DIY Stretch Side, WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti/flight jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    I have found that bringing my heels tucked up to my rear, then sliding my heels down and out to the footbox "plows" the gathered wrinkles or ridges out of the middle of the hammock. Much more comfortable for me after I have done this.
    +1 I do this same trick also.
    "Life is hard, it's harder when your stupid" John Wayne

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Think of it this way.
    There is the distance between trees.
    There's the height each strap is on the tree.
    And there's the taughtness of your ridgeline.
    You can play around with those 3 sets of variables until it gets comfortable.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    A lot of people have problems with the Blackbird initially. Please don't let this deter you from trying to get it right. It takes a while to find the right way to hang it. To make matters more difficult, there is no "perfect" way to hang it - you need to find your own way. Let me just tell you, once you find the sweet spot, there is no other hammock that is more comfortable.

Hanging the head end a bit lower than the foot end is a good start. However, don't overdo it, otherwise you might create new problems. A little bit goes a long way. I (5'4") hang it so that I can reach out with my right arm and just about touch the head end of the Blackbird. You will need to find out which distance works for you.

I found there are 2 important factors for me to get a pefect lay:

1. I have to hang the Blackbird a bit tighter than Brandon suggests in his video. I can still flex the ridgeline a bit, but not 90°.

2. I lay a *lot* more inline than in other hammocks. I can't say it exactly, but I would guess 20°-30° off the centerline. By the way, this is a big bonus for hanging a full-length underquilt. It's much easier to fit than with a more diagonal lay.

If I'm still getting a ridge under my legs, I just move my butt a bit. Usually it helps to move it towards the ridge (for me that would be to the right - I don't mean down). I believe that every hammock has a ridge, but if the ridge is under the butt or the torso, you don't really feel it.
    I agree with all of those helpful tips, most or all have worked for me at one time or another. And especially for that last sentence, most certainly with my huge HH Safari No Net. This is the non-bridge or gathered(GE) hammock I have found to have the least pressure problem. And the reason is that I can lay far enough to the RT, on the diagonal with my feet also to the RT, so that the ridge hits me mid LT thigh where I never even notice it. This might be the only GE I have tried that I can virtually guarantee no calf pressure, even without any of the solutions mentioned above. I also rarely have it with a 10 ft Claytor No Net or a 9 ft Speer, go figure. I often have it with with my HH Explorer UL but can usually find a spot to escape it.

But the problem with all(except Safari) of the above is: consistency, or lack of it. I have slept in a WBBB when every thing came together and had zero calf pressure, but most of the time no way. My Claytor, even with no RL, is almost always just fine in all comfort issues. But on 2 dif week long hikes in the Rockies, 1 night out of each trip, I had weird leg comfort issues making sleep impossible. 2nd time it happened I managed to get it solved, never did get it figured out 1st time. I can usually not have it or solve it in my HH Explorer UL/HHSS, but the other night, going for my record low, just could not do it, at least until I got a CCF leg pad in the hammock. Then finally, after a while, I noticed it was totally gone. Actually, I don't think I ever get it with my Speer either, but I do have too much knee extension discomfort, so 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen the other. Still need the above cures or side sleeping in fetal.

I tried a few other hammocks; all my gathered ends are 11' plus a Ridgerunner bridge hammock - and there is none that has the same flat and comfy lay. So do yourself a favour, and give it a couple of months to figure out how to hang it before you sell it. The Blackbird is well worth the effort!
    So for you the 11 ft WBBB/XLS is the flattest, most comfy, or the WBRR? I agree, exhaust all the tricks, it can be a super comfy. But the leg ridge can be a real problem. OTOH, I loaned it to my step son, zero leg pressure problems! Same hammock, we are about the same size, he is maybe an inch taller and a bit heavier.

I have found that bringing my heels tucked up to my rear, then sliding my heels down and out to the footbox "plows" the gathered wrinkles or ridges out of the middle of the hammock. Much more comfortable for me after I have done this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meekin View Post
    +1 I do this same trick also.
    Works for me every time, but I can rarely get it to last more than a few minutes.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    One thing you said that sticks with me is that your head is almost at the end of the hammock. Try sliding down in the hammock a bit. It took me two weeks to find the sweet spot but once i had it i'm dialed in. I use a pillow under my knees to prevent knee over extension and that eliminates the calf ridge issue for me. Good luck
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So for you the 11 ft WBBB/XLS is the flattest, most comfy, or the WBRR?
    Neither. I was talking about the original 10' Blackbird. I haven't tried the XLC, yet. I like the Ridgerunner, but I have had issues with shoulder squeeze (which I haven't had time to sort out due to no hanging opportunities at the moment). While bridge hammocks seem a lot easier to hang, I find that they don't conform to the body as well as "normal" hammocks. The Ridgerunner feels a lot more like my bed - while my Blackbird distributes the weight more evenly. Which is what I love most about sleeping in a hammock.

All my 11' hammocks (BIAS, DH, WL) have been easier to hang than the BB, and I can't remember having had issues with a calf ridge (maybe due to my short size?), but they simply don't provide the same flat lay. I have to say, though, that I'm using a full-length underquilt, which prevents me from going extremely diagonal. But this simply isn't an issue with the old Blackbird. After a night in an 11' hammock, I yearn for the lay of the Blackbird.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    But the problem with all(except Safari) of the above is: consistency, or lack of it. I have slept in a WBBB when every thing came together and had zero calf pressure, but most of the time no way. My Claytor, even with no RL, is almost always just fine in all comfort issues. But on 2 dif week long hikes in the Rockies, 1 night out of each trip, I had weird leg comfort issues making sleep impossible. 2nd time it happened I managed to get it solved, never did get it figured out 1st time. I can usually not have it or solve it in my HH Explorer UL/HHSS, but the other night, going for my record low, just could not do it, at least until I got a CCF leg pad in the hammock. Then finally, after a while, I noticed it was totally gone. Actually, I don't think I ever get it with my Speer either, but I do have too much knee extension discomfort, so 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen the other. Still need the above cures or side sleeping in fetal.
    Maybe you have not memorized the important checkpoints? Once I figured out how to hang my BB and lie in it, I haven't really had a problem to replicate the hang. For me that's always 2 factors: hanging the hammock itself, and finding the right spot in the hammock. I have zero calf pressure (but used to have in the beginning; I consider myself over-sensitive) and zero hyperextension of the knees. If your knees are over-extended, you might be in the wrong spot in the hammock. Or maybe this is a problem with a very diagonal lay? I lie very inline in the BB - maybe this helps with the flatness.

Images
    Back when I had a BB I found sleeping on my left side with my knees jammed into the calf ridge area is the only position I could sleep.
    Since I have moved on to other gathered end hammocks I have had no calf ridge pressure.
    Now all I worry about is do I need a bug net or not, top cover or not.

EDIT: A few tip I went thru to midigate the wbbb ridgepressure.
    Select a shorter tree distance13-15'max and hang the hammock with lots of sag.
    SRL should be limp. Strap angle 32-35 degrees.

With a simple overhand knot tie a loop in the SRL to shorten it by 3-4".
    This gives you the same effect as hanging the hammock with more sag.

Conclusion: Hang the hammock with more sag allow you to get more diaginal in the hammock
    moving your legs away from the ridge pressure area down the center of the hammock.

IMO, the reason the wbbb has more calfridge pressure than any other gatherend is the placement of the footbox.
    The footbox pretty much sets where your legs go which is a very shallow diaginal lay.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-21-2014 at 11:26.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Neither. I was talking about the original 10' Blackbird. I haven't tried the XLC, yet.
    Oh, OK, I saw 11 ft hammocks mentioned and I guess I thought that included your WBBB.

I like the Ridgerunner, but I have had issues with shoulder squeeze (which I haven't had time to sort out due to no hanging opportunities at the moment).
    Isn't it so funny how all of this works differently for dif individuals? Which is why any noob's question about "hey, which hammock is most comfy" is really not going to get them much useful info. For me, the WBRR provides so much shoulder room it is hard to imagine having shoulder squeeze. And I am still fine with my JRBs which for sure have less shoulder room, but enough for me. And I bet I am bigger than you! Different folks get different results.

While bridge hammocks seem a lot easier to hang, I find that they don't conform to the body as well as "normal" hammocks. The Ridgerunner feels a lot more like my bed - while my Blackbird distributes the weight more evenly. Which is what I love most about sleeping in a hammock.
    I know what you mean about that and have thought maybe because of that I would not be as comfy as in my GEs which seem to conform to each part of my body better. Still, I have had some great sleeps in my bridge hammocks, and never come close to any leg pressure or knee extension or side twist, and they are so much easier to insulate with quilts or pads. So that question( which is "better") is still to be determined for me.

All my 11' hammocks (BIAS, DH, WL) have been easier to hang than the BB, and I can't remember having had issues with a calf ridge (maybe due to my short size?), but they simply don't provide the same flat lay. I have to say, though, that I'm using a full-length underquilt, which prevents me from going extremely diagonal. But this simply isn't an issue with the old Blackbird. After a night in an 11' hammock, I yearn for the lay of the Blackbird.
    Fascinating take on it!

Maybe you have not memorized the important checkpoints?
    Well, maybe, but I sort of doubt it. I know all the different tricks to try and surely have tried them in the WBBB and my other non-bridge hammocks. And once in a while it all comes together pretty well, with great overall comfort (all ways) even including no calf pressure(rare). I guess I must not know exactly which trick it is that worked when it does, because there are several different variables.

Once I figured out how to hang my BB and lie in it, I haven't really had a problem to replicate the hang. For me that's always 2 factors: hanging the hammock itself, and finding the right spot in the hammock. I have zero calf pressure (but used to have in the beginning; I consider myself over-sensitive) and zero hyper-extension of the knees. If your knees are over-extended, you might be in the wrong spot in the hammock.
    I don't usually have knee hyper-extension with the WBBB, or any other problem, except calf pressure. I surely do experiment with all kinds of positions trying to find the sweet spot, up/down, lt/rt. Occasionally I do find it, but repeating it can be a challenge. I guess that is another advantage for me with the bridges, it doesn't much matter where I am laying either head to toe or left to right, I'm still not going to have any calf pressure unless I throw a leg over the side.

Or maybe this is a problem with a very diagonal lay? I lie very inline in the BB - maybe this helps with the flatness.
    I have found that to be the case with my HH, I do better with a more midline position. I'll try to pay more attention to that in the WBBB. Seems like most people say "you need MORE diagonal", but maybe not.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-22-2014 at 11:10.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    another +1 on this. Sometimes as you move to your angled lay, or when you get into the hammock, some extra material is a tiny bit gathered under your butt....but that tiny bit ends up hell has it moves down to a tighter gather under your legs, making a ridge. Spread it out, don't be afraid to wiggle your butt and use your heels to get that material really spread out, and also that you are not to far to one side or the other of the hammock. Your butt should be right in the center, then angle the body, then start the wiggle and smoothing out process.

Then there is the fact that 10' hammocks for most of us, just doesn't cut it.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    After a couple years of not worrying about hang details too much (I sleep well on the trail) I actually measured my hang angles when set up well. What worked for me was 40 degree at the foot end, 30 at the head, ridge line a bit tighter than suggested for my WBBB.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Pad and blankets
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
    After a couple years of not worrying about hang details too much (I sleep well on the trail) I actually measured my hang angles when set up well. What worked for me was 40 degree at the foot end, 30 at the head, ridge line a bit tighter than suggested for my WBBB.
    After reading 300 pages, I got the gist of the hang. My first hang with my WBBBxlc double layer, I hung it perfect my first try.
    I settled in my hammock, and my wife woke me 6 hrs later. No Problems. I was hooked.
    The 2nd hang was only ok, but I slept the night thru.
    Now I hang a little higher, and a little closer to the tree near my feet, and maybe a little tighter... When I get it right, It can't be beat.
    My wife has a Big Agnus tent that she and our 18 yr. old blind Dog share. When the dog goes to dog heaven, my wife is going to a WBBB.
    She has discovered it can be very comfortable.
    I know this post is very belated, but I'm still reading all the post... Great Forum.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast