WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

HG v.s. EE

So i looked back and read some similar post. And it seems which ever way i go ill probably be happy but i gotta ask anyway. It seems these companies have changed some of there products since those older posts were up.

I'm looking to get a 20 degree quilt for spring/summer/fall use. I have winter covered for now. I'm leaning towards a snap foot box for more versatility and when i know it will be cold i will have my 40 below camp booties with so my feet should be fine, even with a little draft.

But I'm stuck between enlightened and hammock gear. Either way i will be ordering a long/wide quilt, I'm 6'3" and 220lbs. Unless someone can convince me that i only need something smaller.

The EE 800fp non-treated down is $335, long/wide
    The HG 850fp treated down is $280, long/wide
    or
    The UGQ 850 fp treated down is $299, long/wide

The other question is do i need overstuff with either of these companies?

Thanks,
    Vince
    Last edited by Vincethebutcher; 01-31-2014 at 01:49. Reason: adding option to question

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite 11ft
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, Owyhee
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    I cannot speak for enLIGHTened equipment, but from what I've heard through my research the Hammock Gear quilts have accurate temperature ratings. Overstuff is going to be dependent on what kind of sleeper you are (hot or cold). So far it sounds like the HG is superior with a higher fill power and being a treated down. You can't go wrong with HG for that price. I am sure EE is a quality product, but based on FP, the down treatment, and price I'd go with HG.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You may want to also look at UGQ, and they have treated 850 down also. Personally I would not pay more for untreated down. There are a few other good companies like Wilderness Logics and Jacks R Better to consider also. I don't know if you looked at them yet. Do lots of research before you make your final decision. Good luck to you, and I apologize if I made it more confusing for you.
    "No whining in the woods"

Images
    I've got an EE RevX XL (no longer made) and an HG UQ. You are correct that you really can't go wrong either way. I am your same size and would not go smaller. I love the extra length and width. Each company does a level of overstuff already so if they are advertising a particular temp range you'll be good to that and a good bit below (Both of mine are rated 20° and I can get into the teens easily and have little doubt about single digits).

Based on the pricing you stated in your OP, go with HG. Again, you won't be disappointed either way and both are excellent to work with. Tell them what you want and they will make it happen.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I have a few TQ from both. Can't go wrong with either. Here is what might sway you. For hammock only, I would go Hammock Gear. If you go to Ground Much I would go EE. Both work well in a hammock but I prefer the sewn footbox of the hammock gear quilt to the zippered quilt of EE.

To your question regrading overstuff, I like it but not overly done. 2 to 4 Oz max for me.

S

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    To your question regrading overstuff, I like it but not overly done. 2 to 4 Oz max for me.
    Ya i was only thinking of overstuffing around 2oz but just wondering if it was even needed.

So that seems like +4 for HG. Thanks everyone.

I'm not sold on jack-R-better, i really want a quilt for closer to 20 degrees. The mid range TQ is rated to 25-30 degrees. And i would like to take it down to 10 as a absolute low before i switch to winter set up.

UGQ is definitely a player and have looked at them some too. I've read nothing but good things about them on here. I moded the OP to include them in my choice. But they are still more expensive than HG, and slightly heavier.

I'm thinking i will go with HG, unless someone has a really convincing argument that i should go with another company.

And i just need to get the funds together. Hopefully a week or so.

Images
    As far as value for money goes combined with great customer service I don't think you can go past Marty at Wilderness Logics. Marty is one of the nicest fella's I have dealt with, mind you my experience with Tim at EE was excellent also when I had a slight drama with one of his quilts a while back.

Disclaimer: I have a business relationship with Marty but in another country, so I don't get anything for singing his praises .

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    HF is a community. I try to spend my money at home.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    All great choices and you'll be happy we any of them. We prefer our's as you can imagine. One thing to consider is apple to apple, for example we provide 16oz 850 HyperDry Down in our base 55X84 20* quilt, HG 14oz, EE not sure which size your looking at so it could be anywhere from 14-16oz. Our goal is not to be the lightest, it is to provide the possible combinations of durability, weight, and function for your money....
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HG and UGQ have been on my short list to choose from as well as EE. In the the end I think I am going to go with the EE as they offer a wider size at 58" than the other two at 55" This is a big deal to me because I am a big guy at 6' 290 pounds and I need that extra girth. On top of that I emailed Tim last night with a few questions and had a reply within 5 minutes. I like this.

That being said if there were more size choices for wide with the other two brands it could have gone a different way since they are significantly cheaper.

Bottom line is after researching all these brands A LOT over the past few days it seems you wont be dissapointed regardless of which quilt you choose! Good luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast