HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH asym
    Insulation
    AHE FlameThrower
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Tarp Fabrics

What is the difference between the silnylon and polyester fabrics in a tarp? Hennessy sells both of these fabrics and silnylon is noticeably more expensive. Why is this?
    “We are not a club or a Sunday school class, but a
    school of the woods.” -Lord Baden Powell

Thanks,
    Matt

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    It cost more to manufacture and if you notice the weight difference the silnylon is much lighter.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    As far as I know, polyester tarps are all coated with PU. I have not had good experience with PU coating in other equipment like bags, backpacks, stuff sacks. Sooner or later the PU coating peels off. I can't say if this happens with PU coated tarps as well, but I would assume so.

I haven't had any problems with silicone coated nylon, yet. Apart from that, it is lighter and packs smaller, because it is so flexible and slick. I would say it's well worth the extra money.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phatt_millips View Post
    What is the difference between the silnylon and polyester fabrics in a tarp?
    To my knowledge, siliconized rip-stop nylon is not only very light, but the silicone soaks into and permeates the fabric and and the threads themselves.

Polyester is "coated" so that eventually the water-proof coating peels off. Not to mention, the fabric itself and the coating too are heavier.

If funds are tight, the polyester isn't a bad way to start out, as you learn what works for you. It will protect you. But I'm betting one of your first upgrades will be to a sil-nylon tarp eventually.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    What they said.

PU-coated tarps, with care, can last for years...on the other hand, they eventually do wear out. And the difference in weight is usually fairly noticeable between PU-coated and silnylon--though the Hennessy tarps don't show much of a difference (a ~4.4 oz difference in their 12' x 10' hex tarps). I'd wager that Hennessy does enough business to get a good deal on a specific coating method for their poly tarps, making for a lighter material per square yard.

On the other hand, if you're DIYing a tarp, a good example is the difference in weight of the coating between DIY Gear Supply's 70D PU-coated ripstop (1.25 oz/sq yd) and their 30d silnylon (0.3 oz/sq yd). It's almost a difference of 1 oz/sq yd between the two coating weights.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    This tarp is made from 70d PU coated from DIY Gear Supply. It is 11x10 and weighs 27 oz. without guylines and stuff sack. The same size tarp in silnylon would run about 15-16 oz. It is on the heavy side, but durable. I've had it going on 3 years and have not seen any wear or peeling the others have spoke of. That being said, I am going with a silnylon Superfly simply because I can get a larger, more versatile tarp for less weight.

RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Just to confuse the issue Hilleberg are using a 75D silicone coated polyester (Kerlon SP) in some of their tents. I'm not sure if this is for retail anywhere but it weighs just over 2oz per sq.yard. Their lightest fabric is a 20D silicon nylon at 1.2 oz.

I have silnylon tarps that are still in use after 10 years of canoe tripping. PU stuff never seems to last as long.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    My PU coated raincoat just peeled last spring. It lasted maybe 8 years, if that. The bits of rubbery PU coating that comes off get everywhere, not to mention the coat is no longer water proof.

I'm in the market for a tarp, as well, and because of my experience, won't even consider PU coated anything. I'd rather wait and save for a something that's a little more expensive that will last.

• + New Posts