OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c4mailman.pb View Post
    ... (I know, man card in jeopardy. )...
    Heck, I say you get man points for doing what works and not caring what others think!
    Hobo Off The Ground All Year Round: 8 7
    consecutive months since the start, 9/2015 through 11/2022

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    For me, an umbrella is an essential part of hiking comfortably in the rain. My rain kit includes a rain jacket (frog toggs most of the time, a better quality EMS or LL Bean w/b jacket in colder temps), an umbrella, a pack cover (hacked from a trash compactor bag), and a rain kilt. I have rain pants, but never use them except in winter (but I'd probably carry them if in higher elevations).

The umbrella alone is great in warmer weather or intermittent rain. As it gets colder, on goes the jacket, but since I have the umbrella, no hat or hood is needed, and the jacket can be opened more for ventilation. And since the jacket doesn't wet out, it actually can breathe as much as the fabric will allow.

BTW, all my hiking is in the northeast - Adirondacks, Greens, Whites, and the umbrella does not get shredded. The trick is to hold it loosely enough to roll with the punches. I usually hear the "it won't survive" comments from folks who haven't tried one. When I'm using it, the comments I hear most are "great idea, wish I had one."

No, it's not much use above timberline in the wind.

If you're committed to using 2 trekking poles, you won't like it either. I'm a one-stick guy.

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    I was on a trip last year where it was in the 40s (F) the entire time, and rained several hours each day. I found that I’d sweat until I was soaked wearing a rain jacket, but I’d stay warm hiking even without the rain jacket. (I hike warm.)

For myself, I’ve determined that I really only require rain protection at night when I need to answer nature’s call, and I’m wearing my designated dry clothes. The umbrella is much better for that than a rain jacket would be. I hate leaving my very nice (and fairly expensive) rain jacket at home, but the umbrella has proven far more useful for me.

It’s also fantastic to have in the sun.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I've started taking an umbrella. To me, it is worth the 6 ounces if I know it is going to rain. I can tuck the handle in my chest strap and don't have to carry it. I just put it away if I need to do a little scrambling or the trail gets too tight.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    I've started taking an umbrella. To me, it is worth the 6 ounces if I know it is going to rain. I can tuck the handle in my chest strap and don't have to carry it. I just put it away if I need to do a little scrambling or the trail gets too tight.
    Which umbrella do you have? Six ounces sounds pretty good
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    Which umbrella do you have? Six ounces sounds pretty good
    The description says 7oz, but mine is 6 (maybe since I took the cover off). I'm sure that it won't last forever, but not a big investment.

umbrella.JPG

umbrella 2.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    I was on a trip last year where it was in the 40s (F) the entire time, and rained several hours each day. I found that I’d sweat until I was soaked wearing a rain jacket, but I’d stay warm hiking even without the rain jacket. (I hike warm.)
    Same here. Even if it's breathable, that stuff is a joke. I had my expensive Gore-tex jacket a couple weeks ago. I wore it hiking out at 19°. When I got to my car I had to "peel" it off my arms it was so wet inside. Most useless invention ever.

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Same here. Even if it's breathable, that stuff is a joke. I had my expensive Gore-tex jacket a couple weeks ago. I wore it hiking out at 19°. When I got to my car I had to "peel" it off my arms it was so wet inside. Most useless invention ever.
    Totally. I’m not sure if “breathable” is a downright lie, or just something I sweat too much to experience.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    Totally. I’m not sure if “breathable” is a downright lie, or just something I sweat too much to experience.
    The problem is, any sweat that you notice/bothers you, is the sweat that won't pass thru quick enough. I guess if you're sitting at a football game for 3 hours with no more activity than raising one arm to drink a beer that entire time, the vapor may pass thru. But the little demo they do in a lab will make it sound like you could sweat Niagara falls thru the membrane.

The good thing is, I'm finally over it. Softshell or fleece in the cold snow. 100% waterproof non-DWR rain jacket in the cold rain. Anything else and it's too warm to need a jacket anyway so I just get wet (60°+) and dry out later.

But this umbrella thing I could possibly get into.

• + New Posts
  • Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223