DIY Apex UQ--any tips before I start?

So my Apex, Ripstop, shock cord, and cord locks are on the way and should arrive in time for me to knock out an UQ this weekend. I ordered both 2.5 and 5 oz Apex, but will start with the 2.5 and use it indoors for a while to see if there are any improvements needed before starting on the second UQ. Plan is to make it 44" x 72" for a full length UQ as I'm only 5' 6". Hammock is a DIY gathered end w/ whoopie slings to straps w/toggles.

I plan to follow Chris Muthig's pattern adjusted for my specs above, but was wondering if there is a need to cut the bottom layer of nylon a bit larger than the top layer (Chris's pattern calls for both to be the same size)? Should i taper the foot end or keep it 44" wide?

Any advise on those question or other tips are welcome to help me make this first attempt a success.

Thanks, and yes pics will follow unless I completely dork it up ...

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Yes make the bottom layer slightly bigger, no don't taper the quilt to the foot. I've been making a few Apex underquilts and finally have decided to try to do a differential cut outer layer. No matter what I have tried so far, the Apex gets a little compressed and i'm obsessed with the idea that I could get more warmth out of it. Just remember to measure twice, cut once and put some carefull thought into construction before you begin. Good luck and don't forget the pictures
    -Jon-

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Go with dangerous' advice and use a differential cut. When you pull it tight around around cylindrical object (you and the hammock) it will compress the insulation if the inner and outer layers are the same dimensions.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Plan, plan, plan, then plan some more. Think about everything.....try to minimize your mistakes in the planning process. It saves time and money (don't ask how I know). For an UQ, definitely go with a differential cut, I didn't go differential enough with my first one and have been kicking myself ever since. Sketch out plans on paper or use a computer program, having a print out while your cutting and marking fabric helps a lot. Did I say plan?
    My head is an animal

Thanks for the feedback. I'll plan on making the outside layer wider (possibly 2"?) and will test-fit it against the hammock and adjust accordingly before cutting.

Any recommendations on width/depth of dart to cut into the insulation layer? DIY Supply Gear has instructions on a 3-layer Insultex UQ that use anywhere from 2-6 inch wide dart(s) on each layer but don't discuss how deep to cut the dart.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    since you're using Apex, you shouldn't need to dart it unless you're going to use more than one layer. What I plan to do on my next quilt is basically sew the insulation to the liner then make the outside shell like a bathtub floor that cups the insulation so when it's hung on the hammock the insulation doesn't get compressed from the two shell layers pulling tight. I hope that makes sense, i'll if I can find the pic that inspired me.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE 20 / Phoenix20
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I would add twice the loft of the apex to the width of the outer layer. I think you'll have to dart the head / foot end of the outer layer to make up for the difference in width.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    since you're using Apex, you shouldn't need to dart it unless you're going to use more than one layer. What I plan to do on my next quilt is basically sew the insulation to the liner then make the outside shell like a bathtub floor that cups the insulation so when it's hung on the hammock the insulation doesn't get compressed from the two shell layers pulling tight. I hope that makes sense, i'll if I can find the pic that inspired me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwford View Post
    I would add twice the loft of the apex to the width of the outer layer. I think you'll have to dart the head / foot end of the outer layer to make up for the difference in width.
    Thanks, both make sense. I'm adding the width to the bottom layer to make the bathtub as mentioned by dangerous.

cwford, that probably puts me well under 2" for 2.5 oz APEX, thanks for giving me a starting point.

• + New Posts