Claytor Jungle hammock
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon guide
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

Claytor jungle hammock

I'm thinking of ordering a claytor jungle hammock for my wife. It would be used mostly in the spring summer fall time frame. I know that she well want a hammock with a bug net. The price seems good and it comes with a tarp. Anyone have any advice on this hammock?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    They're a solid hammock, but I'd skip buying his rain fly. Coverage isn't great.

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    I'm rocking one. The first thing I did was switch to a continuous ridge line for the tarp, I'm using the dutch edition from whoopieslings.com. Second thing I did was get the complete dutch cinch buckle suspension, SO much better than tying knots on the included straps. Then I went with a Maxi winter tarp, the Claytor diamond tarp doesn't protect much from wind. The hammock itself is great, but I'm thinking of going with a single layer Dream hammock and lighten my load.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoEvo View Post
    I'm rocking one. The first thing I did was switch to a continuous ridge line for the tarp, I'm using the dutch edition from whoopieslings.com. Second thing I did was get the complete dutch cinch buckle suspension, SO much better than tying knots on the included straps. Then I went with a Maxi winter tarp, the Claytor diamond tarp doesn't protect much from wind. The hammock itself is great, but I'm thinking of going with a single layer Dream hammock and lighten my load.
    Couldn't agree more about those ropes although I went whoopie, but a buckle suspension would work just fine as well

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle hammock
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon guide
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I put a whoopie suspension on my hammock and really like it. I think I'll put whoopie s on the wife

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I have 8 hammocks, including the most "popular" on here. My wife keeps going back to her claytor. She really likes it. I think it is a great hammock and a great value. I did do some reinforcing of the stitching and cleaned it up a bit.

I like the diamond tarp. Properly hung, it can provide protection and is easily deployed. Ridge line, 2 tie outs, done.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I started with a Claytor JH. A couple of things I'd consider are the width and the weight. If you are only car camping with your wife then the weight won't be an issue. If you're backpacking I'd look for something lighter.

The Claytor is only 48" wide and I personally found it too narrow to get a proper diagonal sleeping position. Most camping hammocks today are in the 60" wide range. If you can afford it, I'd go with something wider and lighter.

Miguel

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    DIY a Tablecloth hammock, and you can pick the color and size, SL or DL. Tableclothsfactory.com has sales all the time. A cheap way to get your wife started, and she will really love the hammock. Recommend the 132x90 or 126x60 crinkle taffetta rectangular. Good luck to you and your wife.
    "No whining in the woods"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I started with a Claytor JH. A couple of things I'd consider are the width and the weight. If you are only car camping with your wife then the weight won't be an issue. If you're backpacking I'd look for something lighter.

The Claytor is only 48" wide and I personally found it too narrow to get a proper diagonal sleeping position. Most camping hammocks today are in the 60" wide range. If you can afford it, I'd go with something wider and lighter.

Miguel
    Exactly Miguel, it is the narrowest non-bridge hammock out there I suspect. This is the reason it has always been my go to for use with a Speer PeaPod, but regardless causes no issues for me at all, though I am 6'1", ~ 210. I was hanging in the pod on a cold day again just recently, and noticed that the calf pressure was - as usual- way on the low side for gathered hammocks and quite tolerable, same for knee hyper-extension, plus I could lay on my side with legs straight with = to or > than comfort compared to any other hammock I have. I can get comfy fetal with several hammocks, but few- other than my bridges- are comfy for me with legs straight on my side. Usually get discomfort in my waist. Plus, it is unique in this fashion: when on my side in the pod, I can have my face right on the edge( and yes that feels OK) of the hammock, actually almost towards stomach sleeping(barely)- anyway my face is facing slightly downward- and can rotate the pod so that breathing vent is on the side, even under my mouth/nose. Cold air sinks, warm air rises. So I can breath that vapor right out that vent and virtually no cold air comes in the vent. And the top layer of the pod is mostly laying down right on top of me. This is a cold weather trick that I can not match with any other combo and works great. And it is partly due to the narrowness of the hammock.

But, every thing I just said applies to the Claytor No Net. I had the netted model, and did not keep it, though I am not sure why. I think I sold it just because I had several other net models and felt I was getting too many(LOL!). But, I'm trying to remember if the diagonal lay caused any potential problems with the net on this narrow hammock? (If it did, a simple mod would probably fix it)

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle hammock
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon guide
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    As we are both large people there is some comfort in going with a ready made hammock. As mosquitos are bad in the Atlantic provinces where we will camp a netted hammock seems like a smart choice. Although car camping well be done as well as canoe camping. I'm not to concerned with the weight as it might help me and her lose pounds where we need it most.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast