Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Not sure this guy is right in the head...he sleeps on the ground.
    good one
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    First Golite product I bought the year they started business....99 or 2000 ish....was their umbrella. At the time it was not the reflective chrome version, they had not come out with that one yet. I used it off and on for a few years and liked it reasonably well. Still have it but it's been a while since I have taken it hiking. The article was very well written, good find.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    3 custom hk2001 Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    IX Double Dog Bun
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch straps

Mine was no ultra lite model ...

AT 2011: We were dropped off in the rain and it was cold out - forecast called for heavy rain all day. As we bundled up and put our packs on for the long haul, we were protected from the rain since we were under the lifted rear hatch of my fathers Explorer. He sat in the drivers seat and must have thought on some level "what kind of idiot did I raise." Looking at me through the rear view mirror, he simply said "why don't you take that umbrella right there". Something made me say OK. I can only guess I agreed to take it to keep him from going insane. We'd be picked up three days later and I knew he'd be expecting it back. So I used it that entire day and carried it the rest of the way. I still got soaked, but I was not as bad as my buddy. We were doing short stretches and sleeping at just about every shelter we came to. The extra weight wasn't too bad, and the look on other hikers faces was priceless. The article is correct -they politely ask about the umbrella but are secretly thinking ... what an idiot. Though the pic below may not look like it. It did help and made life a little better. Especially after we got dried and changed at the shelter, but then went out for water, to the 'privy', etc... That's when I appreciated it the most.

Here we stopped to eat lunch. This is the only photo I could find and had to take a picture of the picture with my phone.

Was it worth the weight the other two days, maybe not, but we still talk about it and that's worth it right there. Good times, good stories, and good friends.
    -Turtle Creek

Hammock
    Sheltowee 'Jemima'
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter HUGE
    Insulation
    Burrow/integrated
    Suspension
    of course!
    Images
    Happily use my little umbrella. Others may laugh and sneer...but if I get wet it's from rain, not more sticky stinky sweat. I use only one hiking stick when deploying umbrella, haven't regretted the decision yet.
    Real Freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. ~ Charles Lindbergh

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Well I grew up in Western Oregon, it was frowned upon to use an umbrella. So I just never owned one. Then I moved to the south, it rained it was hot and humid, I bought my first umbrella.

So now I have been all over North America, back in Oregon, I really hate the rain and the gray days. I bought one of the Golite Chrome umbrella's I love it. I use it to keep the sun off, the rain. I figure I could use it as a signal device if I get in trouble on the trail.

I was reading one or Ray Jardine's books, he went into great detail about umbrella's and how great they are. He gave all sorts of info about getting rid of all excess weight. Interesting reading, he really was ahead of his time. I get sort of sick when I remember how beautiful he was in motion while climbing. Too bad we all get older, I tend to forget how experienced in life I am getting until I look at current images of old friends.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Let's face it. In some cases an umbrella can be a pain. try going up or down a hill that requires you to use your hands. Think of the picture of someone using an umbrella and a hiking pole at the same time. It might work, but it depends on the situation. I use my rain jacket for many other purposes, such as wind breaker, shell in cold weather and for keeping the bugs off when I'm in the hammock.

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    Great article! Thank you Dos. I'd like to try one with the little shock cord/cord lock DIY thing the author linked to: http://packandpaddle.blogspot.com/20...your-pack.html

I like the idea of windblock for cooking, closing off an end of your tarp, and a screen for peeing ! woo hoo!

Senior Member Michelle the Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat clone, OES
    Insulation
    PLUQ & DIYdown
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I love having an umbrella on the trail. I would love to upgrade my little $6 Wal-mart umbrella for a Go Lite Chrome Dome, but until then...I'll keep on trucking. In the shade, and out of the rain.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I decided to give umbrellas a try this year. I just picked up one made by Frogg Toggs. Cost was $10 and weight is 8 1/2 ounces. It is listed as a travel umbrella and does look reasonably durable.

Hammock
    BIAS, WB
    Crawlingroad on youtube advocates a wilderness umbrella... Nutn'fancy has a video on the Blunt Umbrellas which are real quality. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vgvZQohdFs

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast