Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

WBRR Optimal/Max tree distances?

Not sure if this should be asked here or in the Suspension subforum, but:
    What is considered the OPTIMAL distance between trees for the WBRR? What is the MAX distance that anyone has tried?
    I am making my ridgline to use with my tarp, and plan to make it a continuous line, so want to make sure that I make it long enough to span the max distance usable (I know there are alot of variables, including tree sizes...but I do not plan on hanging in a Sequoia/Redwood forest....though, you never know :-)

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Send a PM to BillyBob58. He has probably tested the maximum distance and could be of some help to you. My backyard setup is close to 18' and it works.

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Max distance could be quite a span, but other than tarp concerns, the minimum distance is very crucial...if the trees are too close, you will have a hard time getting a good lay on the RR. Not saying that there aren't means to make sure the lay is comfortable, but the minimum distance can kind of be a pain with the RR.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I have hung at as much as 22ft between anchor points with a RR and could think I could still be as comfy with a bit more footage. Just remember,,the longer the span,,the higher up the tree you need to go for your suggested angles to hang at. the closer,,,the lower. But have not had any problems at that distance.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I can go to up to 20' with the tarp suspension I have but have to remember that until I make a couple of dog bones for extending the reach of my whoopies, I'm limited to about 18' for the hammock...

Then there's the techniques I have had to employ to get the tree straps around larger trees than I can hug and far enough up the trees so I'm not a ground dweller... but that's another whole comedy routine..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriss View Post
    Send a PM to BillyBob58. He has probably tested the maximum distance and could be of some help to you. My backyard setup is close to 18' and it works.
    Nope, not me, not enough experience except I can tell you that using it on a Vario stand is very tough because it needs more distance by several feet than most hammocks. Acer might have your best info other than WBG/Brandon.

Quote Originally Posted by priller View Post
    Max distance could be quite a span, but other than tarp concerns, the minimum distance is very crucial...if the trees are too close, you will have a hard time getting a good lay on the RR. Not saying that there aren't means to make sure the lay is comfortable, but the minimum distance can kind of be a pain with the RR.
    Yep, not having enough distance is a far more likely problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    I have hung at as much as 22ft between anchor points with a RR and could think I could still be as comfy with a bit more footage. Just remember,,the longer the span,,the higher up the tree you need to go for your suggested angles to hang at. the closer,,,the lower. But have not had any problems at that distance.
    Yep, the more distance the higher it must be connected to the trees.

Hammock
    Diy bridge
    Images
    as others have said, the max is limited only by how high on the trees you can reach.

Minimum from the factory is ~13.5 ft, but the thread below talks about making that a bit shorter. (shortening spreader triangle has other effects such as more tension on bar and the bed tips easier)

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=69030

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner; Chameleon
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks to the mod for moving this to the appropriate subforum.
    And, thanks to all for the replies. I have already found with the RR, that the min distance is more problematic than the max. I've toyed with the idea of making the triangles smaller, but haven't yet tried it. I def. do not want it more tippy, and don't want to bend the spreader bars (I have the smaller version, I believe). My tarp is to be delivered today, so I'll be playing with it, and configuring my set up. Thanks again to all who have replied and had suggestions.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctaD View Post
    Thanks to the mod for moving this to the appropriate subforum.
    And, thanks to all for the replies. I have already found with the RR, that the min distance is more problematic than the max. I've toyed with the idea of making the triangles smaller, but haven't yet tried it. I def. do not want it more tippy, and don't want to bend the spreader bars (I have the smaller version, I believe). My tarp is to be delivered today, so I'll be playing with it, and configuring my set up. Thanks again to all who have replied and had suggestions.
    If your going to shorten the dogbones,,go a inch at a time. and test how you like the feel and the tippiness you will incur at some point. Also be sure to take out the 4" spreader bar piece on the head end or you will break the spreader bar. I think I now have my dog bones at 34" each but have tested down to 27-28 inches and its very unstable for me at the shorter distances.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    BW webbing
    I have hung my RR inside my shop as an extra bedroom or when contemplating the next motorcycle camping trip. That haing is 24ft but to get a good lay I have to go pretty high up the I-beams.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast