HH ultralight
    Tarp
    stock (looking)
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Stock

Need UQ advice

Hey everyone, need advice. I'm looking to get an under quilt for my HHUL and ditch my bulky 20 degree bag. I have a very compact 50 degree fleece bag that I will keep with me.
    My goal is to just set up the under quilt and be able to sleep in the 30-40 degree range with only the fleece bag and some cold weather clothing.
    Is this possible? What would I want to get? Price, packed size, degree UQ? Weight isn't that big of a concern because my 20 degree bag weights a ton and takes up alot of room.
    I'm tired of climbing in to one bag then the next bag and I'm still cold in the mid 40s range. My but gets very cold and my body doesn't get as warm as I want. I'll do the nalgene with boiling water trick and I've been warm but its time consuming and can waste gas.
    Any advice would be great thanks.

most of your questions are answered on other threads just do a search. As far as your fleece, try it get a lawn chair go outside and cover yourself, see if that works for you.

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It really doesn't matter how good your underquilt is if your top cover is substandard. You can get cold from the top or bottom.

Get a good UQ and a top quilt. You will be much happier.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by le_butters View Post
    Hey everyone, need advice. I'm looking to get an under quilt for my HHUL and ditch my bulky 20 degree bag. I have a very compact 50 degree fleece bag that I will keep with me.
    My goal is to just set up the under quilt and be able to sleep in the 30-40 degree range with only the fleece bag and some cold weather clothing.
    Is this possible?
    Certainly, if you have thick and warm enough clothing. If you are going to replace a 20F bag( assuming it is actually as warm as claimed) with a 50F fleece bag, you are going to have to come up with some pretty warm clothing. It's going to need to be about as warm as the bag not counting the fleece bag(liner?). For example, if you are warm, with that bag alone, to say 30F, and you need nothing at 70 and above, then you have 70-30= 40F worth of added warmth from the bag. 50F of protection if you can actually sleep down to 20F. That will require some pretty thick clothing with or without the fleece bag.

What would I want to get? Price, packed size, degree UQ? Weight isn't that big of a concern because my 20 degree bag weights a ton and takes up alot of room.
    I'm tired of climbing in to one bag then the next bag and I'm still cold in the mid 40s range.
    So are you saying that the bag PLUS the fleece bag is what you have been using, and you are still not warm enough in the 40? In that case you are going to be even colder once you get rid of that bag. Do you have enough very warm clothing, that would be ( just the clothing) warmer than that bag? If so, you are good to go.

My but gets very cold and my body doesn't get as warm as I want. I'll do the nalgene with boiling water trick and I've been warm but its time consuming and can waste gas.
    Any advice would be great thanks.
    Are you using anythin now for back/butt warmth, like a pad? Well that cold butt should be taken care of by a correctly working/adjusted UQ, or even just a WM blue CCF pad. And I think, in a hammock, an extra warm UQ contributes even to top warmth, somewhat. However, you are still going to need adequate top warmth. And if you are going to be doing 30F in a 50F fleece bag, you are going to need some clothing that you can sleep warmly(on top) in at 50F using nothing else on top. If you use a hood on a mummy bag, you will also need to make up for that stout addition to overall warmth.

Also, is your bag a wide one with full length zipper, and can you get the netting out of the way on your hammock? If so, maybe experiment with wrapping the bag entirely around the hammock. Pea Pod style- look up Shug's videos. It might take some fiddling around to get things sealed up and adjusted right and snugged up, but it can be very warm. Your butt would probably be warmer because now you will not be compressing the insulation in your bag by laying on it. And it is easily boosted(a lot) by adding clothing or fleece bags laid out on top of you or under your hammock.

• + New Posts