Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thailand/Laos - which hammock to camp in?

Hei there,

I am new to the forums but already hooked! Great stuff you find here.

I've read around a lot to find a suitable hammock to sleep in on a 6 week Laos/Thailand climbing trip. I know we will find cheap accomodation there as well, but the majority of nights shall be spent in a hammock. We will travel in Febuary/March and nights should not get colder than 15°C, so no underquilt or anything like that needed.

I have narrowed my decision down to these two options:

a) buy DD Frontline 2012
    B) DYI WBBB clone

Now there is one question I have in particular: In a bed I usually sleep on my stomach or on my side, therefore I think I will prefer a rather flat position in the hammock. The WBBB does allow a diagonal lay, which makes for a flatter position, I have read. Is this also the case with the DD?
    A lot of people only talk about the built quality when discussing the DD, but for me the most important thing is whether it is comfortable to sleep in or not. Can you advise me here?

I am on a limited budget as well as on time, so I would prefer the easiest solution and just buy the DD. If however the WBBB clone will allow me to sleep much more comfortable I will get my crafty skills going and make one with this tutorial https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=38451 (This is great!!)

What do you think?

Also: For people who have been to Laos and Thailand at this time of the year: Is the mosquito net essential when sleeping outdoors? If not I can buy a much simpler hammock, I guess

Thank you for your help!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Tewa Breeze
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Hey, your trip sounds fun and exciting! I stayed in Tonsai Bay in Krabi Thailand for a week and enjoyed some climbing.
    A bug net is essential, that is all I am going to say.
    My hammock is a double layer 1.9 WBBB. I think double layer fabric is best to keep the bugs from biting through as well.
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Double skinned hammock & bug net is essential...& make sure your shots / jabs are up to date too.
    Also a hospital stay will cost a fortune so look into some cheap travel insurance.....

Accommadation is cheap, food is cheap, rail & bus travel is cheap.
    Just in case you extend your trip, there's the Thai new year (nationwide water festival) around 13-15th April,
    take a spare set of clothes & be prepared to get wet everyday, for about a week, where ever you go.....

Enjoy the first few days of culture shock.....then relax & enjoy your trip, j-coop.
    Last edited by ofuros; 01-23-2014 at 15:25.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hei,

Thank you for the great answers and suggestions!

I got my vaccinations and travel insurance already covered.

Now I am still especially interested in the DD Hammock. Does it allow something that comes close to a diagonal/flat lay?
    It does have two layers as both of you have suggested but apart from mosquitos, will I be sleeping sort of comfortably during those 6 weeks?

and...I am already looking forward to the leeches
    Last edited by j-coop; 01-23-2014 at 18:15. Reason: wonky english

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I never had the chance to try out a DD hammock, but my guess is that neither the DD nor the WBBB will allow you to sleep on your stomach comfortably. "Flat lay" is relative; there is always a slight curvature. Only when sleeping on your back or on your side, you tend not to feel it that much, because your body easily conforms to a slight bend. Whenever I tried to lie on my stomach in any gathered end hammock, I had the feeling that my back is arched the wrong way. However, I'm not a stomach sleeper. I only like to lie on my stomach for a bit sometimes.

Many stomach sleepers find that they are able to sleep on their back in a hammock. In bed I sleep on my sides more than 70% of the time, but in the hammock I mostly sleep on my back. You cannot compare it to sleeping on your back in a bed.

However, if you find you have to sleep on your stomach, you probably would have to go with a bridge style hammock. If you're located in Europe, have a look at the Exped Ergo hammock. It's not exactly cheap, but I read that it will allow for stomach sleeping. The "Combi" comes with a tarp. Otherwise, have a look at the Warbonnet Ridgerunner, the JacksRBetter Bear Mountain Bridge and the Eureka Chrysalis. There are also many tutorials on DIY bridge hammocks, too.

By the way: it sounds as if you have never slept in a hammock before. If I were you, I would test sleeping in a hammock for a couple of nights before you go on your trip. It takes some getting used to. You don't want to find out that you are not able to sleep in a hammock on your trip.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Fiber de Cuban
    Insulation
    DIY or Wild.Logics
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Welcome aboard. Nice to see I'm not the only one up at 4am.
    I was gonna suggest a bridge hammock as well. I've never tried to lay on my stomach in a hammock, in my limited experience. Sounds difficult to even try. I know that side sleeping is possible. Other than that, bug net and double layer, what they said.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    By the way: it sounds as if you have never slept in a hammock before. If I were you, I would test sleeping in a hammock for a couple of nights before you go on your trip. It takes some getting used to. You don't want to find out that you are not able to sleep in a hammock on your trip.
    This.

Both the WBBB and DD should offer enough length and comfort for you to lie on your side in them. However, gathered-end hammocks don't work really well for sleeping on your stomach. "Flat lie" is a relative term when talking about GE. Bridge hammocks do actually provide a flat lie, but are more expensive to buy/complicated to DIY.

Also, at ~15º C/59º F, you're going to want something underneath you. I sleep like a furnace, and I need something under me at those temperatures, especially if there's a breeze. If you're going the double-layer route anyway, pick up a torso-sized piece of 1/8" CCF to slip between the layers--you won't need more'n that at those temps. Most folks find that they need insulation under 'em at ~70º F/21º C and below.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Tablecloth w/ fronkey net
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Sawadee Khrap J-coop,

I lived in Lampang (1.5 hr south of Chang Mai) for two years. For starters, YOU WILL NEED A BUG NET. You may want to soak everything in permethrin as well. Second, from Feb to March is a transition from Cold season to Hot. You need to make sure you have enough insulation for the first part of your trip. But, on the other hand, you may want to try to figure out which of the two hammocks breaths better for the second part. If you were going during the Rainy season, I would recommend that you get a full sized winter tarp and an under quilt protector.

Another thing you may want to look into is buying a Claytor hammock (http://www.mosquitohammock.com). Most of us here at HF try to by from local cottage venders. Considering they're in Thailand, you would get to buy "local" there.

I really hope you enjoy your time there (esp. the food!). I'm quietly jealous of you and your trip. I really miss living there.
    Last edited by Tuck; 01-24-2014 at 20:58. Reason: typo

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Thailand/Laos?

Is there a cobra-proof hammock available here on HF???

I'm thinking you ABSOLUTELY want something with an INTEGRATED bug net...not a net that sits in any way loosely over the hammock, but something rated to keep out angry ninja's and possible airstrikes from bugs the size of people.

I envy you the trip. Definitely take the advice of the poster who lived there. Soak your clothing and your hammock in permethrin before you go, make sure you've got some very effective repellents for your skin as well.

Not just disease...parasites of all kinds can be a risk as well.

Hei,
    thank you for your advice!

It is correct. I have never slept in a hammock before. I have however napped in one before I'm not new to camping though, I don't expect to get the comfort of a bed from a hammock.

I think I will go with the DD Frontline hammock as it has the bug net integrated and features a double layer (also cheap/easy to aquire). In comparison to the WBBB it seems that the bug net of the DD will keep any kind of creatures further away from me.

One thing that I have not really thought of before is the insulation part. I do have a Thermarest ProLite 4 in regular length, but I'm not sure if it will be overkill for the trip. Maybe as you suggested I should get a CCF mat instead.

Now my original thought was to take just a sleeping bag liner like such
    http://www.cocoon.at/eng/show.php?do...&prod=12&fab=0
    and possibly a small blanket like the Thermarest Tech Blanket.

But now you guys got me thinking and I am considering taking my Cumulus down quilt instead.
    http://www.sleepingbags-cumulus.com/...g-bags,85.html
    I just do not know if down will work with the high humidity.

Any suggestions for a setup?

Thermarest+Liner+Blanket
    CCF+Liner+Blanket

Thermarest+Liner+Quilt
    CCF+Liner+Quilt

Thermarest+Quilt
    CCF+Quilt

or something completely differnt..like a cheap/light synthetic sleeping bag.

Sorry, it is my first time in hot/tropic climate and I am just not sure what to expect.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast