DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Can I use Spectra around a tree for tarp?

So, I just took delivery on my MacCat SpinnUL tarp! Being the gram weanie that I am, I'm looking for something equally lightweight to string it up with.

Let me say right here that although I'm an experienced, lightweight backpacker, I'm a complete newb to hammocking, so don't be shy about telling me that I'm way off base here.

I completely understand the need for polyester straps to hold up the weight & forces involved with a hammock, but, for a tarp, I'm wondering if bear bag hanging line is appropriate? Ron at MountainLaurelDesigns sells "Super Glide," a 2mm Spectra line for bear bagging that is flat and slick so as not to harm tree branches. It is rated at 975 lbs strength and weighs only 1.2 oz for 50 feet.

I'm thinking the strength is OK but, I'm concerned about the slickness. In a bear bag application, there is no force trying to move the line laterally along a limb, but will this slide down a trunk? do I need straps for the tree even for my tarp?

Anyone tried something like this or have any other lightweight solution?

Images
    I think most people use cord and not webbing for their tarps. If you are a true gram weenie, you can probably find something even lighter than the spectra cord. 975 lbf breaking strength is overkill for a tarp. I used to use mason line which I believe is about 100 lbf strength. I did not like it because it would always get caught on something. I now use Lash-It which is really slick. I think slick is desirable for the tarp ridgeline. Never had a problem with it sliding down.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I use Kelty Triptease or similar for guy lines and put two long bits of regular ol' poly rope on the ridgeline tie outs. I'd try mason line but it tangles like crazy on me and I hate knot picking.

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    I've now started using this as my ridgeline. Tied from tree to tree, then a short piece from the tarp tie out to a prussic knot on the ridgeline. Haven't tried it out in the rain or heavy wind, but I think it will hold up well.

http://www.rei.com/product/782824

Using the Kelty Triptease for guy lines to the ground hog stakes.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Thanks, good to know I don't need heavy webbing.

I was afraid of harming the tree but the more I think about it, a tarp line is pretty much a static load. Not at all like hoisting up a bear bag over a limb.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Thanks, good to know I don't need heavy webbing.

I was afraid of harming the tree but the more I think about it, a tarp line is pretty much a static load. Not at all like hoisting up a bear bag over a limb.
    I use the orange Spectra cord from Gossamer Gear. A pair of small Fig-9 cord locks, and the tarp sets up in no time. I use the same lines for the ground tie-outs, with the tiny cord locks I got from backpackinglight several years ago. That way I can lengthen or shorten as needed.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Can I use Spectra around a tree for tarp?

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    A pair of small Fig-9 cord locks, and the tarp sets up in no time. I use the same lines for the ground tie-outs, with the tiny cord locks I got from backpackinglight several years ago. That way I can lengthen or shorten as needed.
    I already have the Figure 9's and the BPL spectra (thin stuff) and their tiny cam locks that I've been using for my tent setups.

I've been a member of BPL almost from their start, hence my gram weanie tendencies.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I already have the Figure 9's and the BPL spectra (thin stuff) and their tiny cam locks that I've been using for my tent setups.
    I've been using 2mm Spectra line and cam (line) locs with no problem, usually throwing a couple of loops around the tree. I suggest getting a couple of micro carabiners and use them on tree ends of the line with a loop, the same as hammock tree webbing straps are used. These might be even faster than figure 9's, but either way it makes for a very fast setup.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    I use the gossamer gear cord (which is similar to what fulminated uses) for tarp lines. I like something that will hold a knot.

For bear bagging I use mason line. I doesn't hurt the tree, is strong enough, and slides well. It gets hashed after a while but it's cheap so I don't mind replacing it regularly.

• + New Posts