Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark Rainfly XL
    Images

VA Triple Crown this Week, need input.

Well after recently graduating I have 3 weeks of free do anything time. I want to get my first multiple night/multiple site hike done.

My plan is to do the VA Triple Crown: Dragon's Tooth > McAfee's Knob > Tinker Cliffs. From what I've read it would be ~25 miles. I plan on doing one night at each peak to see both sunrise and sunset at each peak. I haven't looked into the finer details yet but I intend to plan everything out tomorrow. My plan is to start the hike on either Tuesday(5/19) or Wednesday(5/20). However if there are other people interested maybe I'll do it starting Friday(5/21).

Two questions that come to mind right off the bat:

1. Which direction would be best if it matters at all.
      DT > MK > TC
      or
      TC > MK >DT
    2. Where is the best place to leave my car?
      Park at the beginning and get a ride/hitchhike/shuttle back to my car.
      or
      Park at the end and have someone give me a ride/hitchhike/shuttle to the beginning of the hike.

Any input or past experience with doing this hike would be great. Thanks in advance!

-Bern

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark Rainfly XL
    Images
    Here's a rough map of the trail:

http://www.toposhare.org/togmap?permalink=1206

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    The parking lot at the Dragon's Tooth trailhead is first rate, as far as parking lots go. That trail takes you up to the AT, where you would turn right (South) to hit Dragon's Tooth a mile or two down the trail. You'd have to turn around to head north to McAfee, but it's not much of a backtrack. That way you get to experience the metal rungs and the cliffside shuffle from both directions. I've never parked along the Andy Lanye Trail, but it's newish, so I think parking should be OK at that end, too. If you want to continue on the AT to Daleville, there is plenty of parking there too at a Park and Ride and at the shopping center with the outfitters. I wish I had the time to hang with you. Work stinks, enjoy every minute of not having to do it!

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark Rainfly XL
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    I wish I had the time to hang with you. Work stinks, enjoy every minute of not having to do it!
    I plan on it!

Anyways I've decided to do the Tinker Cliffs > McAfee's Knob > Dragon's Tooth route. Tinker Cliffs is the only one I haven't done before so I think it'd be nice to end on a somewhat familiar note. So the plan:

Day 1: Andy Layne Trail > AT to Tinker Cliffs
    Day 2: AT from Tinker Cliffs to McAfee's Knob
    Day 3: AT from McAfee's Knob to Dragon's Tooth
    Day 4: Short hike out to Parking

So as far as meals that adds up to 3 Lunches/Dinners/Breakfasts along with snacks and stuff. Any recommendations for food outside the normal Lipton Pasta Side/Ramen etc. This is my first multi-day hike so I'm a bit nervous.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    You could stash a bike somewhere in the woods at the Dragon's parking area and have a pretty sweet 10 or 11 mile mostly downhill valley ride back to your car. It'd be pretty cool to close the loop without outside help.

I love eggs on the trail, especially migas. Crumble up a few corn tortillas and fry them in a little oil for a minute. Then add some tomato, onion, avocado, or whatever else you like. Last add a few eggs, which I usually keep raw and pre-broken in double ziploc. Add some spice. It's really tasty and any weight you're carrying for that meal becomes useful energy. I've never met anyone who didn't like it.

• + New Posts