WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Pool noodles. Good idea. I hike using Pacer poles(IMHO, the "best" poles).

Have been using for awhile a snow peak brand (?model) umbrella. Very light and compact. Only negative is wishing some days it had a reflective outer material for those too sunny situations. Some days wishing it had a bit more coverage. The compromise for mass and volume.

Years ago did look into an umbrella that had some form of backpack strap attachment system. Bit too pricey and just another thing to fail at the wrong time. Your pool noodle idea gave me another idea. The split pipe insulation material and couple O-rings. Couple lengths of Omni or Velcro to lash it to the straps.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeVee View Post
    So I was piqued enough by this discussion to acquire a Six Moon Designs Silver Shadow umbrella (8 ozs).
    I carried it on a 10 mile hike figuring it would be handy in the afternoon. No rain expected but upper 80s and dry. I saw 91* on the thermometer on my pack strap (was probably more like 88*).
    Happy to say that using the umbrella allowed me to take off my cap and walk in the shade.
    Supporting the umbrella was a struggle. I finally jammed the end knob of the umbrella handle under the sternum strap on my left side and this was barely acceptable.
    At this point I'm quessing that I'll need to lengthen the handle by 6" or so and find a better way to attach it to the shoulder strap. Nice idea just not fully realized yet.
    Most people I have seen on the PCT use a bungie cord or NiteIze twisty tie. Some use a smaller version of the poodle noodle - maybe about a 3 inch section, but I found the poodle noodle to be more trouble than it's worth.
    I am shorter, so I slip it under my sterum strap and use the NiteIze twist tie. Don't get the 12 inch one....PIA.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I will never be seen with an unbrella hiking

Ever

Ever

Not ever
    Tacblades

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    Never? Never.
    Never? No never?
    Never?
    ... Well hardly ever.

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    I bought some large silicone rubber bands and medium sized short bungee with cord locks from Amazon. See what I can rig up.

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    A bit of fiddling and I came up with this:

The foam is just a piece of something from the garage and I think the white "picnic cooler" foam would be better. The bungee at top goes around the pack shoulder strap. The bungee at the bottom passes thru the sewn-on ladder and behind the shoulder strap. This puts the umbrella above the top of the pack, doesn't rub or snag, and over my (left) shoulder at a slight angle. PITA but do-able to switch it over to the other shoulder.
    Of course it would be lighter if I was using micro cord locks on thinner bungee cord but my arthritic hands deal with these better.
    One last thing - I chose the red cord in the hopes that I can spot them if, or when, they decide to go off trekking on their own.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    With the forecast promising rain I took my Marmot Mica rain jacket and my Swing Liteflex on the trail for the first time. A drizzle started right away and it was so easy to deploy the umbrella. No need to stop, take off the backpack, put on the jacket, zip it up, put on the backpack. As I walked along I was comfortably warm in my clothes, and I am sure I would have overheated if I had worn the jacket. When the rain stopped, I just closed the umbrella and stored it without needing to stop. When the rain started again, I had it deployed again in a jiffy. Love the umbrella! And in hot sunny days I just know that it will earn its weight and then some. Won't hike without it!

This was a test in very mild rain. I will still take may jacket to wear during heavy downpours, specially in colder weather. But I anticipate that most of the time the umbrella will be enough. It really is a marvelous tool. Get the one with the outer silver surface, to help reflect away the sunlight.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware cinch
    I had a friend that tried this and ended up soaked AND had extra stuff to carry - he swore he would never do it again.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Prefer umbrella. Quick deploy. Protects from sun and rain. Warm and or humid conditions even with the breathable, pit/torso zip rain wear I end up soaked with my own sweat.
    Not an ultralight weight minimalist. But I do give items that are multifunctional priority when I thin down the load.

Never got around to sewing up a rain kilt. I guess I must enjoy damp thighs to toes Thinking the kilt plus umbrella is a decent combo. Plus if the kilt is designed properly it can double up as a short poncho to deal with those dry, windy and cooler conditions you may encounter. Kilt can also serve as a waterproof butt pad, something to set gear down in wet or dirty conditions. Umbrella unless real windy can also function as a bit of a wind break for you, to start up wood burning camp stove..... Multi functional beyond rain protection.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    "Bit of a wind break" indeed _always_ keeping in mind that mylar and flame don't mix😨.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast