Warbonnet Blackbird Double Lyr 1.1
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    CCF 1/4" and 1/8"
    Suspension
    Whoopie!

Question Foam insulation in Blackbird vs. Ridgerunner

I'm choosing my hammock for the AT (I'm about 5'6" and light) and am trying to figure out the comfort difference between the Blackbird and Ridgerunner (Note that I'd be double layering for insulation purposes). I was thinking that the ridgerunner may keep my foam/ mini-cell foam from bending uncomfortably. Do yall have any input on using foam in either of these models? How was your experience?

I wanted to use the foam for insulation because it's cheaper than other insulation and I'm nearing the end of the amount of money I want to spend.

Also, if you have anything else to say regarding the Blackbird or Ridgerunner or insulation in general I'd love to hear it!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    If you sleep on your stomach, especially, or on either side, the Ridgerunner is likely more comfortable than the Blackbird, because you lay flatter in the RR. I prefer my RR for this reason, and also because I have a better "view" just lying on my back in this hammock.

In both hammocks, I've used a pad for bottom insulation with no problems (it helps that both are DL hammocks). Certainly the foam will curl around your sides in the RR -- as if you were carried in cloth slung between two rigid side poles, but I don't see why that would be uncomfortable.

Eventually, an underquilt may be the better way to go, at least for non-summer hanging.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    CCF 1/4" and 1/8"
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. I've been looking at other brands and most of them seem to really "banana" the sleeper and I figured it was worth the investment to get a comfortable hammock considering I will be spending a lot of time in the thing over the next 5 or so months.

Hammock
    Diy bridge
    Images
    I have slept in a Ridgerunner with Z-rest (egg crate style foam pad) it worked great. temps down to 45 did not penetrate. The geometry of the bridge allows the pad to bend on only one axis, similar to wrapping a flat piece of paper around the core of a paper towel roll: very little stress on the pad.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Yes, ceiliazul, that's a good description.

Successisrelative, we all sleep differently; it may help to try a night or even an hour or so in each hammock, to see which you prefer. There might be people near you who can let you try out their hammock, or a group hang nearby where you can see and try lots of different options.

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Not sure it this will help you or not ...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...nner+blackbird

Images
    So is your plan to use a pad for back warmth, rather than an UQ?

If so, for me it is a no brainer: any bridge hammock works much better with pads than any non-bridge I have tried. In fact, it works good enough with pads to often tempt me to use them instead of UQs. Them again, bridge hammocks tend to work great wit UQs also, IOW they are extra easy to insulate.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    CCF 1/4" and 1/8"
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    1csleptonkayak that was really helpful, though I now feel more undecided than ever. Haha.

ChacMool, that's a great suggestion. I'll see if I can find a group hang in my area. I am running against the clock at this point though. The latest I want to start is mid-March (though I really want to start in early March) so I need to make a decision in time to have the hammock made and test it/ learn to set it up relatively quickly by then.

Billybob58, yes i wanted to just pack a pad for insulation. I have a couple of concerns regarding that though. First is warmth- I was thinking I would get two pads and then send home the thicker one once the weather warms and keep the thinner. Second is bulk. I'm carrying those on an Osprey Talon 44 (it's actually 42lt since it's S/M) and I'm worried about rain protection. I was thinking I would buy a CCF or MF which seem to be nearly waterproof in bulk to cut to size and either jump up in pack cover size or cover the pad with something else.

Images
    In general, you'll feel the pad alot less in the RR vs an end gathered, like mentioned above, it only bends in mainly one direction so it doesn't buckle on the sides like it will in an end gathered.

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    If you're looking to shave some weight, a torso length piece of reflectix is all I need in my RidgeRunner from about 45*-65*F. You'll need to swap out to something more substantial when temps get too much lower than that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast