Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro-Fly
    Suspension
    Random assortment

NOOB!!! Hey everyone

I introduced myself on the introductions tab.

I'm going to post my kit here, I know it's not top of the line, and there are tons of opinions about what is "best" but this is what I have.

I would love it if people could give me some tips and tricks related to my gear, or general. that will make my life easier as i get started.

Hammock: ENO Double Nest
    Bug net: ENO Guardian Bug Net
    Tarp: ENO Pro-Fly
    Hangers: endless supply of nylon webbing, carabiners and rock-climbing stuff.

For underside I have many things available. Closed cell foam pads, army surplus wool blanket, old (heavy) army sleeping bag.

The sleeping bag may work inside the hammock because it actually doesn't compress much. it is made for outdoor ground sleeping without a pad. the wool blanket would also be okay inside the hammock. If i can find a way to rig the bag as an underquilt without altering it that would be cool too. But i don't want to cut or damage the bag in any way since I still use it when the family tent camps.

For top side I have whatever underside stuff above that I don't use. I have a couple of 20* mummy bags. or whatever blankets I feel like bringing.

For drive and drop camping i have no problem taking a down comforter off of our guest bed (if i can sneak it into the car before my wife sees me ) for fast packing it will be me, my hammock and an emergency blanket. but those are fare weather trips in the summer. so insulation won't be a problem then. I'll actually look forward to the coolness of the hammock over the ground pad after a long day's run, also the lack of snakes, mice and big scary bugs trying to share my bed.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    TIP: Take two of your closed cell foam pads and cut one up to add 'wings' to the other, so that you have insulation under your shoulders as well.

Between the pads and the sleeping bag, you should have plenty of insulation to handle most of the cold you're likely to be out in. (I'm assuming the military bag is an ICW-Intermediate Cold Weather).

Summer camping, I'd suggest you still take the pad, and your wool blanket, over using the space blanket.

Space blankets aren't insulation. They're vapor barriers and wind blocks.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    ENO DBL - Try hanging it with foot a few inches higher than the head. It will help keep you from sliding down and also helps with the dreaded calf ridgeline issues.

Bug Net and Hammock - Permethrin spray in summer is a good thing. It will keep the bugs completely away from your set up. Be sure to spray outside, let dry, and if you have cats do NOT let them any place around it until it is dry. It will kill them.

Cold Weather camping - Don't forget a hat, gloves, loose wool socks, and a hot water bottle inside a zip lock bag inside a wool sock is your best friend.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro-Fly
    Suspension
    Random assortment
    thanks for the tips. keep them coming!

I hear ya about the space blanket. the wool blanket is a no-go for fast packing. can't run with that. Think of a large cammelback pack, that's ALL the space I have. and most of it needs to be water. a cell-foam pad is light enough to run with, but is too big in volume. I think i would need something more packable and inflatable. But again fastpacking trips are in the summer. like 70* at night. I have only done them on the ground so far and been hot. my buddy uses the hamock and no insulation other than wind block works well for him.

For cold weather trips, I'll have a much more substantial pack, or do drive up. so then I'll use the wool and bags.

Thanks for all the ideas. keep them coming!

• + New Posts