Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

HHSS tricks+WBCSUQ =Hybrid Yeti?

So, I'm in the process of removing 2 or 3 layers of Climashield from my WB torso length UQ, due to the warm weather, when I remember something I had wanted to try. Now all I need are some sub-zero temps for testing!

There have been many experiments done around here, adding various items to the HHSS undercover to boost the warmth of the basic pad. But I finally remembered to try this with the original WBUQ. As you can see from this pic, there is plenty or room to add more insulation than it originally came with. Picture #1 shows how easy it can be to add or remove insulation, picture #2 shows the UQ layed out beside my faithful Patagonia 9 oz down vest. This vest, in addition to it's normal use of providing mucho warmth while sitting around cold camps, has provided major warmth boosts while trying to get by in my Pea Pod without a TQ, or added to the bottom of my Pea Pod or SS for major boosts in warmth. Now to try it in my WBUQ.

Picture #3 is the approximate loft of all 4 layers of CS provided by Brandon with the UQ.
    Picture #4 shows the down vest added to the UQ.
    #5 shows approximate loft after addition of vest. ( you can barely see the green ruler laying on top of the guilt where it crosses the red yard stick)
    #6 and #7 is me laying in the BB hammock with UQ snugged nice and tight against my back and butt, trying to show the original and additional layers, and starting to get very warm very quick, as it is only about 65*F plus wind.
    There is some serious and major loft under my butt and back, I'm here to tell 'Ya!

Now realistically, this has little practical application for me. Considering that Cannibal tested this UQ at about Zero or even a bit colder without any additional insulation needed. Is that right, Cannibal? Although, Cannibal is a confessed furnace, sort of like Neo. Also, my son used it last fall, on his first night ever in a hammock, mid-20s and toasty warm, with just 3 layers of CS installed. So the likelihood of me needing to add insulation to the 4 layers is slight. Unless I decide to join Shug and Kwapke on a Minnesota mid Jan hang!

But, practically speaking, I can see some uses for this approach. For ex: If I am hiking some where cool enough to maybe need a jacket at night, and my TQ is plenty warm enough without the jacket needed, I can leave an extra layer out of the WBUQ and add the jacket if needed when I go to bed. Or, if I am skimping on bottom layers, but a way unseasonable cold snap comes through, I can throw a jacket in down there if my back is cold. Or, just like with the SS or Pea Pod approaches, any extra insulation ( even dry leaves?) not being slept in could be added in an unexpected situation.

I'm thinking my 14 oz PG parka might work particularly well. Though not nearly as lofty as my down vest, it's WPB shell might serve well down there to help block some wind or moisture if I didn't have a DriDucks poncho rigged as UC or some other UC.

There are so many ways to skin the cold cat. But I love this CS torso UQ with it's ability to ad or subtract insulation, and if Brandon still made them, I would buy another.

There may be some reason why this won't work well in the real world, but I can't figure out what they would be right now. Especially if adding down which would tend to loft up towards the PG layers. Also, if warm enough to justify a jacket, I'm thinking just hiking with one layer in the UQ, and throwing in my jacket or extra whatever might just get me by 3/4 of the year down here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-18-2009 at 22:01.

I took a different tack with mine. I semi-permanantly quilt-looped two layers of climashield combat in place in mine, weighs 15 ounces. I had some polarguard 3-D that was IIRC 0.75in thick, I quilt-looped two layers of that together to add for winter use. That way I only have to edge sew one thick layer in for winter use. I tried just laying that thick layer of 3D without thread lacing the edge in place and it wouldn't stay in place and I think it sagged enough to reduce it's effectiveness as insulation. I'm afraid adding a garment might do the same thing. I agree with you that Brandon's synthetic UQ is one awesome piece of kit. The downside of synthetic insulation is loss of loft, with this thing, you can easily replace all but the innermost layer of insulation at will. Truly elegant.

Images
    good idea, never thought of throwing a jacket in there

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    I took a different tack with mine. I semi-permanantly quilt-looped two layers of climashield combat in place in mine, weighs 15 ounces. I had some polarguard 3-D that was IIRC 0.75in thick, I quilt-looped two layers of that together to add for winter use. That way I only have to edge sew one thick layer in for winter use. I tried just laying that thick layer of 3D without thread lacing the edge in place and it wouldn't stay in place and I think it sagged enough to reduce it's effectiveness as insulation. I'm afraid adding a garment might do the same thing. I agree with you that Brandon's synthetic UQ is one awesome piece of kit. The downside of synthetic insulation is loss of loft, with this thing, you can easily replace all but the innermost layer of insulation at will. Truly elegant.
    Yes, I was also worried about sag pulling things away, causing a cold gap. (Or actually, just not being very effective as a booster. Since it won't actually cause the quilted in CS to sag away from your back- there just might be a space between the original and the added insulation) But, down should have a tendency to loft upwards, filling the gap, assuming it is thick enough to fill the space.

But, I think you can see from these pics, the space is pretty well filled, with me in the hammock or out. ( pic 6 and 7 I am in the hammock-- well, pretty obvious in pic 7)

Now, if I remove CS layers, and throw in a jacket/vest that is not very thick, I think there might be a problem. IOW, if the top layers of CS are only half as thick as the ones in the pic, will the down vest ( or whatever else I might be using) fluff up enough to fill the space? Maybe not. But I will play around with that later. ( Also, a heavy for the thickness fleece jacket might cause too much of a gap. But, I don't know for sure). Regardless, this CS WBUQ is one of my very coolest ( or should I say "warmest") pieces of gear.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-18-2009 at 17:57.

I agree with your assessment of Brandon's synthetic UQ, I hope he starts making them again. Cannibal opined that he didn't think that UQ (or a Yeti, I would assume, since it has the same suspension) would work with a Hennessy. I've not had any problem getting my left shoulder "snapped in" by grabbing the shockcord through the hammock fabric. If you flop like a fish it is possible to get your right leg on top of the shock cord, when you do you get a cold butt pretty quick. The fix is as simple as lifting your leg off the cord.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I agree with your assessment of Brandon's synthetic UQ, I hope he starts making them again. Cannibal opined that he didn't think that UQ (or a Yeti, I would assume, since it has the same suspension) would work with a Hennessy. I've not had any problem getting my left shoulder "snapped in" by grabbing the shockcord through the hammock fabric. If you flop like a fish it is possible to get your right leg on top of the shock cord, when you do you get a cold butt pretty quick. The fix is as simple as lifting your leg off the cord.
    I didn't think to try the flopping like a fish method. My biggest problem was getting it secured over my shoulder. You're gonna have to show me your technique sometime.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I didn't think to try the flopping like a fish method. My biggest problem was getting it secured over my shoulder. You're gonna have to show me your technique sometime.
    No problem, I wish I could have made Trail Days. Grabbing that shockcord by your left shoulder by pinching it through the hammock fabric hasn't posed a problem for me. YMMV. Billybob said the hammock sliding up towards his head was a problem for him, you should be able to just grab the bottom edge of the UQ through the hennessy slit. This will all be a moot point for me in the future when I install the Warbonnet UQ on a proper hammock.

Billybob's idea on adding the jacket to the WBSUQ reminded me of pictures I remember seeing of the Garlington Insulator (?). Most of use us a Hefty compactor bag as a pack liner, just fill it with dry leaves and add it to the bottom of the UQ for an unexpectedly cold night on a hike. Someone here has most likely already thought of and likely done this.

Images
    No problem, I wish I could have made Trail Days. Grabbing that shockcord by your left shoulder by pinching it through the hammock fabric hasn't posed a problem for me. YMMV. Billybob said the hammock sliding up towards his head was a problem for him, you should be able to just grab the bottom edge of the UQ through the hennessy slit. This will all be a moot point for me in the future when I install the Warbonnet UQ on a proper hammock.
    You know, I have never tried this UQ on my HH, because I figured it would be too difficult to adjust. However, when in the BB, though I can easily adjust by reaching out the left thru the zip, I often test the "snug" factor by grabbing the UQ sides thru the hammock fabric "wall" on the right side. Then I grab on the left side also and pull up on both sides, to see if it is snug against my back or not ( it almost always is snug, if the suspension is even reasonably tight).

But, I'm not sure how easy it would be to move the quilt up or down while gripping it thru the hammock fabric. I'll give it a try.

what does HHSS and WBCSUQ mean?
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast