MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Calendar marked. Now time to stay convincing the wife not to back out.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Doe Lake was considered as far back as FH2 because the number of people exceeded Buck Lake's capacity even in the first year. This year was the first time the ranger said anything. We like Buck Lake's primitive character, the fact that one could hang close-in or far-out and the proximity to the Florida Trail. And it's cheap at $50/night. Doe Lake is $150/night but we decided to give it a try because their capacity is 250 (Buck Lake's is 50), there's still plenty of trees to tie together, plenty of parking, a community space and it has modern plumbing. That last element alone makes it more friendly for families and vendors. We had a record number of female hangers this year and we want them to come and be happy. And it gives us plenty of room to grow.

Having said all that, if the consensus is to stay with Buck Lake then we stay with Buck Lake and we'll make it work.

Here's some links if you'd like to check it out.

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Do...abIndex=Search

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ocala...40231&actid=33

http://www.fs.usda.gov/photogallery/...position=Promo

http://www.campingroadtrip.com/campg...ecreation-area

Look for a planning thread for FHV to go up around the first of August.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Official 4th Annual Florida Hang Photo and Trip Report January 16-21, 2014

I like the looks of Doe Lake. Not that I want to hang out indoors, but it is nice that there is shelter in case of a big thunderstorm.

The possibility of half of us being run off by a ranger at Buck Lake says we have to switch gears.

As to having a kitchen, well that will stay clean as far as I'm concerned. You folks have completely converted me from dehydrated food in a beer can pot over a 1 ounce alcohol stove, to Dutch ovens
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Doe Lake is very hard to book over a holiday weekend. I was shocked to discover it was available when we got home on Tuesday and grabbed it thinking worse case, we could cancel the reservation later if we had to.

I know of several folks who left camp to go for a shower run at Alexander Springs or Juniper Springs where they paid a fee to enter the area (5.50 per person at Alexander Springs).

I think Doe Lake will be the perfect place to hold FHV. Our growth rate from year to year has been about 15-20% per year consistently. Doe Lake can accommodate that.

There is the kitchen mess hall area, which while it might not be used much, provides a place to continue socializing in the event of a rain shower.
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Gumbo, The speed at which you operate is absolutely astounding. The smoke isn't completely washed out of my jacket yet and you have already made donations and booked Doe Lake for our wonderfully large group next year.

I'm so glad your here to help make all the cogs run smoothly and together. You are doing such a fantastic job that blueskycat is already thinking of ways she can help with something. We have been talking about what to offer to the kids raffle.

Already looking forward to starting a new tradition at Doe Lake for the Annual Florida Hang.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    I just made two donations totaling 250.00 to the Florida Trail Association and to the Friends of Florida State Parks on behalf of Florida Hammock Hangers (and their visiting friends from out of state). It is my continued hope that these actions will increase awareness about hammock camping in Florida State Parks and support the trail system that allows so many to enjoy the natural beauty of Florida.
    As a FTA chapter officer let me extend thanks on behalf of the staff and volunteers. Like many other businesses/organizations the FTA is having a difficult time financially. The staff continues to be cut and we have to do more with less. Thanks to everyone that made this donation possible.

Likewise, as someone who's tried to stay at the forefront of the issues concerning hammock usage within our State park system I'll be sure to point this out to our State leaders. Not only are we good people but we're good stewards of our natural resources and support those entrusted to care for them.

I was just talking with someone at lunch today about the capacity at Buck Lake. I hate to see us move but it's obvious it's necessary and I think it'll open a lot of options for us. The building looks very nice and while we may not use it much it would provide a comfortable dining and even an excellent education area. Looking forward to next year. Still kills me that I missed it.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Had the feeling that we had just about reached our limits at Buck Lake. Thank you Gumbo for locking in the Doe Lake site for FHV. It looks fantastic and with all the extra amenities... what else could we ask for. Showers! Indoor kitchen! Indoor fireplace or outdoor fire ring! Ice machine! Might be, no will be worth the extra cost. I'll be upping my donation just for a shower. Might be able to get others to chip in for my shower. Cakes got away without even a hug. Makes me wonder.

I can see most of us still bringing most of what we have been in the past with the exception of the EZup's ,until we get a feel for the new digs.

Welcome to the madness blueskycat. It was a pleasure seeing you tough it out through one of the coldest nights. Glad that you found that you could spend time in a hammock. One at a time, that's how we work. Your offer to help with the hanglets, a new word offered up by Timberrr, is greatly appreciated. I would also like to thank Vanguard for his time working with the kids, young and old, in making survival bracelets. Anyone that would like to join in with something for the hanglets, PM me. It's a beautiful thing seeing kids out in the woods without electronics playing the way they should.

While I'm rambling I would also like to say that many were missed this year. Jaxhiker, Islander, Mr. Tattoo, Flackfizer & Bearfinder, edhess. Life does throw sticks in the spokes of the wheel of life but we hope you will make it for FHV.

Not finished yet. Thank you to all of the folks that traveled for days or miles to join us in this little experiment in friendship based on nothing other than sleeping in a hammock. Weird, isn't it? I've gained what I feel are friends for life off of an extended weekend. But then I already know that hammocks do that to people.

I'm done.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Doe Lake it is! We will be there. It's wonderful that our group has grown so. Thanks Gumbo and Timberrr for making this happen!! Missed everyone so much this year!!

- Duffy
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Speaking for Georgia Girl and myself, the new venue sounds great. A bit extra in donations will be well worth it. The additional amenities do not require one to use them, but for those who want/need them they will be most welcome and we are all for it.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Plenty of trees at Doe Lake, and we have a 38 mile long trail to explore and even camp along, in case you want the "remote experience".

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast