Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images

Darien Advice

I think I am pretty much settled on a Darien (10' ridge) for the wife but I am really curious if anyone has advice on fabrics. I am going to be getting a single layer for a 5'2" 100lb soaking wet female so fabric weight is not as much of a concern, it's going to be about feel. I have slept in a doublenest tyoe hammock, 1.1 oz DWR, 1.6oz DWR and 1.9oz DWR but I have little experience witht eh 1.8oz taffeta pure finish or the 2.7oz marpat. Can anyone tell me how these fabrics feel in comparison to regular ol DWR ripstop?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have 2 Dream Hammocks made from 1.1 oz olive ripstop. Love the fabric. It seems softer than other rip stop.

If the hammock is for hiking, I would go with the lightest fabric. For me (5'4", 130lbs) the difference in comfort between the fabrics is minimal - but I appreciate any weight savings on my back. I have to say, though, that I only have double layered hammocks.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Both my boys have 1.1 single layer Darien's. I've never payed in them but the feel is great. And they are less than a pound ready to hanging a tree.

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    In the stable right now, I have a gathered end 11' 1.1 oz olive green with dynaglide whoopies, 1.9oz 11' gathered end, A Trek Light Double and a single layer 1.6oz Roaming Gnome. I do love the olive hammock but I had just never tried the 1.8oz taffeta and thought the wife would love that red color, but you're right, if I can ever get her to backpack in with me the 1.1oz would be preferable (especially with dynaglide whoopies). Right now we bikepack so weight isn't as much of an issue as bulk and we car camp.

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I have 2 Dream Hammocks made from 1.1 oz olive ripstop. Love the fabric. It seems softer than other rip stop.

If the hammock is for hiking, I would go with the lightest fabric. For me (5'4", 130lbs) the difference in comfort between the fabrics is minimal - but I appreciate any weight savings on my back. I have to say, though, that I only have double layered hammocks.
    would you mind adding a pic of your 1.1oz olive hammock?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Sure. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures where the beauty of the fabric really shows.

If it's only the color, why not go with Argon CS90 Red or, a bit more sturdy, Illume15 Bossa Nova Red? I'm sure, Randy could do this for you.

I would go with the lightest fabric for bicycling, too. Thinner fabrics also tend to pack more compact. I started out with a Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.7 and then moved to a 1.0, which only takes up 3/4 of the space in my panniers.

I have a BIAS Lite Hiker, which is made from Tafetta. Comfortwise I don't see a big difference to e.g. 1.1 oz ripstop. I think this will be more of an issue with more body weight.

Images
    I sleep in my cloths and use a pillow so I don't really feel the fabric.
    My concerns when selecting a hammock is usually durability and stretch
    or the lack of it. I don't like material that stretches too much. Some prefer it.

Just something to consider.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I sleep with clothes, too. But with my double layered hammocks I never noticed discernible stretch. My lighter hammocks feel a bit more "bouncy", but not stretchy. With 130 lbs I'm on the low weight end. 100 lbs are even lower, and I think the difference in comfort becomes negligible. However, more space in the panniers or a couple of oz less on the back make themselves felt a lot more. As a small/ish person, you have to carry more weight in relation to your body weight and strength anyway than a larger person.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I sleep with clothes, too. But with my double layered hammocks I never noticed discernible stretch. My lighter hammocks feel a bit more "bouncy", but not stretchy. With 130 lbs I'm on the low weight end. 100 lbs are even lower, and I think the difference in comfort becomes negligible. However, more space in the panniers or a couple of oz less on the back make themselves felt a lot more. As a small/ish person, you have to carry more weight in relation to your body weight and strength anyway than a larger person.
    Since you have an underquilt why carry the extra weight of a second layer?
    Like you said at 130 there is no stretch.
    You could use a 1.1 single layer and save a ton of weight.
    With the Op's weight requirement 1.0 single could be used but then we are back to durability.

If you like a silk bed sheet feel then the 1.1 is the way to go but if you prefer a bit more
    durability and firmer support I always recommend 1.7 until you hit the weight limit they I'd suggest the 1.7 dbl.
    For me 1.7 is the perfect compromise.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 02-02-2014 at 12:45.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I'm 5'6", 150 lbs and I use a 10' 1.1 sl T-Bird and love it. Very minimal if any stretch and super comfy. Being 50 lbs under the weight limit I have no regrets getting the 1.1 sl. Plus makes me have to keep my beer gut at a minimal

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast