could not get a good fire started so instead of getting more water I was trying to build a better fire. Instead of eating when i was hungry, I went and got water. And when I should have gotten more food and water (i should have added hot water to my containers) i went to sleep in a uncomfortable thirsty position. From what i am reading deyhdration leads to less ability to control core temp. It was actually good because it made me rethink my stuff especially with the unanticipated 15'F colder temps. I am going to bring more. Good advice. My first two 3s were in short supply.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    I wish I could make it but I will be in Black River Falls doing a WFA cert class that weekend. Some of us will be hanging up near hayward the following weekend over St. Patricks day. I have been out hanging 3 times over the last 3 weeks and have woken up to see temps in the -30 to -20 range still. Take care out there
    Last edited by NickoftheWoods; 03-02-2014 at 16:15.
    Owner and guide at nowoutdoors.org
    www.meetup.com/Wilderness-Adventure-Group/
    https://www.facebook.com/NickAtNowOutdoors/

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by CryOTheWild View Post
    I wish I could make it but I will be in Black River Falls doing a WFA cert class that weekend. Some of us will be hanging up near hayward the following weekend over St. Patricks day. I have been out hanging 3 times over the last 3 weeks and have woken up to see temps in the -30 to -20 range still. Take care out there

I seen the vids of you guys. I am definitely going to make a group outing with you guys. Watching a hiking dad video waiting for 12am to come and leave work. I am going to be up north alot this summer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast