Hammock
    DH Sparrow/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Msc
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetles
    I'm thinking if you go tarp "door" management with shock cord mitten hooks and cord locks wrapping them around the tree the tarp is secured to that the beak would become more of a protrusion that would adequately house the tip of the triangle. I fully intend to explore this option.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    The Thunderfly will work pretty well with the RR
    Just saw a short YouTube video of this one, not with the RR though unfortunately. Do the wings come setup with shock cord and cord locks to fold them back when not deployed?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    A tarp with doors, is not a "minimalist" tarp. A "Hex" would be the smallest to keep the sprinkles off. The Thunderfly, would be a step up offering a "bit" more protection.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    Just saw a short YouTube video of this one, not with the RR though unfortunately. Do the wings come setup with shock cord and cord locks to fold them back when not deployed?
    It comes with a pair of micro carabiners, you can easily use normal guyline. Shockcord and mitten hook could be used as well though, but we are not including it.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    Pretty sure you have to supply your own shockcord, etc for your door management system. The YouTube video shows one way to do it, bit there are other ways to set it up as well.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    A tarp with doors, is not a "minimalist" tarp. A "Hex" would be the smallest to keep the sprinkles off. The Thunderfly, would be a step up offering a "bit" more protection.
    Most people do not find a hex to have adequate end coverage over the Ridgerunner, so the Cloudburst and Superfly are the most common 2 options people go with.

The Thunderfly will have alot more end protection than a standard Hex, I'd say the end coverage the TF offers would be equivalent to what you'd get with a 14'-15' long hex if not more

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    Most people do not find a hex to have adequate end coverage over the Ridgerunner, so the Cloudburst and Superfly are the most common 2 options people go with.

The Thunderfly will have alot more end protection than a standard Hex, I'd say the end coverage the TF offers would be equivalent to what you'd get with a 14'-15' long hex if not more
    I really like your Thunderfly design. It's pretty innovative. I think a 132' ridge is "just" long enough. It would be nice to have a 144' option too.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    My Gossamer Gear Spinn Twin is about as minimalist as I want to go with my ridgerunner. If there is any chance of "sideways rain" then my cloudburst gets in the pack.
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls

Good fair weather tarp for RidgeRunner

I mainly camp in Arizona for just a couple days at a time and am comfortable with using a minimal tarp if it looks like the weather will be pretty good. I got a custom tarp from Simply Light Designs with dimensions/tie outs that provides coverage to match the tapering shape of the Ridge Runner. I love it. It's not Cuben Fiber but it comes in at around 11 oz I think. Just what I wanted. The guy at SLD did a great job, very fast.
    I loved hammocking in a gathered end, but the RidgeRunner has taken it to a much higher level.
    Now that I have top/bottom quilts and tarp to best fit the RidgeRunner's dimensions, I've got the whole package. I also use my hiking poles instead of the spreader bars, and go without a bugnet so the RR weight is kept at a minimum. I'd say that the satisfaction "increase" I get from the RR compared with gathered end hammocks is about as great as the gathered end hammock improvement over tent camping. Yes!

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / Exped
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    I'd say that the satisfaction "increase" I get from the RR compared with gathered end hammocks is about as great as the gathered end hammock improvement over tent camping. Yes!
    That's a significant improvement! I just picked up an RR a few weeks ago and was able to take it out last weekend. Can't wait to slowly upgrade and switch out components like the tarp and UQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast