Hammock
    HH D-Explorer Asym, ENO D-nest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HHSS, Jærven
    Suspension
    Straps+rope, Atlas

Sleeping bag: Carinthia Defence 4 + Tropen (Modular Sleep System)

I'm no ultralite backpacker, but after 10 years of hauling my 5kg 3/4-season sleeping bag around, I thought it was about time to spring for some new kit. My goal was to get something with similar functionality to my old Norwegian army sleeping bag with regards to space, but less weight. So, I made a list, and got off to the WEB to see if anyone had written anything helpful about the topic.

My list:
    • Weight 2-3kg (~50% reduction)
    • 4-season
    • Center zipper
    • Weatherproof
    • Self cleaning

After reading for a while, I concluded that synthetic was the only alternative for me as the environment I live in (SW Norway) tend to be a bit on the wet side. As you may already know, down loses its insulation effect when it gets wet. (Down would be wonderful as the bag would have been instantly warm, lighter and less voluminous than a synthetic bag, and was my initial desire...)

The bad thing with internet shopping is that there is to much to choose from, and that you are not able to test anything before you get it home. So you end up searching for things people have tried out and have written the odd kind word about on the web. I think I stumbled over the keyword USMSS on bushcraftuk.com, and started looking for a sleep system comprising of two bags, a 2-season bag and a 3-season bag that could be combined. I also stumbled over the manufacturer Carinthia on my browsing for USMSS. The modular sleeping system is NATO approved, and has been used by many countries armed forces.

I found some reviews of the Carinthia Defence 4 in different languages - not to many in English though. I read through the German reviews, and watched some youtube videos without understanding the languages spoken. Long story short - I decided to purchase a set of Carinthias Defence 4 and Tropen when I found a Norwegian internet shop selling the large version (200cm/6'6") of the pair for NOK 1957,- (USD 322/GBP 193). If this works, I will have a system that will work fairly nice for me in my environment.

MANUFACTURER SPECS
    Tropen (2-season sleeping bag)
    • NSN# 8465-41-000-1612
    • Manufacturer temperature rating: Comfort lim +5°C (41°F) , Extreme -12°C (10°F)
    • Weight ~1300g (45,8oz)
    • Length: 235cm (~93")
    • Shoulder width: 87cm (~34")
    • Footend width: 65cm (~26")

Defence 4 (3-season sleeping bag)
    • NSN# 8465-41-000-1606
    • Manufacturer temperature rating: Comfort lim -15°C (5°F) , Extreme -38°C (-36°F)
    • Weight ~2000g (70,5oz)
    • Length: 230cm (~91")
    • Shoulder width: 87cm (~34")
    • Footend width: 60cm (~24")

Anyone here who has any experience with this sleep system?

I will get back with more information as soon as I have received and tested the bags.
    I love a good nights sleep as well as anybody - I just love mine elevated...

Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HHSS, Jærven
    Suspension
    Straps+rope, Atlas
    I received my modular sleep system, and have spent two nights in it by now.

First impressions:
    • Compression sacks of good quality
    • Bags look comfy
    • Feels roomy
    • Seams look good
    • Zippers work well
    • Mosquito net looks good, and zipper is OK

I've seen some reviewers complain about the mosquito net zipper, but I find nothing wrong with it on my Tropen (for now at least). Seams have been commented on as well, but they look fine to me.

As I was home alone with my kids, I had to try the summer bag out first. I thought I'd better start testing the bag for the occasional cabin sleep over, and so I did. I found the coldest room in the house (~14°C/58°F) and went to bed on a sleep sofa. I slept using the Tropen as a TQ using a sleeping bag liner as I'm still testing the kit. During the night I had to lift the cover a couple of times as I was good and warm. The bag length fit my 187cm/6'1" well. This is how it should be IMHO.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HHSS, Jærven
    Suspension
    Straps+rope, Atlas
    Defence 4 - outdoor test
    Last night I went out to test the 3-season bag alone. It was about -2°C/28°F outside and windy (fresh breeze ~10m/s). I decided to test it lying on a McKenzie aluminium folding camping cot, as it gives similar heat loss issues you experience in a hammock.

This is what I used:
    • Buff on my head
    • Long sleeved Polyester shell (Swedemount Layer 2)
    • Cotton long pajamas trousers
    • Cotton socks
    • Sleeping bag liner: Reactor Thermolite® - Sea to Summit
    • Foam sleeping pad

I started out the night on the camping cot without any pad under me. I knew it would be a bad idea, but just had to try it out to see how it would go, and how fast I would feel the chill. I felt the chill just as fast as I have with any other sleeping bags that I've tried, so I had to get up and roll out the sleeping pad on the cot, and went back to sleep.

I woke up several times through the night to adjust my position. Everytime I lay on my side, the wind compressed the bag enough that I started to feel the chill. Laying on my back is not something I like doing, so I woke up wanting to move over to my side again. And the night passed, and morning crept up on me...

Under the circumstances, the night was OK. I got the test done, that I wanted, with as little clothing as I wanted. I know I must take woollen clothes next time, as I believe my lack of clothing inside the bag is essential to how fast I felt the chill. And, yes - I will not attempt another night without any kind of insulation under me.

The sleeping bag worked as it was intended. Seldom have I seen such a buffed bag - it was just filled with air. The outer shell worked its magic and kept the small amounts of snow that came during the night outside, and the fabric never got wet. It also trapped the air inside, and let it become the insulating layer we all want. Due to the trapped air, getting the bag into the compression bag took a minute extra, but it was no big deal.
    The bag is a keeper!

NEXT UP
    Tonight we have a snow storm over us with winds at strong breeze level (~13m/s). It has been snowing the better part of the day, and mowing the snow is just a waste of time as it is clogged back up within the hour due to the wind. (I LOVE IT!!! First real snow of the year... ) I'm going to take my HH Explorer Deluxe with the HH SuperShelter (my Christmas present) out for a run together with the Defence 4. Never used the HH-SS before, so it will be interesting to see how it behaves. The undercover is mounted and waiting in my snake skins, so it should be ready for easy deployment in the woods.

I hope I will get the time to write up my experience from this test tomorrow.

Happy hanging!

Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HHSS, Jærven
    Suspension
    Straps+rope, Atlas
    Defence 4 outdoor - test in HH Explorer Deluxe
    I must say that the night from Saturday to Sunday was a very good run of my new kit. As I wrote, we had promise of a windy and snowy night. Actual weather was not so much snow, but mildly cold (-3°C/26,5°F) and windy (~12m/s), giving an effective chill factor of -11,5°C/11,3°F. It was cold for the area where I live, but not exceptional.

I wandered into the woods, and found me a nice place to hang my hammock. Tried the hanging instructions of dejoha (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=hennessy+tarp), and had a tight tarp, but not excellent. The tarp was left a bit too high above my ridgeline, but it was so late in the night that I didn't bother fixing it.

So my setup was:
    • HH Explorer Deluxe
    • Stock tarp
    • HH SuperShelter (UC+pad)
    • Carinthia Defence 4 (sleeping bag)
    • NO space blanket - this time

After an hour or so in the wind, I started to identify CBS creping up on me (Cold Butt Syndrome - for the uninvited). Fortunately, I had brought the Carinthia Tropen summer bag with me as well (at 1kg/35,3oz it was not that much extra on the short hike ). Instead of using it as a bag in bag setup, I just maneuvered the Tropen under me, so I lay on top of the summer bag, and inside the Defence 4. CBS was gone, never to return during the night.

My greatest issue on this trip was that one of our cats tagged along. He tends to do so when I walk the dog, but this time he clearly could not understand why someone would go to bed in such an unwelcoming environment. At least that was what I deducted from his sorry moaning. He went "meauw-auw, meauww", and did not stop until I had settled onto the summer bag. I fell asleep, and suddenly woke up again as he started moaning again... Lasy Fortuna was with me again - I had ear plugs in my trouser pocket. Once inserted - no cat could keep me from my warm sleep.

When I woke up in the morning, I felt really warm and cozy inside the sleeping bag. I had woken from the alarm clock as I had to be somewhere, so I had to get out of the bag and get packed before long. My thought was that it felt so warm inside the bag, that the temperature must have risen - never have I been so wrong... When I opened my bag, I nearly got a cold shock... It had dropped yet another degree, and the wind had shifted a bit coming at me along the line of the hammock (in over the feet, and out over the head). I closed the sleeping bag immediately, and I wished i did not have plans for the day - other than staying in the hammock.

Wishful thinking aside - I got out of the bag and the hammock, packed my things (good that I had brought my cold weather wind breaking parkas... ), and walked 750m downhill to my house. A good and refreshing night - with ear plugs - with promise of more to come...

Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HHSS, Jærven
    Suspension
    Straps+rope, Atlas
    Carinthia Tropen - indoor sleeping
    I had a strenuous evening last night (Sunday evening/night)... I went up into the mountains with a friend of mine to prepare his site for todays photoshoot. He is filming and taking photos of the golden eagle (Aquila chrysaetos), which is extremely shy. We had to carry up bait, which he would bind to some big rocks this morning before "the long wait". He has built a photo shelter (4 people can find good shelter within) about 10-15m(30-50ft) away from the rocks. In order to get the best pictures, we moved some snow onto the barren rock - which will work nicely as a soft box for the light, and works wonders for the clarity of the images.

Anyway - when I came home I fell asleep on the sofa with the Tropen on top of me. I must admit that with the kit - Defence 4 + Tropen - Carinthia has got me covered. I will keep both bags, use them together or apart and be well taken care of.

For NOK1990,-/USD320,-/GBP194,- I believe I have found my partners for the next 5-10 years. My short week of testing is complete, and the bags are not going back to the shop.

As this is my very first review of any gear - feel free to ask. I may have forgotten to describe some aspects of the bags, even if I believe I have tested most of what I find important.

Stay elevated - stay warm!

• + New Posts