Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20° Wookie
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Getting outside

https://coloradosun.com/2020/01/29/f...or-recreation/

I found this article in my Google news feed, I thought some of you would find it interesting

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kac1269 View Post
    https://coloradosun.com/2020/01/29/f...or-recreation/

I found this article in my Google news feed, I thought some of you would find it interesting
    Not surprised, but maybe not a bad thing that people who are recreating outside are doing so closer to home.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    My selfish side says "I wish half of these people would stay in side as well as trails are getting too crowded" My practical side says "What do you do if you do not play outside"?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20° Wookie
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    My selfish side says "I wish half of these people would stay in side as well as trails are getting too crowded" My practical side says "What do you do if you do not play outside"?
    I agree with you!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    I feel bad for the kids. They have no idea what is out there and how beautiful our land is..

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbaghiker View Post
    I feel bad for the kids. They have no idea what is out there and how beautiful our land is..
    Not true, they play video games that have some resemblance to nature.
    On a more serious note, it’s amazing how much happier my child is after a backpacking trip. I’ve heard from a few fellow Veterans that hiking helps them too with PTSD. It’s in a way what we went through but you don’t get shot at. Hard to explain.
    If you think you are too small or too unimportant to make a change try
    sleeping in a room with a mosquito.

Dalai Lama.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FromNH View Post
    Not true, they play video games that have some resemblance to nature.
    On a more serious note, it’s amazing how much happier my child is after a backpacking trip. I’ve heard from a few fellow Veterans that hiking helps them too with PTSD. It’s in a way what we went through but you don’t get shot at. Hard to explain.
    I think it's because when we're hiking we're concentrating on something completely outside ourselves, both mentally and physically.

To me, this is especially true when trail running or climbing a hill at a sustainable sub-maximal pace... not enough excess oxygen in the brain to waste worrying about other things!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    My selfish side says "I wish half of these people would stay in side as well as trails are getting too crowded"
    LOL I won't hide it. That's me 100% Walking down the trail all by myself, then I see someone on the horizon and think: "what the hell is this guy doing? get outta here."

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    It's not exactly shocking. We live in an age where people readily watch streams of other people playing video games, to site one small example. However as others have said, if I'm selfish and cynical, I say this is just fine, I'm seeking solitude when I'm hiking/backpacking/paddling etc and the less people the better. Of course then it's the obvious double edged sword, more people comes with a lot more benefits for wild recreation, wild places, keeping trails open, overall health of the population, tourist dollars, the list goes on and on. We never seem to achieve balance as we continue to move forward, we're always swinging between too little or too much.

The report itself is an interesting read, especially if you're into stats. There's a direct download link to the pdf at the beginning of the article.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20° Wookie
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I have noticed that backpacking has gotten more "trendy"for lack of a better word. It is hard to find places that are undisturbed. I packed some scouts in to a beautiful lake. When we're got there, someone had left bind an entire camp of junk. An old tent, wrecked boots, all kinds of trash. We packed it all out of course! That is not to mention all the trash I find in almost all fire pits. I agree that people spend too much time indoors, they just need be better stewards of the land and be taught more respect for it. I always say I can't wait till "outside" isn't trendy anymore.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast